Adopt-A-Highway Program Info

MissJenn

Hi All.

There has recently been some interest in connecting CITO with doing highway clean-ups, so I have been working on a list of Adopt - A - Highway program info, mostly across the United States.

Each state has their own rules and regulations so check out the specifics at each Department of Transportation. Some counties and cities have their own programs, too, but I didn't have that much free time.

I would appreciate any help you can provide:

- if the links I have are not so current or not the best one

- more international links

- etc

It is a work in progress. It will never be complete.

Edited by MissJenn

From the Caltrans Brochure

(California Program)

Participation can include one or more of the following activities.

• Removing litter on a two-mile stretch of roadside (frequency varies with location).

• Planting and establishing five acres of seedling trees and/or shrubs according to an approved plan.

• Planting and establishing three acres of wildflowers according to an approved plan.

• Planting and establishing a small area of wildflowers, called a “spot" wildflower adoption, according to an approved plan. (Note: Spot wildflower adopters do not qualify for Adopt-A-Highway signs.)

How Much Does It Cost?

A volunteer group that performs litter removal and uses a standard recognition panel on their Adopt-A-Highway sign will incur no costs. However, certain supplies needed for other adoption types, such as plants, tools, or paints, are usually purchased by the adopting group. Caltrans will supply the following items free of charge:

• An Adopt-A-Highway Encroachment Permit.

• The manufacture and installation of Adopt-A-Highway signs and standard recognition panels.

• A safety orientation for group safety leaders.

• Safety gear for volunteer participants (hard hats, vests, gloves, safety glasses, and litter pickers) and safety-training materials for group use.

• Adopt-A-Highway litter bags.

• Collection and disposal of filled Adopt-A-Highway litter bags and other debris cleared from the adoption site.

• Removing graffiti as needed from one or more highway structures.

• Controlling weeds on five acres of right-of-way according to an approved plan. :D

Edited by Bo Peep and the Sheep

The Northwest Ohio Geocachers NWOGeo.org recently adopted a 2 mile section of highway thru the Ohio Department of Transportation. We are responsible for cleanup 4 times a year. Our first CITO event is May 22nd. ---> GCJDW0

They posted nice signs for us, one on each end of the section of highway and provide orange "men working" signs and give us plastic safety vests and trash bags as well as pick up the trash when we are done.

I'll hopefully post some pics when we are done :(

Louisiana's Adopt-a-Road Program is with the DOTD. The most current URL I've found is http://www.dotd.louisiana.gov/programs_gra...dopt_a_road.asp (this would be the link to include in your list, MissJenn).

I'm currently trying to get at least a millismidgen of support for the idea of adopting a road, as I see it as not only a nice way of volunteering, but also a great little bit of PR. So far it looks like I'm the only one interested, but if I get at least, say, 500 microsmidgens of support, I'd be tempted to just do it. If it turns out that no other cachers decided to help, I'd bribe some of my friends into pretending to be cachers to help clean up (they owe me favors, anyway).

There are plenty of CITO events on the geocaching.com calendar, and the one for northeastern Pennsylvania is Pocono Geocachers' CITO Event on 191 and can be found at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ff-f35add88830e

If you're in this area, please watch the cache... we're thrilled to be a part of the Pennsylvania Adopt-A-Highway.

:(

Edited by unimoggers

How did the "2.2 mi get decided? What a random number!

:(

It was ME I am random.

QSR

QSR

It is just what I picked.

I wanted to do from my house to the Start of the Junctions of the Hwy's.

It took me a while to get it going but it feels good to have it in place after all the work.

I have inspired many in the process's.

And many have kept me inspired to keep it going to the end.

Now we can all enjoy it.

There is much still in the works and it will reveal itself like all the others.

Thanks Everyone for your continued support.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1