Bike Mount

R4D4R

Does anyone know of a GPSr mount that will attach to the h2o bottle holes of a MTB frame? I have a camelbak and dont really use the water bottle cages, it would be schweet if i could get a bracket that will hold a GPSr there. If not, i could probably mangle up an old cage. Im not too keen on putting a unit right on the handlebars

i dont really need to look at the thing *all* the time, id rather use it for plotting my course on my PC rather than use it for actually navigating. also, i really dont want to take it out when i go OTB, which happens quite a lot :unsure:

also, if i were to do this, i would mount it on the downtube which would be easier to view than on the seat tube

You also need to consider that your body will be hanging over the GPS blocking the little sky it can see straight up through the leaves. It might actully do better in a backpack/camelback. You might want to try strapping or taping it to your downtube before you spend too much time making a fancy bracket.

OTB = over the bars. Hate it when that happens. :unsure:

Edited by mochalatte

I've never seen a GPSr mount made to fit in the bottle bosses, but it's an interesting thought and would be a stable connection between the bike and the cradle. I would have to agree, however, that positioned below the rider, whether on the seat tube or the down tube, the GPSr would have poor satellite reception, unless an external antenna was mounted elsewhere (like on the handlebars ;) ).

The MTBikers I know who carry a GPSr use a cellphone holster on the sholder straps of their Camelbacks. The GPSr has a clear view of the sky, and it keeps the extra weight off the bike. I know a GPSr doesn't weigh a lot, but when you're picking your bike up to get over that log you can't quite clear for the 40th time, every little item on the bike gets VERY heavy. Keep the bike light. Carry the extras on your body.

- Kewaneh

I agree with the others that placing the GPS under your body will increase the likelyhood that you'll lose the signal.

You didn't say which kind of GPS you are using, so I'll just assume you have a Meridian, like I do. Doesn't everyone have a Meridian? Why didn't you tell us which GPS you have?

My RAM cradle for my Meridian has a flat back, and simply by drilling two appropriately spaced holes, a couple of washers and bolts, it would very easy to attach it to the bike frame.

ramholma2.jpg

Jamie