Gps Map60 Issue

bilbo19

I received my map 60 a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that when I bump it too hard usually up around the top by the antenna it will turn itself off.

I am assuming this is not a normal thing but wanted to make sure in the forums. I am in the process of getting an RMA with Garmin but thought I would check here first.

The reason I noticed it at all is I had set it on my dash and when I turned a corner it slid to the end and (didnt fall) hit the end and turned off. SO I tried it as a test and held it in my hand and tapped it. It took a little bit of force but not nearly hard enough to hurt it or do any damage.

So anyone have this issue???

Erick

The reason I noticed it at all is I had set it on my dash and when I turned a corner it slid to the end and (didnt fall) hit the end and turned off.

So anyone have this issue???

Hey Erick -

You know, now that you mention this, and the specifics of how it happened, mine has done the exact same thing: slid off the dash, bumped the antenna and then it turned itself off. I hadn't equated the two until now.

Very interesting.

I just sent my 60C in yesterday as it was having some OTHER issues (backlight wasn't coming on at all, and then I accidentally squeezed the unit - back to front - and it came on.)

I'm interested in hearing how things go down with your particular problem.

-=-

michelle

Thanks to Neo-Geo for those posts and thoughts. I think that might be it.

I hadnt thought about the batteries being "loose" I think when I get home tonight I will try putting a piece of foam in the battery compartment and see if I can duplicate error ie shutting off.

I will post my results later and let everyone know what happens if I find the batteries loose or not and if a piece of foam will fix it.

Erick

Well it looks like the battery is the issue in my case. I got home and took the back cover over and proceeded to move the batteries around in different ways and I finally found a spot that if I barely moved it it would shut off. I then secured the batteries and tried bumping it again and it never shut off.

I havent put any foam in it but it looks like that should be some kind of solution. Unless someone else out there has a better way of securing the batteries in place.

It will king of suck to have to make sure that is in place everytime you change batteries.

Now I have to decide if I should send it back to be fixed...what are they going to do :huh: to fix it?!?!? Either nothing or put a piece of foam in it HAHAHA.