Micro Travel Bugs

geko 201

I've seen regular Travel Bugs in micros in the past year - or more accurately, under, over, or beside the micro. Don't see a real need to actually put it inside the micros unless the hiding conditions demand it.

Another option if the bug couldn't be hidden with the micro - a note inside the micro giving the exact location of the bug, which would be hidden nearby. An instant multi cache if you will. :)

You can always cut the metal tag into smaller pieces, but the big problem and issue will be that people will not recognize it as a travel bug. And people are not used to see travel bugs in small caches.

An another issue might be film canisters. If you are releasing a new cache and wants to put a micro travel bug inside, then must you most probably reduce the size of the logbook. Normally does a logbook and pencil make the film canister full, perhaps you can squeeze something really small - like a fuse - into it.

But it you reduce the size, will it be worth a smaller logbook in a micro just because it once had a micro travel bug in the cache?

The logbook are very often a big issue in micro caches...

I've seen regular Travel Bugs in micros in the past year - or more accurately, under, over, or beside the micro. Don't see a real need to actually put it inside the micros unless the hiding conditions demand it.

Another option if the bug couldn't be hidden with the micro - a note inside the micro giving the exact location of the bug, which would be hidden nearby. An instant multi cache if you will. ;)

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!! And I have proof of its wrongess. Someone put a travel bug near a cache in Cape Cod, they didn't want to go back and open the container when they'd realized that they forgot to leave the bug. So they stuck it under a nearby whiskey barrel and left a note on the cache page. The mann had to use all his strength to hold the barrel up for me to retrieve it, risking limb! Then he had to lift it again so I could grab the other piece of the now broken bug. A micro is usually placed because it's not a good area for a traditional, either high traffic or otherwise. Placing it nearby doesn't guarantee that it will be found or that it won't be damaged. Feel free to log them in and out of micros, but I think leaving one nearby and not in a cache is just plain asking for trouble, and if it was my bug I'd make you go back and get it and do it right! Well, I would ask anyway. Bad idea, BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD.

If you get creative, there are many ways to make a micro bug. Here is one from our area:309584_300.JPG

Here is another: 20944_200.jpg

The first one had the top and bottom shaved off, allowing it to fit in most micros. The second one was bent into a coil with the tracking number visible on the outside. The second one, you lose the minimal instructional text, but it appears to be moving along just fine without it (well, until it was grabbed by a new cacher that has yet to find his/her second cache, but that is a risk with all bugs).