How Do You Become A Approver?

Ficky

The approvers are volunteers who have a lot of knowledge about caching and any special regulations in their areas. I think many are also quite involved with local organizations. I believe that some were asked to volunteer and that others offered their services and were chosen because they had the knowledge and experience that was needed.

The approvers are volunteers who have a lot of knowledge about caching and any special regulations in their areas. I think many are also quite involved with local organizations.

Your best first step is to get involved in your local organization. They do need enthusiastic people and are always looking for people to lend a hand. That will help you to learn the local regulations and you can work to help cachers in your local areas.

The approvers are volunteers who have a lot of knowledge about caching and any special regulations in their areas. I think many are also quite involved with local organizations.

Your best first step is to get involved in your local organization. They do need enthusiastic people and are always looking for people to lend a hand. That will help you to learn the local regulations and you can work to help cachers in your local areas.

Is there actually a turnover or demand for cache approvers or is the roster pretty much set?

Here are some interesting statistics: As a group, the 38 currently active volunteer reviewers have found more than 20,000 geocaches and have hidden more than 1,200, for an average of more than 500 finds and 30 hides each. So for starters, a potential volunteer would need to show very active involvement in the game, in one form or another.

Ficky, I too am curious why you are asking. California is blessed with two volunteers who cover the Northern and Southern parts of the state, and also back each other up. Hemlock is your local reviewer. If you are looking for assistance with any local matter, such as your cache that recently was unarchived after it went missing in September, you should send Hemlock an e-mail. I do know that Hemlock is very busy at the moment, so if you wrote previously and haven't heard a response after a reasonable period of time (3 or 4 days) then write to CO Admin who is always willing to back up the other volunteers.

Any body know how to becoma an approver of caches in an area? i need a little help

You might want a little more experience regardless before you jump in.

List of items found 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Count

Multi-caches* 1

Traditional Caches* 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Total Caches Found 9

List of items owned 

Name Count

Traditional Caches* 2

*Total Caches Hidden 2

We are researching an online gaming version of Geocaching. My assignment is to experiment with online games that simulate a cache with a terrain rating of 1. Other members of the Groundspeak team have been asked to try out Rainbow 6, to simulate more extreme geocaching experiences. They don't much like it, but it is all for the good of the website and the community.

Now this is what makes being an approver a sweet position to have. You get to play MiniPutt all day.

I'm curious about how the approvers are distributed. 38 for the entire world? Do some cover half a state while others cover entire subcontinents?

Reviewers cover territory based on the volume of caches hidden. It would make no sense for North Dakota or Bolivia to have dedicated cache reviewers, because not very many caches are hidden there each week. When geocaching activity in a particular area gets busy enough, whoever is covering approvals will holler for help and, as a long term solution, a new volunteer will be brought on board. As for distribution of the volunteers worldwide, there are two for the U.K., two for the Nordic Countries, two for Canada, two for Australia, one for New Zealand and one for The Netherlands. Uberapprover Erik covers the rest of the world outside the U.S., such as Asia, Africa, South America, etc. The United States is split up into territories among more than 25 volunteers in an ever-changing mosaic of assignments. Some of us cover multiple states, while in busy states like California there are two volunteers.

Here are some interesting statistics: As a group, the 38 currently active volunteer reviewers have found more than 20,000 geocaches and have hidden more than 1,200, for an average of more than 500 finds and 30 hides each. So for starters, a potential volunteer would need to show very active involvement in the game, in one form or another.

Ficky, I too am curious why you are asking. California is blessed with two volunteers who cover the Northern and Southern parts of the state, and also back each other up. Hemlock is your local reviewer. If you are looking for assistance with any local matter, such as your cache that recently was unarchived after it went missing in September, you should send Hemlock an e-mail. I do know that Hemlock is very busy at the moment, so if you wrote previously and haven't heard a response after a reasonable period of time (3 or 4 days) then write to CO Admin who is always willing to back up the other volunteers.

Ahhhh......but you missed the most important statistic: how many posts in total and average per reviewer? :D

Since only about 8 approvers are active (more than 2 posts a week) on the boards the numbers would be rather low when averaged against all the approvers.

So you're saying you and Keystone are the moderator versions of me and Sparky? B)

No, Keystone and I are much cuter.

:D

My ears were burning, and I knew it wasn't from the blow dryer!

Question.

who approves a prospective approver?

Just a thought!

A good question, even if you were just making a play on words.

First the need is identified. "Hey! There are so many new caches popping up in Peru that I can't deal with the volume. People are complaining about the delays in getting their caches listed."

If the problem cannot be addressed among the existing group of volunteers, then Hydee will coordinate the selection process for a new reviewer. She asks for ideas from the other reviewers about candidates. We discuss the merits of each candidate: their record of hides and finds, their helpfulness in the forums, involvement in any regional geocaching association or in dealings with land managers, etc. Eventually we reach a consensus. The new candidate is then invited to join the frog clan, after one last step.

The final test is too terrifying and too secret to disclose here. I am still traumatized and it's nine months later.

Question.

who approves a prospective approver?

Just a thought!

A good question, even if you were just making a play on words.

First the need is identified. "Hey! There are so many new caches popping up in Peru that I can't deal with the volume. People are complaining about the delays in getting their caches listed."

If the problem cannot be addressed among the existing group of volunteers, then Hydee will coordinate the selection process for a new reviewer. She asks for ideas from the other reviewers about candidates. We discuss the merits of each candidate: their record of hides and finds, their helpfulness in the forums, involvement in any regional geocaching association or in dealings with land managers, etc. Eventually we reach a consensus. The new candidate is then invited to join the frog clan, after one last step.

The final test is too terrifying and too secret to disclose here. I am still traumatized and it's nine months later.

Paypal worked for me! :DB)