Fine Then

metaliklabs

armataz, a 'muggle' is someone who is not a geocacher. Either they are ignorant of the sport & think geocachers are weird, or they just aren't interested.

Term was swiped from the Harry Potter books/movies. Harry's aunt & uncle were called 'muggles' because they didn't like the whole witchcraft scene.

There should be a link to a 'frequently asked question' section through the "Link" button on the main geocaching.com web site.

Have fun!

:(  :(  :unsure:  :bad:  :( Geocaching is the best sport in the world!!!!!!

Hobby

From the main page:

Join Geocaching -

The sport where YOU are the search engineTM

A GPS device and a hunger for adventure are all you need for high tech treasure hunting. Here you can find the latest caches in your area, how to hide your own cache, and information on how to get started in this fun and exciting sport.

Geocaches can now be found in over 180 countries!

:(

Sorry, it's a RASH (Recreational Activity, Sport, Hobby).

And not necessarily the itchy kind.

It all depends on how smart you are about what you touch in the woods...

More enthusiastic people than me can get you the Markwell (link to another post from an earlier time in the forums) when the term RASH was created and applied to geocaching to settle the hobby/sport argument.

:(  :(  :unsure:  :bad:  :( Geocaching is the best sport in the world!!!!!!

On what basis have you determined this to be a fact? No finds. No caches found and No benchmarks found.

Who said it was a fact? Last time I checked, it was an opinion. Opinions require no foundation.

Also, simply because an account has no listed finds does not mean they have not been geocaching.

You really need to chill out on the new guys.

armataz, a 'muggle' is someone who is not a geocacher. Either they are ignorant of the sport & think geocachers are weird, or they just aren't interested.

Term was swiped from the Harry Potter books/movies. Harry's aunt & uncle were called 'muggles' because they didn't like the whole witchcraft scene.

There should be a link to a 'frequently asked question' section through the "Link" button on the main geocaching.com web site.

Have fun!

i heard that term used in that fashion long before harry potter. i agree though its use is alot more prevalant now.

I'd say it is a sport...A thinking person's sport. It exercises the mind and body, which is the best of all possible worlds. Some caches require some conditioning for long strenuous hikes to the site. I would say that makes it more of a sport than say, NASCAR, which is basically a redneck sitting behind the wheel of a car, doing the old hamster on a wheel thing (going like hell and getting nowhere). NASCAR is basically a hand-eye coordination skill game. Not wanting to hijack the thread into a discourse on auto racing. Actually hate the stuff, just wanted to say that geocaching is more a sport than other things that are considered sports.

more of a sport than say, NASCAR, which is basically a redneck sitting behind the wheel of a car, doing the old hamster on a wheel thing (going like hell and getting nowhere). NASCAR is basically a hand-eye coordination skill game.

Shouldn't reply, cause it's getting way off topic, but...

Try driving a car at 160 + mph for 500 miles, then tell me how you are physically?

:unsure:

more of a sport than say, NASCAR, which is basically a redneck sitting behind the wheel of a car, doing the old hamster on a wheel thing (going like hell and getting nowhere). NASCAR is basically a hand-eye coordination skill game.

Shouldn't reply, cause it's getting way off topic, but...

Try driving a car at 160 + mph for 500 miles, then tell me how you are physically?

:lol:

There are a lot of things that can induce physical exhaustion. That doesn't make them all sports.

There are a lot of things that can induce physical exhaustion. That doesn't make them all sports.

Regarding NASCAR not being a sport, but a redneck doing the hamster thing, first let me say that I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but I just wanted to reply to the post about the "sport" of stock car racing. After all, in another thread, someone said to be a "sport" there had to be competition, you could bet on it, and it seems someone said something about drinking beer while watching.

Based on that, NASCAR meets the qualifications. Also, most of those guys are in pretty good shape. They learned they can't be fat drunks and drive like that.

(My last post on this subject by the way).

:lol: