Magnetic Cache Question

If there is residue from your earlier attempted products, say superglue, still left on the magnet, the next product(s) will not stick to that product. You have to remove all traces of previous glues so you are trying to bond directly to the magnet.

Try 2 part epoxy. Auto parts stores have a product called steel clay, two polymers in a stick that you knead together to activate. It bonds to many products that are troublesome.

Or if container is large enuff, put metal washer inside, drill hole through, and use a nut and bolt. seal with silicone. More work, but it'll stick.

Hope that helps.

Here in the sticks, the farmers all rely on three things: pliers, baling twine, and elbow grease. <_<

Another, more involved approach is to inlay the magnet into a small piece of wood, then glue the wood to the container. After inlaying the magnet (and gluing it into place), you can seal the wood against the elements with any number of outdoor wood sealants and lacquers.

Pretty much nothing will sick to polyethylene, which is what film canisters and Tupperware are made of. There are a few solutions, however.

You can cover the outside of the container with duct tape, and place the magnet under that

You can place the magnet inside the container. This only works well for rare-earth magnets, though, as ceramic magnets tend to be too weak.

You can mechanically attach the magnet to the container. For example, you can drill a hole through the container and the magnet and bolt the magnet to the container. But be sure to use silicone to seal around the hole completely!

Don't use a polyethylene container. Metal surfaces ca, if properly prepared, hold a magnet. But ceramic magnets are kind of problematic anyway, as they don't hold glue very well, either.

Go to a good "home town" hardware store and ask for a 2 part epoxy called PC-7. If you are gluing plastic be sure to clean it well with a good de-greaser and roughen it before gluing. If mixed properly, PC-7 will last for years in the outdoors. Stay clear of 5 and 30 minute epoxies. They are not stable in the long run. Hope this helps.

What type of container are you using?

I've had good luck gluing one inch disk magnets to the bottoms of film canisters. I've had no failures in all types of weather.

It is best if you roughen both surfaces first.

I just realized that my post doesn't mention what type of glue I use. I think I'm losing it.

I use Outdoor Goop.

Insp Gadget:

You did not say what is the material of the container. A ceramic magnet should be easy to glue to most things except some plastics. A type of glue I have been using for some things lately is Polyurethane. This slightly expands and sticks to most everything well. Just follow directions and wet at least one surface (uses moisture to cure). I have attached a ceramic magnet to an altoids container and it is a strong hold. See Gorilla glue and others at your hardware store.

BYW, Home Depot sell several sizes of magnets, on the aisle with fasteners, rope, wall anchors.

Can you get "earth magnets" or other powerful magnets at a hardware store?

Force Feild sells rare earth magnets pretty cheap.

NdFeB catalog

the $20 grab bag

Amazing Magnets is the cheapest I found for Rare Earth Magnets, they have a 6 pack of 1.000" Dia x 0.125" Thick, or 3 pack of 1.000" Dia x 0.250" Thick NdFeB Disc Magnets for $12, though I haven't checked shipping charges.

It's funny I was just looking for magnet resellers last night, and found that site.

I use silicone RTV (at Radio Shack: Silicone Rubber Sealer P/N: 64-2314 $2.99) it seems to handle harsher environments (moisture/temp changes) for longer than most glues I've tried.

Edited by martmann
;)

Woof and I just found GOOP for outdoors....good from 40 below zero to 150 in summer. We followed directions, went shopping, and when we came back it was

stuck solid...found it at Walgreens of all places ! Haven't seen it at Wallyworld tho...

Thats the stuff I use. I bought it at Home Depot.

I've glued magnets to film canisters in the field and been able to place them after just a few minutes. I've had great results even after they have been in place for several months.

Amazing Magnets is the cheapest I found for Rare Earth Magnets, they have a 6 pack of 1.000" Dia x 0.125" Thick, or 3 pack of 1.000" Dia x 0.250" Thick NdFeB Disc Magnets for $12, though I haven't checked shipping charges.

Check out Lee Valley Hardware (see Crimnal's link). A 5 pack of the 1" x 1/8" magnets is $8.95. These suckers really stick. Sometimes getting them apart is a chore.

Edited by briansnat
Insp Gadget:

You did not say what is the material of the container. A ceramic magnet should be easy to glue to most things except some plastics. A type of glue I have been using for some things lately is Polyurethane. This slightly expands and sticks to most everything well. Just follow directions and wet at least one surface (uses moisture to cure). I have attached a ceramic magnet to an altoids container and it is a strong hold. See Gorilla glue and others at your hardware store.

BYW, Home Depot sell several sizes of magnets, on the aisle with fasteners, rope, wall anchors.

I am trying to glue the magnet onto a small Tupperware container.

Insp Gadget - I would recommend a slightly larger "rare earth" magnet INSIDE the container.

One of my experiments was a 1/2" x 1/4" x 1" rare earth magnet inside a platsic container. I would estimate the holding power to be somewhere above 5 pounds.

I have refurbished my Altoids tin containers to have small magnets inside them, but they are steel so small magnets work well.

I have found some wonderfully powerful magnets at the Hobby Lobby stores and they come in all sizes! Almost as powerful as the hard drive magnets that I have used! Make sure the plastic is roughed up and at room temperature before using your choice of glue! I have had great luck with the two part epoxies that require a 2 hour set up peroid and on some of my plastic containers, I use a high end waterproof silicone that is made for aquariums! It stays flexible when dried so that it won't allo the magnet to flex off and of course it is waterproof. Make sure to have the magnet clean of oils and fingerprints by wiping them down with alcohol and letting them dry and then using latex gloves while working with the glue, makes clean up easier and keeps the plastic and the magnets clean. Good luck.

Darkmoon

1/4 drill

1/4-20 bolt

1/4-20 nut

1/4 fender washer

(optional) 1/10 oz silicone sealer

directions:

drill hole in magnet and tupperware

place 1/4 bolt through magnet and tupperware and fender washer

(optional) liberally spread silicone sealer on washer before assembly

place 1/4-20 nut on 1/4-20 bolt and tighten as tight as you can get it

give it a 1/4 turn clockwise

place cache on ferrous metallic surface

Before using epoxy on a smooth surface, scuff the surface with Scotchbrite until water spreads across the surface instead of beading. If you do this, unless you're trying to attach the magnet to teflon or the like, it will stick. I picked up this tip from a chemical engineer who KNOWS epoxies.

JB Weld is my epoxy of choice.

I ordered a 50 pack of 1/4" by 1/16" disk magnets from Amazing Magnets last Sunday night and they arrived today. With shipping, it came to only $10.25! They included a sample pack of their other magnets; they're fun!

The 1/4" magnets are a little smaller than I envisioned, but they'll easily hold up a micro (I plan on using 4 on an altoid-sized tin). They are very strong for the size. Some of the larger ones in the sample pack are amazingly strong and were difficult to pry apart.

I'd recommend these guys to anyone looking for rare earth magnets. :D

I give up. I bought a nice ceramic magnet yesterday and wanted to attach it to the bottom of a small cache container. I tried super glue, contact cement, duct tape, tie wraps etc. It seems NOTHING sticks to the magnet and the tie wrap gets in the way too much. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have had very good luck with a hot glue gun, Any craft store or hardware store will have these. I have also use two part epoxy. I just find a glue gun faster and easier. I have never had good luck with super glue, and contact cement does not work all the time. ;)

Pretty much nothing will sick to polyethylene, which is what film canisters and Tupperware are made of.  There are a few solutions, however.

You can cover the outside of the container with duct tape, and place the magnet under that

You can place the magnet inside the container.  This only works well for rare-earth magnets, though, as ceramic magnets tend to be too weak.

You can mechanically attach the magnet to the container.  For example, you can drill a hole through the container and the magnet and bolt the magnet to the container.  But be sure to use silicone to seal around the hole completely!

Don't use a polyethylene container.  Metal surfaces ca, if properly prepared, hold a magnet.  But ceramic magnets are kind of problematic anyway, as they don't hold glue very well, either.

I have quite a few 35mm film cans with magnets on them, try using a hot glue gun and don't be stingy with the glue

Edited by JohnnyVegas

GOOP in all of its forms (aren't they really all the same?) is amazing stuff. Very useful.

I had to abrade the surface of the magnets to get epoxy to stick to them. I actually sandblasted one. Worked fine.

But most commonly, I wrap the {item + magnet} in electrical tape.