# Found In Log Entries

4agers

Maybe I'm just not observant enough, but what is the deal with the (## Found) next to your name when you create a log entry? I guess I always thought that was the number of caches found at the time you found that particular cache.

Now that I look back at some of our older logs, I see a more recent number. Personally, I would like to see the number of caches people had under their belt at the time of finding the cache, not currently. I would think this would be particularly handy for a cache owner looking back at their logs to see how challenging the cache really is.

I doubt it would be that hard to implement either. Of course I say that completely ignorant of GC's environment and db structure. How about having (xxx/yyy found) behind the user name. xxx=count at the time & yyy=current count.

Please Markwell if this has already been discussed, searching for log & count returned way to many hits.

It used to be your current total at the time the page was looked at.

It was removed (if memory serves) Enough people wanted to see the actual numbers to where a compromised was made.

The number now only updates when the page is updated by a log, etc.

The original issue was bandwidth.

Your idea is a good one. I only need to know the number at the time someone finds my cache. It helps to know that a skunk was by someone with 1 find vs. 200.

When I go to our first find it says "79 found".  Which would mean it updates that # each time the page is refreshed or during a batch at night.  I would prefer for it to remain "1 found".

HA! You shoulda been around some time back, you woulda had your wish. It was changed that way for exactly I think 2 days, and there were so many complaints from people who didn't like it, it was changed to the current way.

The idea was always to show your current find count anyway. If you want to know what your personal find number was, just add it to each of your logs. I start all my logs with:

find number time x/y caches today

Like:

#405 3:15pm 3/5 today

I'm not doing it to brag how many I have, or how fast I did them, or how many I do in a day, (mainly 'cause none of those stats of mine is worth bragging about!), I do it for the same reason you want it added to the site, for my own use. Since it's for my use and not anyone elses, I don't see a problem with taking 3 extra seconds to add it to my logs.

Edited by Mopar

OK, so how does the xxx/yyy found sound? It sounds like it would please both camps and would be easy to implement... especially if it was already setup that way in the past.

I will probably begin numbering them somehow like Mopar does. RK has a good point and it still won't help the cache owners.

OK, so how does the xxx/yyy found sound? It sounds like it would please both camps and would be easy to implement... especially if it was already setup that way in the past.

I will probably begin numbering them somehow like Mopar does. RK has a good point and it still won't help the cache owners.

Actually, it's probably pretty darn hard to add. I'm no database guy, but I'm thinking the task uf adding a new field to the database, then calculating that info for every user thats ever used the site, and adding it to what I would guess is millions of logs, would be a HUGE task. Besides, for many users it would not be as accurate as manually entering it anyway. I am usually a bit slow with logging my finds. I'm often 10-30 caches behind. But if there is a problem with a cache, or I grabbed a TB, I try to log those caches ASAP. Therefore, I rarely log my caches in the exact order I found them. Many other cachers I know don't either. They might just log trhem in the order they are listed in the GPS, or their PDA, or whatever order the log sheets happen to be in when they get home.

You shoulda been around some time back, you woulda had your wish. It was changed that way for exactly I think 2 days, and there were so many complaints from people who didn't like it, it was changed to the current way.

Mopar, I hate to disagree, but I think you are mistaken.

I never recall the find number on cache logs to correlate to the number of finds at the time of the log. What I remember is that way back, it used to be a real-time number, updated each time someone looked at the page.

Jeremy redid the cache pages, and removed the number of finds, thus creating havoc. (this is probably the two days of complaints you remember)

He took a poll, and decided to reinstate the nuimber of finds, but it would a semi-static number, updated only when the page itself was refreshed.

Personally, I agree with the topic poster. I'd like my first find to have a (1) by it, and my 100th find to have a (100) by it. That would give more information than the somewhat-liquid numbers that are there now.

Jamie