Gpsmap 60c Vs. 60cs

sk8rdi20

Ok, I know the differences. I am looking for useablity I guess. I am very new to the geocaching seen, as this will be my first GPSr. I have used my Dad's magellan GPS Pioneer. I really do NOT like it.

So my questions are:

Does the barometric altimeter just give you altitude, or will it give you the pressure also?

Any kind of nice barometric pressure graphs of time?

Will it output to NMEA for computer software?

Are the compasses worth it? Or should I just invest in a decent normal compass?

I guess I am actually asking people with vista's or other gpsr with the sensors.

I ask so many questions b/c my Dad and I will be going in halfs to buy the 60, and we will also be using it on the water for sailing.

Thanks for any input!!!

The compass is one of those things that people who have them like them and people who don't really don't care one way or the other because in the space of 3 paces your GPS tells you which way is north anyway.

The altimeter is for elevation and not pressure though I'm not sure if you can force the use you mention.

It should output to NEMA, this was discussed in another thread and should be something you can confirm on the Garmin spec page for the GPS.

As was said, the 76S has features specific to boating that the 60C doesn't. If you are not into those features (like tide charts) then the 60C is probably the better unit. If you do need them, nice as the 60C is, it's not the one.

As was said, the 76S has features specific to boating that the 60C doesn't. If you are not into those features (like tide charts) then the 60C is probably the better unit. If you do need them, nice as the 60C is, it's not the one.

Actually, all of the marine features of the 76s are in the 60c....including full Bluechart compatibility, NMEA sonar input for depth and temperature readings, anchor drag alarm, off course alarm, deep/shallow water alarm, and a marine map setup. Tide prediction charts are not on the basemap so Garmin doesn't list it as a feature, but they do work with the appropriate detailed maps loaded.

...Actually, all of the marine features of the 76s are in the 60c....including full Bluechart compatibility, NMEA sonar input for depth and temperature readings, anchor drag alarm, off course alarm, deep/shallow water alarm, and a marine map setup. Tide prediction charts are not on the basemap so Garmin doesn't list it as a feature, but they do work with the appropriate detailed maps loaded.

I thought the 76S had tide charts? The 60C/CS doesn't.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The CS is going to have a vertical trip computer as well as a horizontal trip computer. Just like the 76S.

The C won't have that. Also the CS will be able to display the data from the Vertial computer into data boxs on the different pages.

I'm sure they're are other things related to that. On the 76S you have a choice of profiles of pressure,altitude over time,distance,etc. The C won't have that.