Vest Rather Than Backpack

sbukosky

After caching with a backpack, I find that it is useful for carrying an ammo box but very hot and inconvenient when wanting to get at the binoculars, camera and trading items. I decided a vest would be the way to go. I checked the local outdoors stores here and they don't have a good selection. What better place to get a recomendation of a brand and model than from you good people! I see they don't come cheaply and $50 is not out of line. I'm looking for function and comfort. Thanks!

vest1.jpg

I really love mine. It's a Columbia Sportswear Trekker Travel Vest. I think they retail for about $60 or so, but I picked mine up on eBay for about $20.

I just checked for "Columbia Vest" on eBay, I see several, but none of my particular kind. Still, there are several good ones and the prices are nice.

Bret

I've been thinking the same thing. I'm getting wary of rooting around in my butt pack for whater it is I'm looking for. I did timber cruising many years ago and loved that vest. The back pocket is the key that any other vest I've looked at was missing. I could put a fullsize clipboard and lunch back there. I'd bet a 30 mm can could fit back there, though uncomfortably.

Check Forestry Suppliers for a start. I'm sure there are other sources. Mine old one was made by my boss' wife so it was not too expensive. I've long since lost it in many moves. But new and fresh they go for 50-60 bucks or so. They are meant to be worn everyday, loaded. So they should hold up to a lifetime of recreational use.

I have one of the newer e-vests with the removable sleeves and that is a great feature. I commute by bicycle and, in Pittsburgh, that can mean a 25 degree ride in and a 60 degree ride home (or vice versa). It's good to be able to take the sleeves off.

But when sumer comes and I'm not wearing the e-vest any more, I go back to using my CamelBak for caching. If I pack it right I can reach back and get the GPS, PDA or swag out of the pouches without having to take it off.

I admit that vests are very useful, but they have a high geek factor look.  Wandering around some NJ parks in that getup could get you a can of whoopassl

I would agree with Brian on this one, they would be useful for short little jaunts. But when you want to do some serious back country travel they just can't carry enough to supplies for the trek.

Another thing is that they don't work well when used in combination with a pack because most of the shoulder and sternum straps make acess to the pockets almost impossible.

f7be6165-4ef6-427d-9fe1-5807965e80a6.jpg

Gazza&Girls,

Thanks for reminding me of the tattered old cruiser's vest I still have from my surveying days more than two decades ago.

It's truly amazing the amount of stuff you can put in that back pocket, A dozen hubs (2X2 stakes), a can of spray paint and a clip board f'rinstance. Plus it has all the right pockets for pens, notebooks, compass, lunch etc. Hmm, I might have to go shopping... Or if you want to be seen...

As for the geek factor. You'll probably attract a lot of questions of the "What kind of work are you doing" sort, which is better than the "What kind of nefarious, perverted, drug dealing no good are you up to" sort.

A vest with a butt pack set me up nicely for one single night treks in the summer. Being paid piecework I hated wasting time going to and from the survey areas. If it was a warm night, a bivy sack was the bulkiest extra I carried.

The vest decision I'm trying to decide on is to get one properly sized, to fit under coat, or oversized to go over a coat on cold days. I guess also part of the decision is that I then become the mule for the family team. It is often helpful to let the gilrs have the "privledge" of carrying the pack. And when we get to the cache, I drop the pack and everybody has their routine taking what they need out of it.

The military style load bearing rigs seem like a good idea but I would not want to portray that sort of image while geocaching. With a good field vest you would look the part of a city planner or surveyor.

Gazza&Girls,

Thanks for reminding me of the tattered old cruiser's vest I still have from my surveying days more than two decades ago.

It's truly amazing the amount of stuff you can put in that back pocket, A dozen hubs (2X2 stakes), a can of spray paint and a clip board f'rinstance. Plus it has all the right pockets for pens, notebooks, compass, lunch etc. Hmm, I might have to go shopping... Or if you want to be seen...

As for the geek factor. You'll probably attract a lot of questions of the "What kind of work are you doing" sort, which is better than the "What kind of nefarious, perverted, drug dealing no good are you up to" sort.

Filson was always the Armani of field tech's gear. :) Top shelf stuff there. My boss had Filson tin pants and a really sharp jacket. We made him alot of money.

I have been considering vest as well. This is an informative thread, thanks. I might try my old hunting vest for a while just to see if the concept works out.

As far as the geek factor goes, If I'm running around with a GPS and compass looking for tupperware how worried am I going to be about fashion? :)

As my name's been mentioned as a well-known VestCacher, I thought I would post this photo of the LepreVest. It's not the best picture... snapped on the digital camera built into my PDA, near the site of our 500th cache find... but it best illustrates my standard geocaching costume. I got tired of BOTH having to fumble around in a backpack, and getting questioned by people about what I was doing. Wearing all green makes me look like a rather official elf, and I don't get suspicious looks anymore... instead, I get asked for directions since I've been variously mistaken as a game warden and a park ranger. The vest works great to keep all my small items organized and easily accessible. On my back I wear a Camelbak MULE pack, and in its pockets I keep less frequently needed items like raingear, a cache repair kit and snacks. The backpack straps do NOT interfere with the vest pockets. Most importantly, look for a vest that has a small pocket very close to the shoulder. Mine holds the GPS very securely (see photo... the GPS is on my left side and that's a cellphone hanging off the backpack strap on the right side). The antenna pokes above my shoulder so I hold a satellite lock. This keeps my hands free to enjoy the hike, except when I need to refer to my GPS. This vest was bought at K-Mart for $20. There are many geocachers who have never seen me in any outfit other than what's pictured below. I assure everyone that I do wash everything in between cache expeditions. Usually.

d63370ea-f29b-4dd1-b065-501017ab0b68.jpg

There are many geocachers who have never seen me in any outfit other than what's pictured below.

Nice hat.

I saw vests at my local surplus store when I was looking at ammo cans. I might go back and look at them more closely. The issue I have is that summertime in CA can get pretty hot. What does one look for to minimize the effect of having another 'layer' on?

As I used to work in the outdoor industry I have several Day Packs, Fanny Packs and Vest etc. For me it depends on how much of a trek I will me on. If my girlfreind and I are doing a day of urban caches a small fanny pack with trade items, Bateries, Pens and so on will be all we need. If we are going for a cache that will require more of a treck, then a Day pack to carry a couple bottles of water is the better choice. For long hikes in the summer I carry a Day pack with a built in hydration bag, in the pack I carry a fleece vest and a lunch just in case it starts to cool off outside.

In the summer a lite vest is fine, I use one made by Columbia ( THey make about four styles) In cooler weater I use a fleece vest made by Mt. Hardware in a fanny pack.

THere is no one vest or fanny pack that is going to perfect for every thing.