Too Big Of A Bin

TimSkells

At drug mart they sell like 25 gallon bins for $7 (stong tuppawear bins).

Obviously this is to big for a cache but what if it was dug a hole and burried so just the lid was visiable and sticks were placed over it. Then would this be a problem.

Reason I was asking was bc then we could have some real big caches to hold lots of things.

This is too much to markwell, but it would be best if you did some searching the forums and took a good look at the guidelines for hiding caches. In both places you will find that this is not allowed as caches are not allowed to be buried. There are numerous threads on this issue that would make good reading. The guidelines state it very clearly that you may not use any kind of digging tool in hiding or finding a cache.

Hmm... if it isn't allowed to bury caches partially (leaving the top visible, though covered with sand/leaves/branches), then there are quite many "illegal" caches in Holland at least. Nearly all of the Dutch caches I have found so far have been buried. It does say in the cache descriptions that no digging is needed, which in fact, is true. If you know the cache is buried, then you also know that it can be found without digging thousand holes around the cache site. You just have to carry a stick (no shovel!) or something to "stab" the ground... until you find the container. All the cache sites have been very neat, no problems with digging or so. There is just one hole for the container, which is also covered to look like ground (so the area around the cache looks good and unspoiled).

I wouldn't see it as a problem if the cache is partially buried. Just as long as cachers know they don't have to dig to find the cache. Then again, different countries have different rules and laws... and that is another story... :unsure:

To be abundantly clear, the Off Limit (Physical) Caches section of the Geocaching Listing Requirements/Guidelines state that:

Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Thus, a buried container is contrary to the guidelines if a hole was dug by the hider, even if no digging is required on the part of the finder.

In addition to the desire to avoid damage to the environment, the prohibition of buried caches was added in response to land manager impressions that geocachers were burying treasure chests in parks. This was the primary reason cited for the ban on geocaching on property managed by the U.S. National Park Service. In dealing with land managers, this is a frequently asked question and I have found it very helpful to state that the site listing requirements forbid caches that are buried.

If you locate an existing hole, for example one created by a rotted-out stump, or if you can place the cache by just moving aside sand or other soft earth without the aid of a "pointy object", then that is fine.

If you locate an existing hole, for example one created by a rotted-out stump, or if you can place the cache by just moving aside sand or other soft earth without the aid of a "pointy object", then that is fine.

So you're saying that a cache in a hole dug only by using one's hands would be aproved?

To be abundantly clear, the Off Limit (Physical) Caches section of the Geocaching Listing Requirements/Guidelines state that:

Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Thus, a buried container is contrary to the guidelines if a hole was dug by the hider, even if no digging is required on the part of the finder.

In addition to the desire to avoid damage to the environment, the prohibition of buried caches was added in response to land manager impressions that geocachers were burying treasure chests in parks. This was the primary reason cited for the ban on geocaching on property managed by the U.S. National Park Service. In dealing with land managers, this is a frequently asked question and I have found it very helpful to state that the site listing requirements forbid caches that are buried.

i thought this was a listing service.Alot of rules for a listing service.

At drug mart they sell like 25 gallon bins for $7 (stong tuppawear bins).

Obviously this is to big for a cache but what if it was dug a hole and burried so just the lid was visiable and sticks were placed over it. Then would this be a problem.

Reason I was asking was bc then we could have some real big caches to hold lots of things.

It's a moot point anyway. A bin this size for 7 bucks is not going to be watertight.

I have used a watertight 5 gallon container and placed it inside of a large hollowed out stump. It lasted until a forest fire ran over the area.

I wouldn't think placing the large container inside of a hole that already exisits as being against any site rules. I recently came across a series of test holes dug in the ground by the BLM. You could fit a 55 gallon steel or plastic drum in one of those.

hmmmmmm

You'd definately want to mention that in a note to the approver though. Seriously though, I don't think a cache would ever get so full as to need to be a big garbage can type thing...

I don't see any logic in that either but.... what if I wanted to screw a TB tag to my wifes forehead and send her off to greener pastures? Why this could be a great way to start her off.

We recently found a huge book swap cache - it is a 3-4 gallon rubbermaid storage bin strategically located in a wooded area. It has a bungee around it to keep the lid on tightly. Inside was a twisted-shut white bin bag; inside this bag were smaller bags containing the logbook and the trade books.

There had just been rain and a couple inches of snow a few days before we found that one. Many of the other caches we visited hidden in similar environmental conditions (including our own on maintenance visit) had some moisture inside. The huge cache had not a drop of moisture in it.

It has been out since the summer.

This is comparing plastic to plastic, not plastic to ammo can.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one ammo can that was wet inside, and that was because it had been switched into hiding to replace a tupperware gone leaky, and some of the wet contents were also switched into the fresh ammo can ;)