Geotrash

planetrobert

i am on a geotrash rant today so just live with it... sorry

Assume that a cache is perfectly ok or last reported ok...

if a cache hider is inactive and a cache is unavailable... what do you do?

if a cache hider is active but doesnt respond via email and a cache is unavailable... what do you do?

if the cache is trashed and you say it needs archiving what do you do?

do you remove what is left, if anything of the cache and try to contact owner?

do you leave it and hope the owner picks it up?

if all else fails

do you mail groundspeaks contact address and see what they say?

do you just plunder the trash as a COTO(cache out trash out)

what do you do??? :blink::):)

Assume that a cache is perfectly ok or last reported ok...

if a cache hider is inactive and a cache is unavailable... what do you do?

Email them and wait, post on the cache page and wait, email them and wait. After a month or more either try to adopt the cache or get it archived and remove whatevers still out there.

if a cache hider is active but doesnt respond via email and a cache is unavailable... what do you do?

Depends what you mean by unavailable, but likely email them, post on the page, and of course wait.

if the cache is trashed and you say it needs archiving what do you do?

do you remove what is left, if anything of the cache and try to contact owner?

Depends how/where/who.

do you leave it and hope the owner picks it up?

If they don't I may go and check :blink:

if all else fails

do you mail groundspeaks contact address and see what they say?

You could, but its a lot quicker to shot a message off to a nearby approver and get them working on it. They can help you adopt it, or archive the page so it can be removed.

do you just plunder the trash as a COTO(cache out trash out)

If its geotrash anyways why are you asking?? :) I would try saving a log book if there was one, other things no idea, depends.

what do you do???

What seems like the right thing to do (at least at the time).

Pardon, me, but assuming as you wrote, that the cache was perfectly OK, then what is the issue?

but if it is listed as unavailable and the hider is MIA? then what? :blink:

As I mentioned to you in my reply to your email sometimes a cache is just waiting for conditions to change. The example I gave you was that there was some selective logging going on by a cache I've made unavailable. It's still there I just don't want people hunting for it until they're done with the area.

Of course I'm not MIA

my main concern i guess is the caches that have no cache hider anymore and are left in a state of limbo.

i understand the reason for unavailbling a cache but it is when a cacher is either totaly inactive or has posted a note say 6months ago saying that they will do somthing about the cache in a month and still no change

i see this as being sorta along the same lines as deadbeat travel bug people. deadbeat hiders.

I feel badly for strays, I'd want to adopt it if: it wasn't too far from my normal travelling paths, the owner was agreeable, it was a good cache to begin with, and no one closer wants it. I've adopted two caches thus far. You have to take them on a case by case basis, which makes it hard to succinctly answer the question. Your idea of the forum to discuss these things was a good one, it's already been thought of. We have the cache adoption threads at the top of the area forums I've looked at, Northeast and New England. Check the top of the forums for your area. It is probably moderated by your local approver.

(edit typo)

Edited by Planet
i see this as being sorta along the same lines as deadbeat travel bug people. deadbeat hiders.

I understand your concerns. But around here a group of us take care of those types of caches ourselves. But there are so few of the unavailable caches who's owners are MIA it just shouldn't matter much.

Ditto... that's how we do it around here.