Summer Campout Cache Event

Team GPSaxophone

In this thread we got to thinking about having a summer event cache. Rather than derail that thread completely, I've posted this one to get some input from those interested in attending.

I envision hosting an event a few hours from both Denver/Colorado Springs and Albuquerque. Possibly near Raton, NM or in the Oklahoma Panhandle area if that makes it more convenient for cachers further east to attend.

Sugarite Park near Raton has a campground, lake, and hiking trails. I haven't contacted them about having an event yet as this idea just came up tonight.

If you are interested in attending an event around June in this area, please post in this thread with any ideas you have about it.

Since it is an event cache dedicated to the clowns, maybe the mods should all show up so they can keep things under control. We would all have to pay them to deal with you guys in person though.

Yes, we started discussing this in the Forum Clowns thread, however that has nothing to do with the actual event.

If you would like to discuss Forum Clowns, please post in the appropriate thread. Thank you.

If this is in CO, I am interested. I will be new to the area, so I will need to hook up with Tahosa or Imajika. They know the area.

The event will be close enough to Colorado for you to be able to drive there.

I also found John Martin Reservoir State Park in Colorado and Trinidad Lake State Park, also in Colorado.

I'll host the event at whichever park/campground is most appropriate for the cachers that want to attend. I plan to take a 3-day weekend (drive there on Friday, have the event Saturday, return home Sunday), but I would like it to be close enough for those that don't have that much time. (If most cachers are from New Mexico and Colorado, Raton or Trinidad seem to be the most logical choices)

When would this be? I already have a two+ week trip planned to Seattle and Colorado in late July/early August. I doubt I could fit this in, but would if I could! Put it around Labor day or Memorial day and I might make it. Make it close to the OK panhandle, and on a Sunday, so I and others can drive Saturday and Monday.

Edited by carleenp

That is a possibility. I'm open on the dates, just selected June to give a rough idea of the timeframe. I wouldn't want it earlier than Memorial Day if it's near Raton or Trinidad because of the snow. Raton is about 2 hours from Santa Fe, but Black Mesa is more centrally located (based on where Upinyachit, Sparky, and I live).

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
Sugarite would be sweet. I'll even mention this idea at our C.A.C.H.E mtg that is next weekend....

Sugarite would work well for cachers coming from Denver and Albuquerque. We would probably have the largest turnout from both cities if it is held there. July 4th weekend would probably work better than Memorial Day at that location since the snow will be gone by then.

Feel free to mention the event at the CACHE event next week. I've posted the link to this thread on the NM_Geo site. I figure most people will be coming from these two areas, but I don't want to limit it to these states only.

Sparky, Sugarite would only be about another 2 hours drive wouldn't it? It sounds like a good option because its location seems pretty good for the most people.

Anyway, make it Memorial day weekend and within a days drive for me, and I'll likely be there where ever it is.

Edited by carleenp
I think I could get to Sugarite over Memorial day weekend.

Sugarite is only a few miles from I-25, Black Mesa is a couple of hours from it (but closer to Sparky, Chris&Cindy, and maybe even you, Carleen).

I'd like to place a permanent cache in the vicinity, so Sugarite would work best for me, being in New Mexico and all. I'd be able to get back to Black Mesa within a month if I needed to, but I could drive to Sugarite within a week or so.

It would either be just me and my dog or it would be three people and my dog.

Considering that you will likely get a decent amount of interest from Colorado people, and that campgrounds fill up on holiday weekends, maybe it would be a good idea to post the event page early and urge people to make campground reservations.

I did see that the park appears to have a group picnic area that can be reserved. It wasn't clear if they had a group camping area.

I found another possible location for the event. Clayton Lake State Park is smaller than Sugarite, but is an hour or so closer to the Oklahoma border.

Ok. So I'm late and it's already been decided.

But let me say two things about Clayton Lake in case anyone is ever in the area.:

1) Dinosaur trails. No not just footprints. Entire trails.

2) Cliff jumping off the edges of the quarry. It takes a couple seconds after you jump before you hit the water. It's amazing.

---------------

What the heck, the family needs a vacation. Sugarite would be a nice place to go. I think I can convince my beautiful wife that camping isn't the evil that she thinks it is. Besides, we can help carleenp haul stuff if we need to.

But let me say two things about Clayton Lake in case anyone is ever in the area.:

1) Dinosaur trails. No not just footprints. Entire trails.

2) Cliff jumping off the edges of the quarry. It takes a couple seconds after you jump before you hit the water. It's amazing.

Oooh...that sounds like fun! I suppose we could go there if Sugarite doesn't work out. That, or go to Clayton next year... :D

I am thinking...thinking...fly to Albuquerque, rent a car, drive out with Sax man and family...hmmmmm...just one question:

Who's bringing the Dunk Tank for me, and who's the wiseguy who put all that ice in the water? HEY! Only 2 pitches each now!

Phoenix to Albuquerque on Southwest sometimes goes on sale for $19 one way...I'll spend at least that much on the dunk tank rental... :D

Actually, there might still be some snow in the area, we'll just toss you in it! B)

I tried to check reservations online for sugarite and the system didn't want to pull up anything. It also appears that the tent camping area does not take reservations. Be sure to ask about reserving spots and see if they have group camping reservations. Ask about tent area limits. If tents can be packed in anywhere, all that is needed is for someone to go up Thursday and stake out an area before the holiday weekend crowd rolls in.

I did notice that Black Mesa has a group camping area if reservations at Sugarite become a problem.

I'm sure that will be a very busy camping weekend!

What the heck, the family needs a vacation. Sugarite would be a nice place to go. I think I can convince my beautiful wife that camping isn't the evil that she thinks it is. Besides, we can help carleenp haul stuff if we need to.

Good! Will you haul my drooling, barking dog for me? I think I can handle the rest. :lol:

Good! Will you haul my drooling, barking dog for me? I think I can handle the rest. :lol:

We'll be bringing our new puppy, Geody!