Just A Little Feedback...

persiangeek

I heard about geocaching on another forum when I started a post entitled...I need an adventure. Someone pointed me toward geocaching.com and now I"m dying to find my first cache.

My main hurdle was getting a GPS unit. I have a lot of gadgets and I'm technically inclined but never having seen or used a GPS before I have no idea what features I need or am looking for.

I know I want one that can connect to my computer.

Well I was in Best Buy yesterday and they had a Magellan SporTrak Map open box for $169 with a $30 MIR, then I had a $20 Gift Card. So I went ahead and picked it up while it was available.

I've seen several posts about Garmin vs. Magellan so I'm not trying to start a flame war, but is there any reason to return this one for the Garmin Legend?

Are the features comparable? The main thing I'm going to be using this for is geocaching and maybe some wardriving.

As a side question - What do most people have in their bags when they go out?

I've seen some people post about downloading info to PDA's so if it will matter with suggestions I have an iPaq 2215.

Thanks

I Use a Garmin E-Trex Vista and having never used a Magellan, I couldnt tell you the similiarities. The vista can be easily connected to your computer via the serial port and can hold up to 500 waypoints. It also tons of other built in features that would take quite a while to explain.

As far as what to pack in your caching bag, I guess its all a matter of personal taste. I never go caching without:

spare batteries

flashlight

pen / pencil

gloves

cellphone

zip loc bags

trade items

Welcome to our obsession :rolleyes:

i have a garmin. there is absolutely no reason you should trade unless you like it better.

my cache partner uses a magellan. he likes it just fine. i like the garmin. each has its strengths and liabilities. they're both good.

now run along and play.

If you asked ahead of time, I'd advise you to get the Legend, but since you already have the Sportrak there is no reason to ditch it. It's a fine unit and will do the job.

As far as what to pack, for the quick and easy caches, just a bag of trade goodies. For the longer hikes, anything you'd take hiking. Some people also like to bring a cache repair kit...some Ziplocs, extra logbook,pencils and duct tape.

Here are some forum threads that discuss the subject of what to pack in detail:

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

And that's just for starters!!!! As far as your PDA, do a search on paperless geocaching for plenty of suggestions. Cachemate is very popular (but it costs money) and many are very happy with using Spinner & Plucker to download caches to their PDA. Those are free and what I use. I'm very happy with them.

Edited by briansnat

I had a SporTrak Map for a while. I actually just sold it because I don't really need it anymore, as I also have a Meridian Gold. They are great units, and I liked mine a lot. I used my SporTrak side by side with an eTrex Vista, and I liked the SporTrak much more. Others who have done the same like the eTrex much more.

Overall they are great. There is a slight design flaw however, that you may want to watch out for. Some people have the problem, some people don't. It's better to know about the problem now either way.

Stress Cracks

As far as your PDA, do a search on paperless geocaching for plenty of suggestions. Cachemate is very popular (but it costs money) and many are very happy with using Spinner & Plucker to download caches to their PDA. Those are free and what I use. I'm very happy with them.

His iPaq will be running Windoze, no doubt. I think Cachemate and Plucker are both Palm-only, but I could be wrong.

Do the paperless caching searches - you'll find plenty of info for your mini-bloatware machine. :rolleyes::P:ph34r:

GPXSonar is what you want for PocketPC.

Re: Magellan / Garmin I've used both and like them both. I think the Magellan did me a bit better in more 'adverse' conditions but the Legend recovered quickly. Overall it's a matter of personal preference, considering size, user interface, etc. The Legend has the SporTrak beat hands down in size but the rest is all pretty much subjective.

Enjoy your SporTrak. :rolleyes: