Mappoint Vs Streets & Trips

I've never used S&T, so I can't say for sure. I think MapPoint has additional features like demographic data handling, so you can do things like map by zip code or census tract. Like this, which is a map of traditional caches by zip code -- the greener, the more caches there are. Gray indicates no caches.

It's not a feature I've found particularly useful, but I don't know what S&T doesn't do.

c43255ff-2ef4-4569-84eb-594b99efae13.jpg

I've never used S&T, so I can't say for sure.  I think MapPoint has additional features like demographic data handling, so you can do things like map by zip code or census tract.  Like this, which is a map of traditional caches by zip code -- the greener, the more caches there are.  Gray indicates no caches.

It's not a feature I've found particularly useful, but I don't know what S&T doesn't do.

(image edited out)

The original target for MapPoint was for folks whom had a need for data by territory, ie sales agents, census collectors, etc. Roll the need into finding an address and how to get there for that door-to-door sales pitch and you have a fairly powerful program.

I like Travisl's use of it for cache density.

I have it only because of the field I was in and got it for free when I went to one of MS's seminars. Testing their SW on their campus also nets good free software. Almost any SW they offer is up for grabs this way.

Edited by TotemLake

I import waypoints the same way in both MapPoint and S & T:

1. First, I open the waypoint file (from a Pocket Query or other download) in ExpertGPS,

2. Then, export the waypoints from ExpertGPS into a csv format file,

3. Use the Data import wizard in the Data menu of MapPoint or S & T.

After importing, you can check the Balloon check-box in the Data Set Properties to get the URL to hyperlink you to the Geocaching web page.

I import waypoints the same way in both MapPoint and S & T:

1. First, I open the waypoint file (from a Pocket Query or other download) in ExpertGPS,

2. Then, export the waypoints from ExpertGPS into a csv format file,

3. Use the Data import wizard in the Data menu of MapPoint or S & T.

After importing, you can check the Balloon check-box in the Data Set Properties to get the URL to hyperlink you to the Geocaching web page.

My process is similar except that I use GPSbabel to convert the GPX files rather than ExpertGPS.

What I would like to see is some what to convert Mappoint files to S&T and/or Visa-Versa.

There are a number of people in my area using both programs for various things. However we cannot share files that we make because of this forced incompatability that Microsoft built in.