Want Advice On Dealing With Public Parks Agency

WalruZ

EBRPD Banning Geocaches? is a thread dealing with a problem in the San Francisco bay area. Two counties on the east side of the bay, a very large area, have parks administered by a regional parks body. It's a lot of land, and for some reason they have gotten a bug in their bonnet and, word is, are banning geocaches from their parks.

We locals are trying to figure out the best way to approach the problem. What we would like is advice from people who have had the same problem in other parts of the country. obviously, personalites will differ, but any case studies would interest us. What happened? How bad was the problem? How did you structure a response? What was the outcome? What suggestions might you have for us?

Thanks in advance.

Definitely need to show them what geocaching is about. Find someone who is in charge and see if they'd like to sit down and talk about geocaching and their concerns, or even go out and find one to see what it's all about. Make sure to pick up trash on the way and explain CITO.

If you haven't done so already, once that's done, make sure to open dialogue with all area parks officials so this doesn't happen in the first place.

Here in MD we have guidelines and contact info for most all parks.

http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=Parks

If you already have a regional geocaching organization, go through them. They probably have experience with this sort of stuff. If not, you can try to form one so you can put your heads together and come up with a strategy. Then choose one, or two people to present your case.

Some things you can do:

Point out the various entities who have embraced the sport to one degree, or another.

The BLM, Cleveland parks (who have actually placed some of their own caches), states like PA, Ark and MD, many Audobon preserves, the St Johns Water Management District in FLa and countless others ('m sure people here can add to the list).

Point out the benefits of the sport. Whats in it for them? Increased recreational opportunities for users, with minimal expense on their part. More park visitors.

More people who are aware of the area and become advocates for the park system.

Also, correct misconceptons. I noticed in the letter in the thread you referenced they said

"disturbances to historic and cultural structures, fences being cut and sensitive habitat being dug up in the search for buried caches."

I haven't been there, but I doubt caches are being buried and fences are being cut by geocachers. So be sure to set them straight on this (but if its true, then perhaps the ban is warranted).

Edited by briansnat
I haven't been there, but I doubt caches are being buried and fences are being cut by geocachers. So be sure to set them straight on this (but if its true, then perhaps the ban is warranted).

This is our responsiblity to address this, but it's probably safe to say that Geocaching is being used as a scapegoat for the activities of others.

How did this person come to their conclusion? Was the a Geocaching advocate present? If not, which seems to be the case, it leaves room for the "fear of the unknown" and false assumptions. Definitely schedule a face to face meeting, preferably through a local Geocaching organization if one exists. It lends more credibility than an individual.

Looks to me that your regulatory agency may be setting a policy based on caches being placed in areas they may consider sensitive (not uncommon in shoreline, wetlands, or riparian habitat). From the link found in the link, the three caches were all in a shoreline park, I’m willing to bet that none of the three had even thought of asking permission to place the caches and just placed them on public property with out thought of the consequences. It’s quite possible that those three caches are going to cause you to go into a damage control mode. Perhaps when dealing with the agency clearly defined guidelines could be established based upon those used by others.