Strange Marker? Or Possibly Something Else?

woody33

I found several diffrent colors of fabric folded or rolled up, and tied together on a string hanging in a tree where there were no evidence of many people ever being while i was hiding my multi cache yesterday. The string had one color and down from it not touching each other was another, I cant understand why it was there. does anyknow anything about this type of marking. The object in the tree was well off the beaten path. There was very little trash on the whole trail, all removed now. :blink:

I found something similar, only it was just a single piece of cloth, brightly colored, on my farm once. I found out later it was part of a boyscout type group's (not the actual BSA) hiking and exploring practice. Funny, after I researched it, I found that in their guidelines for the practice, they were to learn "...finding passage around private property without trespassing." My property has several "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" signs all over it...and two of the markers I found were within 20 feet of a sign!

When I'm out, sometimes I use flouresent pink or red tape to tie around trees so I don't get lost. I take the tape down on the way back. Who's knows, I'm sure there were people there at one time or another. I'd have to see a picture of the tape, I know the Indians didn't do, but could have been the DNR or somebody working out there.

I'll third the Tibetan Prayer Flags. Did it appear to have any writing that you couldn't read? Were they connected together by the top corners? Were they a litttle ragged on the edges? Were they solid primary colors, red, yellow, blue, green? If not, then a picture would help. Was it a big ball of cloth? I'm wondering if a bird didn't take off with someone's string of flags for its nest. That might explain how it got there :P

It could be paint-ballers - they sometimes use a "capture the flag" type of scenario in our local parks, etc.

Recently while CITOing a local nature preserve I had hordes of paint-ballers around me, who, by the way, were very polite and concientious about not shooting at me. :rolleyes:

Could it be the "tail" of a long lost kite?

When we were kids, we'd see strange things such as: a six-pack of beer tied to a telephone pole - way up high (I'm assuming it was empty, but it was still in "six-pack" formation). My mom said it was signal or sign much like the "hobo signs" you see in urban environments.

Edited by Zoptrop
When we were kids, we'd see strange things such as: a six-pack of beer tied to a telephone pole - way up high ... My mom said it was signal or sign

:ph34r::o:o

Had to look up some of your cache finds to see what area you were from.

:o

Thought you might have been from my area!

:D

Your mom was right!!

Back when I was in high school ('79-'83), we had a party area back in the woods where we'd have our beer bashes.

If you've ever seen the movie "Dazed & Confused" - That was a pretty accurate representation of one our blowouts!!

The road "in" was an old dirt & gravel road that was just around a sharp curve hidden by some bushes when coming from town.

When ever we would go out & party, that would be our signal to let everyone know a party was going on.

An "empty" six pack was placed on a power pole on the main highway to let everyone know it was going down.

Then another was placed on another pole just before the hidden road to warn people where to turn.

:rolleyes: There were a few pre-partying types that missed the curve!! :ph34r:

Luckily it was the driveway to a farm and had a nice soft area for landing if you tried for a last minute swerve in!! :(

D-man :P