Best Seattle Caches

JHorner

Visiting Seattle for three days in two weeks and want to spend a day caching. Will be staying near the Fremont neighborhood and need recommendations on caches that cannot be missed.

Lot of great caches...are you going to have access to a rental car? What types of caches...hikes, drive bys, puzzles, etc. WE have them all. Fartherst distance willing to travel from where you will be staying?

I've done a bunch over there for someone who lives 200+ miles away. The one that still amazes me and I remember most is Kerry Viewpoint Park. Its a virt but if you see it at night it will blow your mind. Has to be one of the worlds best view properties.

Yes! I usually don't like virtuals,but this one had one incredible view! Be sure to do this one at night so you get the city lights.

I second (or is it third) the nomination of Kerry Viewpoint Park. If the weather is good go during the day and bring a camera. With luck you'll get a picture postcard view of the city that few ever see. A clear view to Mt. Rainier is probably too much to hope for this time of year, though. Come back at night with or without the camera.

As long as you're on that side of the canal get the very easy Smith Cove Park for an equally rare view of Seattle at work (The fishing fleet).

For more postcard views head over to West Seattle for Hamilton Viewpoint. from there you could hunt Alki Tour #2, but a multi probably isn't really an efficient use of limited recreational time, so just take the drive along the shore, south from Duwamish Head.

Too bad a Troll?s Errand is temporarily archived. It?s the only cache actually in Fremont, but you have to visit waypoint one anyway along, with several other bits of public art in the neighborhood. It?s also too bad Dr. Nellie Bad hasn?t got her rear end in gear to come out with a single stage puzzle.

Bring your rain gear and warm cloths and expect to get damp and cold anyway. No umbrellas, though; Seattleites don?t do umbrellas.

I live in Fremont. Email me if you would like more information. I?ll probably be available as guide/navigator. You might appreciate that when you discover how dysfunctional Seattle?s transportation system is.

I'll see what can be done about getting a clear day or two but it'll be tough. We only get three of them per year and we used five last August. :tongue:

Thought I'd post a few caches in the city that showcase natural settings and views:

Richmond Beach Overlook (there are 3 or 4 caches in this beachfront park)

Huskies, Herons, Horticulture

Wash Out for That Lake (also one of the older caches around, hidden in March 2001)

If you've got a car, and you'd like to go for some nature walks or hikes, let us know. There are many beautiful caching areas in the forested trails on the east side of Lake Washington. Also, if you want a ferry trip, there are caches that will get you to some of the most beautiful locations in the Puget Sound.

Cin

You guys are awesome--I really appreciate the suggestions.

I believe we will have access to a car, but the friend I'll be with is new to caching, so I don't to go too hard core on him at the start. You know how beginners roll their eyes when they don't get the first one they're looking for.

I don;t know how the weather's been up there, but down here it's been raining and there's lots of mud on park trails. Caches that are a drive/bike ride and a little walk would probably be best.

I do also want to get a fair amount of them while I'm up there, too, so a single cache that takes a big investment of time would not be ideal.

But beggars can be choosers!

Most of the trails in Seattle parks are crushed rock or hard packed soil and are not usually too muddy. Some are even asphalt. Some of them do not allow bikes, but most do. Outside the city you will find more trails that tend to get muddy at times. Since the snow left the weather has not been too bad, but you never know around here. Right now the sun is shining with some clouds, but nothing threatening. Tomorrow is another day.

If it's numbers you want, a trip out to the Eastside is a must. I suggest you do a radius search from N47-40 W122-07. That is in Redmond, the center of evil for the Puget Sound region, and possibly the densest concentration of caches around. There will be more than thirty active suburban caches within two miles of that point.

Likewise a search from N47-39 W122-21, the heart of Fremont, AKA The Center of the Universe, will turn up many of the Seattle must see-caches mentioned by myself and others already.

A morning trek across the lake to do your own personal cache machine will get you a lot of finds, quickly. Then a leisurely drive in the city will get you the sight-seeing caches and a few others already mentioned.