Gpsmap 60c Tide Predictions

ARTE

While fooling around with my 60C looking up points of interest I scrolled down the "FIND" menu to "MARINE POINTS", selected it and then chose "TIDE STATION".

Much to my surprise a list of tide stations appeared and, when selected, I got a graph showing tidal activity for the station. Wasn't this supposed to be one of the big advantages of the 76 series?

I currently have US Topo maps and some North America Metroguide (v5) maps loaded, but I don't think the tidetables came from them. Did I just miss that this information was there all along?

EDIT: Never mind - when I choose areas outside of the map areas I have loaded I do not get any tide info for those areas - the unit just shows me tide stations for the nearest map section. Nice to have though as long as the maps are in.

Edited by ARTE
While fooling around with my 60C looking up points of interest I scrolled down the "FIND" menu to "MARINE POINTS", selected it and then chose "TIDE STATION".

Much to my surprise a list of tide stations appeared and, when selected, I got a graph showing tidal activity for the station. Wasn't this supposed to be one of the big advantages of the 76 series?

I currently have US Topo maps and some North America Metroguide (v5) maps loaded, but I don't think the tidetables came from them. Did I just miss that this information was there all along?

EDIT: Never mind - when I choose areas outside of the map areas I have loaded I do not get any tide info for those areas - the unit just shows me tide stations for the nearest map section. Nice to have though as long as the maps are in.

I am curious to find out how you are able to get this feature to work. I also have a new 60C and have several maps loaded on from Mapsource but I do not have any tide info via the "find" or "Marine" points of interest. In fact, I do not even have Marine points of interest.

I did download a tide program (from Garmin) which displays the stations on my mapsource map but I can't get it to transfer the info to my 60c.

After a bit of further experimenting, it looks to me like the tide information (as well as nearby wrecks!) is coming from the TOPO maps. I went to the 60C map setup and turned off the Metroguide "block" for the area I was interested in, went back to marine/tides etc. and the stations were still there.

I will add that the presentation of the tide graphic is very nice and the unit includes the ability to show high and low tide in a table as well. The graph can be maniulated by moving a set of crosshairs to show the tide level as of any point in time over the 24 hour period shown. Dates other than the current day can also be selected.

For those familiar with Tide Tool it works very much the same way. All in all, good stuff!

After a bit of further experimenting, it looks to me like the tide information (as well as nearby wrecks!) is coming from the TOPO maps. I went to the 60C map setup and turned off the Metroguide "block" for the area I was interested in, went back to marine/tides etc. and the stations were still there.

I will add that the presentation of the tide graphic is very nice and the unit includes the ability to show high and low tide in a table as well. The graph can be maniulated by moving a set of crosshairs to show the tide level as of any point in time over the 24 hour period shown. Dates other than the current day can also be selected.

For those familiar with Tide Tool it works very much the same way. All in all, good stuff!

I don't think that it is Topo that has that database of info. I have Metro but not Topo and I have the tide points. Works just like my map76 for the tidal data.

I have Mapsource open right now and have the Tide Points map open and it lists the tide stations. From here I can import my wapoints, tracks, routes... from my GPS (USB) and have them all displayed along with the tide stations.

But I can't transfer the data back to the GPS and have the tide stations show up on my 60C.

I can also open my N. American City Select Map but I can't get the tide stations to show up on it. I can see the goal line in sight but I just can't get to it. My goal is to transfer the tide stations to my 60C.

I have no problem transfering waypoints from my pc to my 60C.

Sorry to confuse anyone- first time transfering maps... to and from my GPS.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think that it is Topo that has that database of info.  I have Metro but not Topo and I have the tide points.  Works just like my map76 for the tidal data.

You are probably right. I am still learning the 60C and may very well have turned off a different map than I thought. I'm just thrilled to have the information available on this unit, wherever it comes from. <_<

I have Mapsource open right now and have the Tide Points map open and it lists the tide stations. From here I can import my wapoints, tracks, routes... from my GPS (USB) and have them all displayed along with the tide stations.

But I can't transfer the data back to the GPS and have the tide stations show up on my 60C.

I can also open my N. American City Select Map but I can't get the tide stations to show up on it. I can see the goal line in sight but I just can't get to it. My goal is to transfer the tide stations to my 60C.

I have no problem transfering waypoints from my pc to my 60C.

Sorry to confuse anyone- first time transfering maps... to and from my GPS.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

I have metroguide and with it you can select portions of regions to the 60c. Example is that I loaded the areas from Cape Cod(MA) up to Portsmouth(NH) and that brings over the Points of Interest that are available from your map program. You need to use the map select tool on your particular Mapsource program and then upload it to the GPS.

NeaSeakayaker- Thank you so much! I can't believe I overlooked that. Did what you suggested it it works fine. I now have tides on my 60C. I am sooooooooo stoked!

fwiw- I more or less loaded the same maps as you- keep my boat in Newburyport, MA.

Thanks again!

Glad it worked for you. I also have Bluechart V5.5 and I can't wait to load that onto my gps for certain boat trips. I am on the south shore...but often launch out of Lanes Cove up on Cape Ann. Perhaps see you out on the water or at some hydrocache! Cheers

I just had City Select 5 loaded on mine, and when I looked for Marine Points in the FIND menu, it did not exist.

So I uploaded some Topo maps - I got the Marine Points menu item, but under that item all I get is Wrecks and Obstructions.

So I uploaded more Topo maps, including coastal segments - still all I get are Wrecks and Obstructions.

So I just loaded MetroGuide 5 maps and the Marine Points menu item disappeared!

So it looks like a function of Topo. But why can I not see Tide Station in my Marine Points? I just checked the version numbers of my Topo maps. Seems that I have version 2.01 for my East and West, and 3.01 for Alaska and Hawaii...

So, I just loaded some Alaska Topo maps... and same deal - no Tide Station! <_<

Rubberhead- YES. Go to the garmin link I provided above and download the software (the larger file). Then run it, select which region you want to load to your hand held and do the transfer like you would with any other map.

The software contains all the same tide stations as tide tool and it will either display as a chart or graph.

It took me a few tries to get it to work but only because I had no idea what I was doing.

You must have Mapsource loaded on your PC and it will display the tide stations on a basic map.

Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

fyi- my handheld now has the Marine Points of Interest which it did not come with out of the box.

JumpinJoe,

Thanks so much. I have Garmin's POI, Bluechart, Fishing Hotspots CDs. Bluecharts, and POI come with tide stations that work with my GPSmap 162. I don't have a 60 yet, but I have a 60CS on order. I was actually considering canceling the order and getting the 76CS simply because I wanted tidal predictions. You've saved me from getting a unit (the 76) that is bigger than I really wanted to get. Thanks - Rubberhead.

Just wanted to shed some light on this tide prediction topic..

Here is a list of my current MapSource setup with data versions of each installed MapSource product. To see the data versions I'm mentioning here, within MapSource (I'm running MapSource software version 5.4), click on Help/About MapSource then click the "Product Info" button.

City Select data version:2.0 tides:no

MetroGuide USA data version:3.0 tides:yes

MetroGuide USA v5 data version:5.0 tides:no

North American City Select v4.01 data version:2.01 tides:no

US Road & Rec data version:2.01 tides:no

US Topo data version:2.00 tides:no

As you can see, the tide prediction info is only available on MetroGuide USA data version 3.0. It -may- be available on the first release of MetroGuide USA but I no longer have it on my system so I can't comment on that version (as well as Waterways & Lights).

I have City Select v5 ordered and on it's way but I would also assume that the tide prediction info is also not available on that product.

One way to tell if your MapSource product has the tide prediction info, if you can see the tide stations from within your MapSource product (zoom in to at least 0.2 mi), they will be available on the 60C(S) when the maps are loaded.

Edited by SergZak

No problem Rubberhead. Thanks to all those who helped me out <_<

I like the 60c a lot. I needed something I could use on the trails, on the boat and in the car. I made a car mount with a couple of item I had lying around the house (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52418&highlight=gps)

and it works great! I really like using it in the car because of the auto-route and re-route functions. I can't wait to get it out onto the boat if spring ever arrives here in NH.

I have a GPSIII and there is no comparison between the two units. The color TFT screen on the 60C is great and the processor speed is fantastic!

Serzak- the tides are not available on N. American City Select V.5 but as I mentioned above, Garmin will allow you to download the tide software for free on their site as long as you own a mapsource product.

Edited by JumpinJoe
Serzak- the tides are not available on N. American City Select V.5 but as I mentioned above, Garmin will allow you to download the tide software for free on their site as long as you own a mapsource product.

Thanks for the link JumpinJoe...I totally missed it on my first skim-through of the thread. This is one piece of software I have never even heard about and if it works as advertised will be a very welcome addition to my 60C. <_<

I'm learning. Thanks for all the help.

Now if I can just figure out how to transfer a map to the 60C and not delete all the maps already on there...

fyi- the sw I downloaded for the tide info is here:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=159

After a bit of trial and mostly error, it's working fine on my 60C.

Thanks for the link to the Tide Software. I installed it and it looks great on the 60C. <_<

Joe or Larebel,

Help me out. Which of the two downloads do I need? I have a 60C and use the CitySelect Ver5 for mapping. Do I need the 1.4 Meg or the 5+ meg tide download. Also how about the warning that if used on another unit (other than the 162) it might cause lockups and require factory help? Is this just blowing smoke?? I don't have Topo or Roads and Rec or any other "outdoor" mapping software, just Cityselect. Thanks for the help fell free to e-mail me direct if you want.

Do I need the 1.4 Meg or the 5+ meg tide download. Also how about the warning that if used on another unit (other than the 162) it might cause lockups and require factory help?

You need the 5+ meg download. It will install the Tide Points software which is basically an additional mapset to select from/use from within MapSource. The map chunks are ~55k in size (very small) and will probably fit even if you think you may not have the space.

Maybe blowing smoke, maybe not. I have had no problems using this. If others do, I'm sure you'll hear about it here.

Do I need the 1.4 Meg or the 5+ meg tide download.  Also how about the warning that if used on another unit (other than the 162) it might cause lockups and require factory help?

You need the 5+ meg download. It will install the Tide Points software which is basically an additional mapset to select from/use from within MapSource. The map chunks are ~55k in size (very small) and will probably fit even if you think you may not have the space.

Maybe blowing smoke, maybe not. I have had no problems using this. If others do, I'm sure you'll hear about it here.

I tucked this thread away in the back of my mind for the day my 60CS arrived. Now that it's here, has anyone had Mapsource or 60C/S problems due to using the 162 tide software on an unsupported unit? I'll use my GPS on the ocean a few weekends out of year and it would sure be handy to have tide info, but only if it doesn't cause crashes or other problems.

Anyone have problems with MapSource US Tides Software?

Thanks!

I downloaded and installed the tide maps with no hitches. Worth it just for a cool new page to look at. It also shows you how MapSource works with more than one set of maps installed.

Are there any other cool freebies like this lurking at Garmin?

I'm surprised that neither the basemap nor City Select seems to have lighthouses. Does anyone know if they are included in Topo 100K? Or do you have to get Blue Charts?

The Sullivan's Island Lighthouse in Bluecharts shows as a white light sector with the following information available when it is selected:

Name - Charleston

Light Type - Flashing

Period - 30.0secs

Flash Sequence - 0.2secs,4.8secs,0.2secs,11.4...

Light Sector - White, 26nm, 217º - 71º

Light Sector - White, 26nm, 71º - 217º

International designation - J2646

Note - Intens 217º-71º. Reserve Light.

Height Above Datum - 164.0 ft

Height Above Datum - 141.0 ft

Topo identifies it as a white circle with FL (2) W 30S which means Flashing, 2 lights, White with a period of 30 seconds.

The Points Of Interest CD shows it as a white circle with FL (2)W 30S. It too is selectable but it only shows:

FL (2)W 30S

Charleston Lt

This lighthouse does not show up on the Recreational Lakes maps.

Edit: left out the word "Island"

Edited by Rubberhead