Cacher`s Greeting....how?

bumbum

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

Edited by briansnat
I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left arm on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! He-he-he! Yaba baba daba. Runny, money, me!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

There are things I would pay money to see. THIS, is one of those things.

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left arm on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

Uh... I don't think I'll be coming back to Jersey for a while. :)

In the deep south your usually caught "P"ing on a nearby tree, so the usual greeting is running the opposite way the other cacher is approaching in a very strange manor while while trying to keep your GPSr from falling out from under your armpit, then returning and submiting a VERBAL greeting and pointing the other guy in the wrong direction.

Nick T

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left arm on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we!  Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!".  At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

Man am I glad I didn't run into any other cachers last weekend while I was in NJ. :)

I only had time for 3 rest stop micros (that might get you arrested on the GSP), and two on Sunday morning. I had my 70 year old, very serious lawyer father along for those two.

As it is he doesn't understand most of the choices I've made in life..... :)

To a deaf person that might mean, "Hi, I'm a lesbian with a funny looking cell phone.

When I first saw the Jeremy finger thing, My first thought was that song by smashmouth, "All Star"

-lyrics: She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb In the shape of an "L" on her forehead

Someone might mistake that sign as you calling them a looser, with bad hand/eye coordination? :)

I always just wave with my GPS in my hand. To the muggles it looks like I'm just sayin' high, but the cachers know what's up.

Bret

A cacher just used that one on me the other day. No words just pulled his GPSr out of his pocket and waved it at me. I laughed. I was at the cache location searching. So there was no question. He just jumped in and started searching.

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

I'm currently in New Jersey visiting. Thanks for explaining what it was that I saw the other day. :)

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we!  Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!".  At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

I'm currently in New Jersey visiting. Thanks for explaining what it was that I saw the other day. :)

You should see what goes on on the west coast. :lol::lol::)

Some weeks ago we were searching for a very well hidden cache. Suddenly I saw a dog coming close to me. He had the first two letters of a http://www.bob.be/index.htm key fob affixed to his dog-collar so I knew this must be a geodog. The owner told me that this is his dogs name: Bo. Someone has placed lots of this key fobs in caches in the .nl/.be area so they are very common to the local cachers.

Jeez Brian, when I went to your event cache in the Catskills last summer, all you said was "Hey, are you Metaphor or Waterboy?" Just because we don't live in New Jersey, doesn't mean we aren't, well, you know, COOL, too. Why didn't we get the the special greeting, huh? Man, now I'm not sure that you're as, well, you know, COOL, as you think you are MR. BIG FORUM MAN. Sometimes people just don't think of others. Call me thin-skinned, but it hurts, man, it hurts...

Jeez Brian, when I went to your event cache in the Catskills last summer, all you said was "Hey, are you Metaphor or Waterboy?" Just because we don't live in New Jersey, doesn't mean we aren't, well, you know, COOL, too. Why didn't we get the the special greeting, huh? Man, now I'm not sure that you're as, well, you know, COOL, as you think you are MR. BIG FORUM MAN. Sometimes people just don't think of others. Call me thin-skinned, but it hurts, man, it hurts...

If I recall this correctly, when I challenged you with "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" , you responded "You bet your sweet bippy I am". Since that was a non standard answer what was I to think? So of course I was less than friendly with you all weekend. You could have been an enemy Letterboxer carrying a GPS to throw the rest of us off.

Edited by briansnat

OK, I told you that story so that I could tell you this one. Caching for 7 months now and have never met a fellow cacher in person. (yes Briansnat it is MY fault for not going to the cache events, I get it already. I SAID, I GET IT. STOP BIRD DOGGING ME!) Two weeks ago a stage on my mystery cache was muggled. Been working a lot and I honestly wanted to replace the stage but the process is fairly labor intensive.

Well today was AWESOME, 70 degrees and slightly overcast. In short, perfect caching weather. Ani and I head out to grab one new cache and one old one we have been meaning to get to. The first one is called "Speed Trap". Bottom of a hill and the cops hang there ALOT (Hence the name). Well I'm not real bright and I'm watching the GPSr, watching the road (a little). OKAY, OKAY I was watching the GPSr when the arrow goes LEFT. Woops missed it. Look up and guess what? Yep, non descript black sedan sitting right there. Lovely. Well I look at him, he looks at me and he is not a cop. Turn around and pull in right next to him. Guess what, he has a caching sticker! Not sure exactly how I greeted him but it was something like "Hi, howyoudoing?YouraGeocacher.Lookingforspeedtrapcache?We'reJohnnieStalkers." I might have been a little excited. We chat for a while. He is shows me his PDA and scolds me for not going to the last cache event. (Yes, Briansnat, I KNOW!) He says "Hey Johnnie Stalkers, you've got that On the Rocks Cache right? The one with stage 2 missing." OK so I feel about 2 inches tall. My cache sits disabled and I'm out caching. Looks like I got busted at the SPEED TRAP after all. He asks for a hint, I help him out, of course.

We find the 2 caches and head home. I get right to work on stage 2 and take it out to place it. After it is in place I decide to walk to the cache and read some logs. Walking past stage 1 I notice a couple bent over looking at something that looks suspiciously like a GPSr. I cruise by them and say hi. They say hi and the guy puts the "PDA" behind his back. Hmmmm, interesting. I walk on around the bend. Turn around and come back, they are indeed looking at something . I can't help myself. "Excuse me, but you folks wouldn't happen to be geocaching would you?" Sure enough it is Team Smurkinman. How sweet is this! Two teams in one day, simply amazing.

So after 7 months of caching I finally meet another cacher, 3 to be exact. What are the odds? Think I just might have to go to some cache events. :rolleyes: I love this game.

:rolleyes: You need to come to my stealth is key cache so we can do this happy dance in the parking lot!!!!

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left arm on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we!  Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!".  At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

Uh... I don't think I'll be coming back to Jersey for a while. :lol:

not go to new jersy are you nuts ;):lol::sad::lol::(

Uh... I don't think I'll be coming back to Jersey for a while. :lol:

not go to new jersy are you nuts ;):lol::sad::lol::(

Yes I am nuts, but that's besides the point. I have in fact been back to NJ a few times since and am happy to report that I have gotten over my fear of meeting another cacher and having to do the BrianSnat dance. In fact I was running, well actually skipping down the street sing "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". Unfortunately I was arrested for being intoxicated which I was not. I believe I was a victim of geo-profiling. The case is still pending.

I have (especially at some of the high risk urban extreme hides) been known to arrive unnoticed as another cacher was looking and in a gruff official voice ask

"Hey wattya doing there?" :D gets the encounter off to a great start. :D

You should see what goes on on the west coast.
San Francisco must be particularly interesting 
I can't believe that no one has suggested butt sniffing. I'm not suggesting it but I mean, come on, it IS obvious

Hmm.. does anyone else find this train of thought odd in a thread started by 'bumbum'?

edited to keep my post count down.. :D

Edited by wimseyguy

If I may interject...

The Jester's latest post does give me an idea - I wonder if it'd be practical to write an app for CE and PalmOS that sets up a bluetooth service, and constantly looks for another one within bluetooth range?

You'd instantly know if another Geocacher with bluetooth was within 10 meters of you!

Of course, you could probably just talk to them...