Who's Watching Me?

_canadianbacon_

No one is watching "you" as your title implies.

They are just watching caches they've done or are planning to do, for the most part.

I used to watch all the caches I did, just to see how others did, or what they thought of my trade items.

But that became too many, so now I only watch difficult caches, or ones I left a nice trade item in.

There may be other reasons to watch caches, but the above applies to me.

I don't even look to see how many watch my caches, and couldn't care less.

But, that is just me.

It would be kinda fun, at least as the cache owner, to see who has my cache on there watchlist, not just '3 people watching this cache' .

Especially when you first place a cache, and there is that mad race to get the FTF.

Not a world changing modification, or neccesary, but just fun.

It's a bad idea (and one Jeremy as stated he won't implement), for several reasons. Do a search an you'll find many, many threads on this topic.

:blink: i would like to know too -- sometimes i think would be handy info and if in another place at least you could contact one of the watchers that would be close to the cache so maybe they could go look at it and fix it if necessary too -- thats my 2 cents--!

archuka--cheyenne, wyo

happy geocaching

:blink: i would like to know too -- sometimes i think would be handy info and if in another place at least you could contact one of the watchers that would be close to the cache so maybe they could go look at it and fix it if necessary too -- thats my 2 cents--!

archuka--cheyenne, wyo

happy geocaching

well, if you only place caches that YOU can maintain yourself, you wouldn't need to contact some else to do your work for you.

well, if you only place caches that YOU can maintain yourself, you wouldn't need to contact some else to do your work for you.

Well grasshopper many of us placed caches all over the country before the no vacation cache rule came into effect. But even back then we'd quite often find someone local to maintain the cache for us.

Back to topic while I'd love to know why I can't see who's stalking my caches I'm too lazy to do a search so I'll just move on to the next topic. :blink:

;) i would like to know too -- sometimes i think would be handy info and if in another place at least you could contact one of the watchers that would be close to the cache so maybe they could go look at it and fix it if necessary too -- thats my 2 cents--!

Instead of a watcher, wouldn't it be better to contact someone who's logged it as a find?

I frequently watch caches where I have had to post a DNF. Depending on whether the next cachers find or also DNF it will affect my schedule for attempting another try. Also, I would be interested should the owner post a note or change the status on the cache. Again, this would be information of use in deciding how soon I want to go back. I cannot think of any real use coming out of the owner knowing that I am one of those interested in "the latest" news on the cache. My name is already on the DNF(s) if he/she wants to contact me. However, if I were an owner and saw some DNFs and a bunch of people 'watching', it would speed up my plans for a maintenance check, but I would hope that it wasn't just because 'certain' people were on the list of watchers.

my $0.02

This may be a useful feature now, but I'm not sure if it will be in the future. Per Jeremy's recent comments, we will be able to use watch lists to modify our PQs. For instance, if there were a bunch of caches that you did not intend to hunt, you could put these on your list and then set your PQ to ignore these caches.

When this goes into effect, being able to see if your caches were watched would not be useful because you would not know if they were watching it because they wanted to find it, had already found it, or didn't want to find it.

Since its all going to change, I don't see any need in having this feature.

I have a travel bug with one watching it at present and a traditional cache ( ammo can ) with two watching it. I have been curious more than anything as to the interest each watcher has in the particular item. The TB is not as thought provoking as the ammo can which has been out near a month now with no finds but it is at a fairly remote location.

So I to would like to know but if I can't it is not the end of the world.

I too would like to know who the watchers are, but ain't gonna get all heated up about it. Here's my .02

Let's say a cache is placed in a prohibited area.

Let's say the area's authorities find out about it by visiting the GC.com website.

Let's say the cache is archived.

Let's say the area's authorities keep watch to make sure it's not still being logged or reactivated.

Oh! Hi, Big Brother? How ya doing? Huh, don't hit enter? What . . . . .

How about a new benefit for premium members? No, not who's watching my cache, but who has looked at the cache page. With a members only cache you get to see an audit of everyone who has looked at that cache and when. We think this would make a nice benifit for the paying members. That is, for the member to be able to see who has looked at any of their caches pages.

John & Shirley

How about a new benefit for premium members? No, not who's watching my cache, but who has looked at the cache page. With a members only cache you get to see an audit of everyone who has looked at that cache and when. We think this would make a nice benifit for the paying members. That is, for the member to be able to see who has looked at any of their caches pages.

John & Shirley

You already have that ability, if you make your cache Members Only.

John & Shirley

unfortunatly it deosnt tell you who got your cache in a gpx file and used that part of the file :D

John & Shirley

That's what I said in my first reply.

I was suggesting that it be available for all my caches not just the Member Only caches.

John

John & Shirley

That's what I said in my first reply.

I was suggesting that it be available for all my caches not just the Member Only caches.

John

Seems like a great idea to me. And it'd be nice to have another feature making it worthwhile to become a member.

--RuffRidr

;) hhhmmm well i have checked on others caches for them and just thought it would be in the kind interest of GEOCACHING that someone would ask to check on a cache for me them us what ever--!!!!--to me its the spirit of the hunting and the spirit of keeping a cache alive and available to find--!!---EXCUSE ME--!!!

:(

and i would hope i can ask someone to check on mine if necessary -- what if the placer gets layed up for some reason ( like haveing knee surgery?? )-- would be nice to have another fellow cacher look after things--!!!

how else can i explain it that its in the spirit of geocaching that others help others -- !! or am i on the wrong soap box here--???

;)

GGGGGGesh--!!

Is IV_WARRIOR a me only person?? ;)

archuka--Cheyenne, Wy

Edited by archuka

John

Seems like a great idea to me. And it'd be nice to have another feature making it worthwhile to become a member.

Problem is, I don't want to make all my caches member-only. If everybody did that, how would a newbie discover that they like geocaching? I love when one of my caches is the one that starts someone's caching addiction. If it's members-only, that's unlikely to happen.

John

Problem is, I don't want to make all my caches member-only. If everybody did that, how would a newbie discover that they like geocaching? I love when one of my caches is the one that starts someone's caching addiction. If it's members-only, that's unlikely to happen.

Please REREAD my reply! It says ALL my caches not JUST MOC.

John