Garmin 60cs Windshield Mount Broke After 20 Min.

After reading the replies from my post about what car mount to get, I decided on the windshield suction cup mount. What a piece of junk. After 20 minutes of driving on a smooth interstate, the thing broke. The cheap plastic part of the suction cup latch just broke in half. The GPS crashed onto the dash. Seems to be okay, but I was mad. B) Hope GPSNOW will take it back, think I'll try the beanbag mount.

I'm now a happy user of the beanbag, after being similarly frustrated by the dash mount. I needed half of the dash mount (everything but the base and adhesive disk) in order to use the beanbag, though. You need to have the circular base that clicks into the beanbag in order to use it.

The rammount for the 60 C-Cs will not be out for 20 days! Here is the email I got:

20 days

Best Regards,

Jeff Carnevali

Pres./CEO

I have one for the Vista and they cant be beat! Dont buy any other then Ram.....

I was assuming that the 60C would work with the RAM RINO mount. I guess I'm wrong?

...think I'll try the beanbag mount.

I've used the Garmin beanbag and 3 things about it bother me: it scuffs the dash to the point that the marks are hard to buff out; it vibrates off the dash on rough roads; and it would be a potentially dangerous flying object in a crash.

Of the other alternatives, I do not like the idea of mounts that must be fixed with adhesive to the top of the dash. Windshield suction mounts seem popular with some folks but I find that they vibrate on rough roads, eventually fall off even when applied properly, make cleaning the inside of the windshield difficult, and obscure vision.

My preferred solution is a ProClip. They attach to various places depending on the car; mine snaps into an a/c vent. Very clean & secure. I simply screw a Garmin mount to it.

Edited by bigeddy
The rammount for the 60 C-Cs will not be out for 20 days! Here is the email I got:

20 days

Best Regards,

Jeff Carnevali

Pres./CEO

I have one for the Vista and they cant be beat! Dont buy any other then Ram.....

I was assuming that the 60C would work with the RAM RINO mount. I guess I'm wrong?

I think the main body is the same, but the top is, of course, different. The mount has to have something that goes over the top to hold the unit in place.

If I were the original poster, I'd wait until the RAMs for the 60 are available. I've had the suction cup mount for my Vista on my windshield for over a year, and it's never come off. And that's with 100+ temps in the summer. If I need to remove the GPS holder, I can just release the holding clamp and take off the swivel arm and holder, leaving the suction cup and ball-mount still attached.

Before attaching any suction cup, clean the glass really good with a glass cleaner that won't leave a residue. I like Invisible Glass, available at most auto stores (PEP Boys, etc.)

Edited by Prime Suspect

Actually I am using my windshield mount from my Vista. It works OK. It is just a bit tight in there and looks like it could pop out but hasn't so far. The A/C adapter kind of helps hold it in place also. I have ordered the suction cup mount for the CS but it is not here yet. It is on it's way or I would cancel it and order something different based on the original posters troubles.

murph

After reading the replies from my post about what car mount to get, I decided on the windshield suction cup mount. What a piece of junk. After 20 minutes of driving on a smooth interstate, the thing broke. The cheap plastic part of the suction cup latch just broke in half. The GPS crashed onto the dash. Seems to be okay, but I was mad. :D Hope GPSNOW will take it back, think I'll try the beanbag mount.

Well I got my suction cup mount today. I can see where it will break fairly easy. Because of the curve in my windshield my passenger has a better chance of seeing it. It rattles as you go down the road and trying to hook up your A/C adapter is a pain in the butt as the cradle doesn't allow for it. Glad my name isn't attached to the design of this.

:ph34r::mad:

murph