Gpx Files From Web Searches

Deckyon

I did a quick search to see if this was discussed. Didn't find anything. flame me if you want if I missed a thread...

I would like to see, for premium members, the ability to save quick web searches to .GPX file format, not just .LOC format. Or, when we run a PQ to be able to save as GPX as well as LOC without having to wait for the PQ to run automatically. :o

The current PQ engine is really nice. I have about 10 pocket queries set up, but all of them are in "unckecked" state, meaning that they don't automatically run. The night before I am going caching, I go in an check that day for the PQ I want to run. Assuming I haven't run it in over a day, it will usually fire off within 5 minutes. For areas that you cache regularly, you may want to have two duplicate PQs and just check the one that is closer to the top of the list (i.e. the one that hasn't been run in a while). I actually have three duplicate PQs I use for my home area, for those consecutive caching days. Don't forget to go back and uncheck them after the PQ has been received.

I think this method is best because it is using the PQ server to generate the .gpx files, and not the webserver (which is what the original post of this thread was asking for). That would be a big burden on the webserver. I think the webserver is burdened enough as it is... :)

--Marky

We don't run the pocket queries in real time because of the CPU power it takes to generate them.

As the others have stated, we've increased the efficiency of the pocket queries so they run pretty fast nowadays.

What we are looking into, however, is the ability to download a GPX file instead of a LOC file directly from cache pages. This will be a premium member feature.

What we are looking into, however, is the ability to download a GPX file instead of a LOC file directly from cache pages. This will be a premium member feature.

Sweet. This is something I am looking forward to. I find myself running a pocket query when I normally wouldn't because a cache just popped up in my area and I want to get it onto the PDA. If I could download a GPX instead of a LOC for that cache, that would be very nice.

--RuffRidr

That would be sweet. Being in a paperless mode now there are times I would like to quickly add just a couple of caches without going through the whole PQ process.

Keep up the good work, most of us appreciate it. <_<

Jim

Would also be nice to have Benchmarks added to the PocketQueries and GPX download for the Benchmarks.

Have you tried BMGPX? Fuzzy does a great job of forcing benchmark data into the GPX format. Just discovered this last week - and this is my first markwell to the subject. :)

...I would like to see, for premium members, the ability to save quick web searches to .GPX file format, not just .LOC format...

One option, albeit adding a step to the process, is to open your .loc file with EasyGPS and then "Save As" a .gpx.

This is what I do to use a .loc file in Quakemap. It works for me--just a slight additional step. Since I normally use EasyGPS to load the .loc into my GPSr, the added effort is pretty minor.

Dave_W6DPS

One option, albeit adding a step to the process, is to open your .loc file with EasyGPS and then "Save As" a .gpx.

This is what I do to use a .loc file in Quakemap. It works for me--just a slight additional step. Since I normally use EasyGPS to load the .loc into my GPSr, the added effort is pretty minor.

The problem there is you do not get all the description and information and hints and logs. Sure, I could not get that and still get to the cache, but...

I just want to be able to export a GPS file from a web search instead of the LOC file.