Planting A Seed

rusty_tlc

Seed caches came earlier this week, first time I've ever heard of this idea. So I searched the forums and read the threads. Not a lot there but the basics. I decided that instead of crying about no new caches for me to find a seed cache would be a good idea. I have been hitting the Dollar Tree, Big lots, places like that pricing out how much it would cost to do a reasonable sized seed cache. Before I procede I thought it wise to tap the collective wisdom of this agust forum for advice.

The questions;

-Other than the cache container, log book, pencil, and cache note how much swag would be good to put in the babies?

-Would one good item be better than a few lesser items?

-How sucessfull have the seed caches you know about or have placed been.

-Is it likely that some of the babies will share the fate of TB's?

-How many babies would you consider to be the min?

-How long do you maintain the cache as a seed cache?

-Do you archive the cache or convert it to a traditional?

I appreciate the benifit of your collective knowledge.

I had a "spawn" cache for a while until it got muggled. :D

Your Cache was filled with a constantly changing array of cache containers that had my signature etched into each one. Cachers could take a container and name it whatever they wanted. Each cache was ready to go with a logbook and writing instrument.

I don't think I would sweat the swag issue. They're already getting a free container! :D

9Key Posted on Jan 8 2004, 10:22 PM

I don't think I would sweat the swag issue.

I was thinking a nice biener or somthing might be a good incentive, for what I dont know. Your right! They get a nice piece of gladware, a pencil, sharpener, and notebook. What more do they want? Blood? :D

I'm vacilliating between two areas.

One is kind of far away (50Miles) and wouldn't be to easy to restock. It is in an are where some of "us" are planning a geocaching event. I was hoping to increase the cache density in the area to draw more out of state cachers to the event.

The other place would be just plain cause there aint enough caches around these 'har parts.

This is a great idea for cache poor areas. I can remember in the past year suggesting this several times to the sole geocachers in places like Hong Kong to get the sport going and give them something to hunt.

All it takes is one local geocacher (often an expatriate from the US or Europe) to seed the area, without the problems caused by unmaintained "vacation caches" left by visitors.

erik - geocaching.com admin

Seed caches are great ideas, but try to make the containers something more than a film canister micros, lest thats all you'll wind up with in your area. Decon boxes, or smaller sized Tupperware containers are good and several fit nicely in an ammo box.

I use pint sized Lock-n-lock containers and decon boxes. I don't have any "seed caches", but I ocassionally stock one of my caches with a ready to go cache. Logbook, laminated geocaching letter, Ziploc bag and pencil.

Edited by briansnat
I ocassionally stock one of my caches with a ready to go cache. Logbook, laminated geocaching letter, Ziploc bag and pencil.

briansnat reminds me of what I consider a worthwhile variation of the "seed cache" concept - that being the "log only cache". I'm not talking about a micro with only a log, but a large cache containing nothing but log books. See the photo and text on this cache I put out sometime ago.

I wasn't able to keep up with the constant restocking, so it's now a normal cache, but it's gratifying to still find someone elses new cache with one of my log books in it. :D

The log book is probably the hardest single cache item for a newbie to acquire, so this is another worthwhile way to seed an area.

~erik~

Edited by erik88l-r
briansnat reminds me of what I consider a worthwhile variation of the "seed cache" concept - that being the "log only cache".  I'm not talking about a micro with only a log, but a large cache containing nothing but log books.  See the photo and text on this cache I put out sometime ago. 

Nice idea, and nice log books.

I spent a couple of hours at the surplus store today. I found an ammo can that would hold at least one 50 cal ammocan (FTF prize) as well as a half dozen or so 1Gal plastic food storage containers. I started dickering with the guy in the outside yard, kind of way back of the store. He is willing to let me have the big cans for 2/$20 and 50 cal cans @ 10/$50. $5 bucks for a 50 cal can is pretty good around here, they are normally $12. Right now they are on sale for $8.

Edit:Added last sentence.

Edited by rusty_tlc

I had an epiphany about this last night. The main objection to vacation caches is maintenance. What if I host a seed cache for vacation caches? Here's how it goes, you visit the Biggest Little City for a vacation or convention or bowling turney or just to tie the knot. Go to the seed cache grab a cache and hide it. When you post the find I become the local approver. If I feel the cache is appropriate I submit it to TPTB. Okay I can see this breaking down even as I write. Maybe somebody could help me figure it out?

Seed caches are great ideas, but try to  make the containers something more than a film canister micros, lest thats all you'll wind up with in your area.  Decon boxes, or smaller sized Tupperware containers are good and several fit nicely in an ammo box. 

I use  pint sized Lock-n-lock containers and decon boxes.  I don't have any "seed caches", but I ocassionally stock one of my caches with a ready to go cache. Logbook, laminated geocaching letter, Ziploc bag and pencil.

This is a sweet idea. Even just placing one in a general cache as a trade item.

Couple of questions from a relative newbie: What is a Lock-n-lock containers and decon boxes? :D

I am not all keen on distributing microcaches either (but maybe that is just because I haven't found one yet B) ). Has anyone tried using those disposable containers (like what Glad or Ziploc makes)? These are usually packaged in batches and nicely nested so that they do not take much space. Stacked containers next to stacked log books with a bunch of pencils wrapped in a rubber band would make even more room in a seed Cache.

I had an epiphany about this last night. The main objection to vacation caches is maintenance. What if I host a seed cache for vacation caches? Here's how it goes, you visit the Biggest Little City for a vacation or convention or bowling turney or just to tie the knot. Go to the seed cache grab a cache and hide it. When you post the find I become the local approver. If I feel the cache is appropriate I submit it to TPTB. Okay I can see this breaking down even as I write. Maybe somebody could help me figure it out?

It would work. The only problem is to keep the locals from raiding it for containers.

Couple of questions from a relative newbie: What is a Lock-n-lock containers and decon boxes? :D

I am not all keen on distributing microcaches either (but maybe that is just because I haven't found one yet B) ). Has anyone tried using those disposable containers (like what Glad or Ziploc makes)? These are usually packaged in batches and nicely nested so that they do not take much space. Stacked containers next to stacked log books with a bunch of pencils wrapped in a rubber band would make even more room in a seed Cache.

Lock & Lock containers are plastic and have a secure closing mechanism. They are sturdy and waterproof when used correctly.

Decon containers are military surplus items... recycled chemical decontamination kits. They are a bit larger than a can of band-aids, and made of green plastic with a little tab to hook onto a military web belt. Geocachers use that little hanger to fasten a decon container inside of a large bush, hang it from a tree branch, etc. Decon containers are somewhat waterproof, but not universally so. Some have gaskets and some don't.

May I please STRONGLY recommend against EVER using a Gladware or similar disposable plastic container as a cache container. They invariably leak. My worst memories of moldy, smelly caches all involve Gladware. The ONLY acceptable use for Gladware, IMHO, is for temporary caches at a geocaching event, or for purposes where water resistance is not important, such as to hold a laminated card containing instructions for the next leg of a multicache. Please do not use Gladware.

I should also mention that I hate Gladware.

If there is anything unclear about what I just wrote, please ask.

rusty_tlc: You could let your local approver know you will help maintain any caches from your seed that are placed by vacationers. You should be able to work that out as it would cover the biggest problem concerning vacation caches. I questioned a cache that placed by someone that was obviously on vacation and got the response that they had a local cacher taking care of it, so it has been done before.

The Leprechauns: I used Glad-ware at an event cache and it was not even suitable for that. I found a plain zip-lock bag weighted down with a rock made a better container. I tried using the Glad-ware for leftovers but since they are not air tight they didn't even work for that. They crack when you freeze them too! I have not been able to find any suitable use for these things.

When you post the find I become the local approver. If I feel the cache is appropriate I submit it to TPTB. Okay I can see this breaking down even as I write. Maybe somebody could help me figure it out?

It would work. The only problem is to keep the locals from raiding it for containers.

I don't see that as the big problem, heck local or vacationer it's still a cache for me to find. The problem I would have is if I didn't agree with the seed cache placement or theme. I'd have a hard becoming the caretaker for a really bad cache. With a local it's on thier head.

ALgeocacher Posted on Jan 11 2004, 12:52 PM

Wouldnt these seed caches spread alot of micros around though. Personally id rather see caches where something can be placed inside.

I was planning on a BIG pod. And maybe 1 Quart sized Tubbermaid caches.

Moisture isn't as much of a problem around here. I have visited serveral Zip Ware type caches that were a year old and still in good shape.

Yeah...what a great idea. I had only seen one post as to how successful these were, so I started doing some investigating. One person told me that because of bad weather in their area...they haven't had a lot of visitors..but almost all of the ones that did show up, took a seed and planted it. They see it as a success so far. I'm very encouraged by all of the interest and suggestions. From what I have read...the pod or mother cache probably needs to be a pretty easy find. I think I'll keep it close by so I don't have to use a huge container. We are in the desert and there aren't many places to hide anything really big so I'll just replenish it as often as I need to. Please keep posting any good prices...we need to get this out by the time all the "tourists" show up. So...that's another topic. That falls under the Vacation cache if they take a seed and hide it here. AND...is it appropriate for them to take it back to their area? Do I need to specify that in the "rules"? Too many things to worry about....Oh MY!!!!