Geocache Deaths?

ChileHead

I normally cache alone, which probably increases the danger level. Whether it be crossing a raging ice cold creek on a log, crossing a pond that you hope if fully frozen over, or climbing a tree to get that cache that's 20 feet up, there certainly are dangers in this sport.

Have there ever been reports of somebody getting killed while out caching?

I don't know about you guys but if I die while caching I won't be logging that one and you sure as heck won't know about it. But who knows maybe some of the forum suicide magic will rub off and I'll get to come back.

LOL! Just refuse to go into the light....

Then again, if your body refuses to accept you back, do you go into geocaching limbo?

Sn <_<:blink: gans

Opens up a whole new realm to the sport.

*You have much more time to go hunting since you have no way to work.

*No need to stop for rest, food, drink, bathroom, call the wife, etc...

*Don't have to worry about staying on the trail or even on the ground.

*Float in the air to get your best reception then sink to the ground and start searching.

*Float in the air to get your best reception then sink to the ground and start searching.

Only problem is that you wouldn't be able to carry your GPSr! (doh!)

Only problem is that you wouldn't be able to carry your GPSr! (doh!)

But with death's release comes life's full knowledge....so you wouldn't need a GPSr.... <_<

I don't know about you guys but if I die while caching I won't be logging that one and you sure as heck won't know about it.  But who knows maybe some of the forum suicide magic will rub off and I'll get to come back.

Then again, if your body refuses to accept you back, do you go into geocaching limbo?

Sn <_<:D gans

Snoogans, I think you're correct. If this happens, then the geocacher is only allowed to log locationless caches.

I don't know about you guys but if I die while caching I won't be logging that one and you sure as heck won't know about it.  But who knows maybe some of the forum suicide magic will rub off and I'll get to come back.

Sn <_<:D gans

Snoogans, I think you're correct. If this happens, then the geocacher is only allowed to log locationless caches.

nawwww. That would be the ultimate virtual. There is an approver with higher authority.

With a sport this vast, I am sure that there has been at least 1, but is there really a way to confirm it unless it happened while someone else was there to know it?

As for me, I am retired and have a severe heart condition that could, possibly end that way, and there are many times when I go caching alone. After all I am retired (due to the illness) and the rest of the family isnt. The fact is, I dont want to sit at home, and this is a great way to get some exercise so there are a few precautions everyone should take.

1. Be sure to mark your starting place so you can get back - you can always delete the waypoint later.

2. If you have a cell phone, and most of us do - DONT LEAVE IT IN THE CAR - take the thing with you - after all that is what it is for.

3. If you are going out alone, you might want to leave a list of cache locations you are going to visit on your desk where the computer is located so that if you dont return for some reason, someone will have a great search path to start with.

4. Whenever possible, do your caching with someone else. It is usually more fun anyway.

5. Dont go into places alone that you know arent exactly safe - like the wrong kind of neighborhood, etc. Historic sites in cities like mine are great places to visit, but the neighborhoods around them arent necessarily safe to be in alone.

6. The idea is to have fun so dont be stupid, if you are handicapped like me, and you are alone, go for the ones you know you can get, like a cool 1/1.

Happy Hunting