Gpx Error

DustyJacket

For Jeremy,

I was going to a cache today, when I noticed that the page was not on my Palm Pilot, even though the link was.

Waypoint: GCGEF3

To make a long story short, this cache page has a BODY tag in the description, which did not receive a closing ">" or > in the GPX file.

Several lines from the cache page (view source):

<P><span id="ShortDescription"><font color="gold">>This cache is for the trade of the State Quarters.</font><br></span></P>

<P>

<BLOCKQUOTE><span id="LongDescription"><BODY BACKGROUND="http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/79458_200.jpg"><br>

From the GPS file:

<Groundspeak:short_description html="True"><font color=gold>>This cache is for the trade of the State Quarters.</font><br></Groundspeak:short_description>

<Groundspeak:long_description html="True"><BODY BACKGROUND="http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/79458_200.jpg"</font><br>

Was this caused by the >> in the font tag: <font color="gold">>

Is there any way to either make the GPX emitter deal with bad HTML or flag the cache owner when they enter bad HTML in the cache page?

(Luckily, we went to a nearby cache, dug through 10 inches of snow and found that cache instead.)

-----------------------------------

gpx2html created the mini-HTML page, but Plucker hated it and didn't send it to my Palm Pilot. This is not the first time bad HTML didn't make it to my Palm device.

Well, even if the bad HTML had made it to your palm, it wouldn't have to render it. After all, it's illegal markup, so it's free to do whatever it want to do with it. This example underscores the point I made yesterday about invalid markup and the need for conformance; since the core pages won't validate, it's hard to lean on people to try to validate their pages since they're doomed for failure anyway.

When plucker complains about a page, the page is likely to be broken. GPX2Html (like much of my own code) tries to clean up some of the more common broken (sigh) pages, but can't recover from everything. So sometimes it passes the problem downstream.

Oh, and you can't have a body in the middle of a page. (But lots of folks do and most of the browsers do what you expect it do so when all you're poviding is the background anyway.)

Oh, and "gold" isn't a legal color.

Just ask Freight Pilot or an area admin to fix the page.

Here is a funny thing:

gpx2html passed along the bad HTML and Plucker hated it, and the page didn;t load.

I downloaded Spinner and tried it. It also made a page, but it was somehow a tad different and Plucker DID like it.

Aaaargh...

Webscouter, I didn't notice it until we were on the way out the door this morning.

I've found that illegal color names tnd to kill a Plucker or gpx2html page quickly.

I'll have to look into cachemate, now that my paperless "system" is unreliable.

Robertlipe - I don't notice the broken pages until I am out in the field.

I think it would be really nice if Jeremy added an HTML "checker" for when you submit a cache page, but afer the javascript elimination, any sort of HTML "policing" will tick off a bunch of folks.

Edited by DustyJacket