Getting Email Threats

I RECIEVED AN EMAIL FROM SOMEONE WHO THREATENED ME. HE THINKS I HAVE A TRAVEL BUG OF HIS. I GOT DROPPED IT OFF BEFORE CHRISTMAS. HERE IS PART OF HIS EMAIL:

Personally I can not do anything but I have found out more info on you and your location. Networking is a great thing so beware. Return the travel bug and the turtle before 1-23-2004 and nothing will happen

I HAVE CONTACTED THE POLICE AND NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO???

This is so sad. I can't believe I am reading it.

Edit: So I looked into it. The problem is that you retrieved the bug but never logged dropping it off. You need to log it into the cache that you left it in, so others who pick it up can continue logging. You may not physically have the bug in your possession but the records show that you do. The solution is simple. Where did you leave it? Log it today. But date it for the day you dropped it off. You have found 26 bugs already, this should be a no brainer for you. Sometimes people forget.

Second edit. Reading the bug's page I can see why they are so attached to it. I personally wouldn't have sent out something so sentimental and personal as a travel bug. But I can certainly see why they want it back. I think calling the police is a little extreme and shines a bad light on geocaching. You could have settled this all by logging the bug when and where you left it.

Edited by Planet

Run for your life.....

seriously...according to your profile you have 3 TB's from back in September. Did you forget to log them? If so you need to contact the owners.

Let TPTB know any threatening emails you received. I do not think that calling the police is going to help the situation any.... or at least not peacefully...

Not defend this guy for sending that threatning e-mail, but it looks like that TB was very special to him and in memory of his father in-law. But, on the flip side, if this "turtle" meant so much, I would not be using it as a TB. There are several of things thats could happen to a TB, acts of god, muggled, etc.

I have sent hydee an email about this topic. Please forward the email that you received to the contact at geocaching.com address. They need to have that email.

"They NEED to have that e-mail"? Why? The police seem to be dealing with it. Threats like that need to be taken to the higher authorities.

Just wondering what went wrong here? If you passed the TB on before christmas, did you not log it, or was there a problem somewhere else that kept it from showing as logged and passed on?

And a simple nice email from him could have solved it easily.

From the looks of it, they haven't been caching since September. So obviously the TB is shown in their posession for a long period of time. If they dropped it somewhere then they need to try and remember where. If people picked it up and see it's not being tracked ight or is still in this others possession, then they should of emailed them and let them know. I would say either the thread starter: 1)dropped it and didn't log it with a couple others that are shown in their possession and no one has visited the caches they dropped them or 2) still have them in their possession or lost them. To me it appears option #2 from the looks of it, but may not be. It's still no warrant for threatening emails.

I would say in the future if you have communication with another cacher due t such circumstances that you should let Jeremy and them deal with it first. Or at least give them a chance. I don't think calling the police was a good idea for the sanctity of the sport. Now there is more limelight placed on the sport that is negatvie and not needed. I don't want to think that this is the only conversation and that there is probably more than we are hearing. There is always more than one side....

Condemn and ban with only an accusation?

I agree with woodster, there must be more to it and we have only heard one side.

But I do think any threatening email from a cacher is uncalled for, I for one know I would have no problem emailing any cacher and asking if they still have it, and to please move it on.

Condemn and ban with only an accusation?

I agree with woodster, there must be more to it and we have only heard one side.

But I do think any threatening email from a cacher is uncalled for, I for one know I would have no problem emailing any cacher and asking if they still have it, and to please move it on.

That is why GC.com needs a copy of the email. They will determine what happened and take the proper actions. Any police investigation/prosecution is completely separate.

Edited by Stunod
Hey the owner of the TB rides a harley....you better hurry up and return it or start running....you know how them harley people can be! lol

How stereotypical can you get Woodster?!?!?! Sheesh!! People from all walks of life ride Harleys. Heck, I've been on Harleys, and I'm not what you say. Now, close your eyes and in a gutteral voice say to yourself over and over potato potato potato potato....... (sounds like a Harley :) )

Not defending the threatening email, but would still like the Wizards to explain as to why they would hold tbs from September. Of course there are 2 sides to every story. Is this the only email they recieved or is it an act of frustration on the part of the tb owner after several polite emails. :)

If this was the first email recieved about dropping off the TB, I have to agree with reporting it to the police. GC.com is not an authority. Yes I would still give them a copy of the email so they can find ways to limit this sport even more. But for your own protection, the police still need be involved. If however the person recieved emails regularly and they just deleted them or sent back emails saying I will do it when I choose to go away. I can see the person getting upset. but again there is no reason to threaten anyone.

Hey the owner of the TB rides a harley....you better hurry up and return it or start running....you know how them harley people can be! lol

How stereotypical can you get Woodster?!?!?! Sheesh!! People from all walks of life ride Harleys. Heck, I've been on Harleys, and I'm not what you say. Now, close your eyes and in a gutteral voice say to yourself over and over potato potato potato potato....... (sounds like a Harley :) )

LOL...I said it stereotypically...lol

My sister's husband who is an Air Traffic Controller has one and goes to a bunch of hte rallies...if you saw him you would not think he had a Harley...lol

My wife's father who is about 60 now and owns a large road construction company and is filthy rich, had a couple of them not too long ago, but bought a BMW one. He ended up selling the Harleys.

I mentioned it that way in my previous message because they said they contacted the police and I saw the person who owned the travelbug was the name harleyguy. I just envisioned someone thinking it was some savage harley riding, tattoo sporting, hells angel that was gonna come and get them...

How stereotypical can you get Woodster?!?!?!  Sheesh!!  People from all walks of life ride Harleys.  <snip>

LOL...I said it stereotypically...lol

<snip>

Geocaching.com circus court

is now in session again

Will the defendant Woodster rise....

You are guilty!

Don't think you get a say or a defense!

You will be purged!

Resistance if futile!

:)

Ok....let's disect this a little . Wizards posted

Personally I can not do anything but I have found out more info on you and your location. Networking is a great thing so beware. Return the travel bug and the turtle before 1-23-2004 and nothing will happen

Notice that there was no ending punctuation. That tells me they didn't post the whole thing. Secondly, the beginning says "I can not do anything". That does not sound physically threatening. Because they stated they have found more info on you and your location tells me that there has been a discussion going back and forth. Or at least the accused has been communicating to them. Networking is a great thing...well yes it is. Beware...hmmm not sure of what that meant, maybe that is the physically threatening part? Although they said previously they could do nothing. Return the ... and nothing will happen (hmm no punctuation. I think there was more. Nothing will happen as far as what? Perhaps as far as not telling others that the person is a TB thief? Telling Jeremy on them? What is the 'nothing will happen bit"? There's a lot more to this.

Ok....let's disect this a little . Wizards posted

Notice that there was no ending punctuation. That tells me they didn't post the whole thing. Secondly, the beginning says "I can not do anything". That does not sound physically threatening. Because they stated they have found more info on you and your location tells me that there has been a discussion going back and forth. Or at least the accused has been communicating to them. Networking is a great thing...well yes it is. Beware...hmmm not sure of what that meant, maybe that is the physically threatening part? Although they said previously they could do nothing. Return the ... and nothing will happen (hmm no punctuation. I think there was more. Nothing will happen as far as what? Perhaps as far as not telling others that the person is a TB thief? Telling Jeremy on them? What is the 'nothing will happen bit"? There's a lot more to this.

I sense this could be a good episode for CSI!! :)

I'd say that most "threats" are just that: threats. And nothing more. Just talk-and no action. Don't be paranoid. The man/woman who wrote that is probably just blowing off steam. However, if that item (s) in question were so important to him, why put in a place where the general public can take it? I bet that the WORST they'd do to you is deface/destroy/steal your caches. Just make sure that you never visit any of that person's geocaches again, and make sure that you report his threats to geocaching.com. I say that they should probably end his membership and archive his caches. Threatening others is NOT what geocaching is all about!!! :)

What would be even more funny is that since the TB # is visable that it took a quick and fast virtual journey. Not that I would advocate it..

And besides, when the first email was received and if they didn't have it, why not just drop it off in a cache online? It's obvious that you have 3 TB's in your inventory for 4 months now....isn't that a little long to hold on to them?

Technically, to be considered a threat, the person who received the email only has to show that they were "concerned about personal injury" by the remarks. It's an open categorization the way the courts see it, but it can and has been used as such.

good thing you changed your avatar, because I was "concerned about personal injury" by the view of it...

:)

I have sent hydee an email about this topic.  Please forward the email that you received to the contact at geocaching.com address.  They need to have that email.

"They NEED to have that e-mail"? Why? The police seem to be dealing with it. Threats like that need to be taken to the higher authorities.

Because the the GC.com site needs to know what is going on too don't you think?! After all, the emails at the bottom say that if the email is abuse then send a copy of it to the contact address. I'm sure they put that there for a reason.

Edited by mtn-man
Because the the GC.com site needs to know what is going on too don't you think?! After all, the emails at the bottom say that if the email is abuse then send a copy of it to the contact address. I'm sure they put that there for a reason.

They put it there as a means of handling their own terms of service/use. It is an opt-in system. Anyone who has received a threatening letter where they worry about their own safety can use whatever means they choose to protect themselves. They may choose to approach the company that enabled the abuse (GC.com) to see that this person can no longer be abusive by way of the e-mail system. They may decide that that would not only be futile (especially since they have been promised that "networking" has provided enough information about them to make e-mail unnecessary) but it would also add fuel to the TB owner's fire (they lost their special TB AND were kicked out of their account!!).

They have decided to turn to their legal options in this case. It sounds like a lot of chips on shoulders and not a lot of rational discussion. Some people choose sledgehammers to solve their fly problems.

Solution: If you still have the TB, go place it in a cache you've been to already and is close by....get it back in the "system". Then, log it appropriately online. If you don't have the TB, log it correctly so the owner knows where it is and that it is out of your hands. Finally, call the police and tell them that you have worked it out and there is no longer a problem.

A total of 3 scoobie from what I saw...

What I find interesting is that 2 of the TB's were found on 9/2 and the other one on 9/9. Yet if you look at their finds on caches, none match up to those times except some virtuals on 9/1? The other closest date that I saw was 9/20 of finding a cache. Actually 3. So they had chances to drop them if they didn't. Upon looking at the online log entries they make mention on one cache of leaving a TB. But not which TB it was. But the next finder mentions taking a TB by the name of "Fish Tale" which is on the wizards find list, but not one of the 3 they show as holding. Perhaps a good reason to mention dropping off a TB and it's name.

Edit: they did find some caches a few days before 9/2 , I believe 8/31 it was.

Edited by woodsters
A total of 3 scoobie from what I saw...

What I find interesting is that 2 of the TB's were found on 9/2 and the other one on 9/9. Yet if you look at their finds on caches, none match up to those times except some virtuals on 9/1? The other closest date that I saw was 9/20 of finding a cache. Actually 3. So they had chances to drop them if they didn't. Upon looking at the online log entries they make mention on one cache of leaving a TB. But not which TB it was. But the next finder mentions taking a TB by the name of "Fish Tale" which is on the wizards find list, but not one of the 3 they show as holding. Perhaps a good reason to mention dropping off a TB and it's name.

And it's even more interesting that Wizard hasn't explained WHY he hasn't logged or dropped of his TB's. It kinda looks like he is a TB collector :bad:

Edited by The Weasel

How exactly do you pick up 26 TBs and remain oblivious as to how to log them (pick them up/drop them off)? I think it's hard to plead ignorance of the process here, then again how do you not know that it's rude to type in all caps (and why would you, even if you didn't know).

I didn't check every one, but it looks like all but 3 of the 26 TBs picked up by WAUKESHA WIZARDS were logged correctly by them (picked up dropped off), so why the problem with the 3 they still have?

I definitely think there is something going on here, that WAUKESHA WIZARDS isn't saying.

Still, no excuse for a threatening email, if, in fact, it was threatening.