Hollow Logs

I got the idea for this thread from another recent thread but did not want to drift too far off topic! ;)

I have done one hollow log cache of my own. I got the idea from a cache that looked like it had bark glued onto the container. That seemed like a lot of work, so I took a page from the Native American canoe builders and tried fire to hollow a log. It worked pretty well but took forever. The Home Depot didn't have any "log hollowing out tools" that were cheap! I've heard of logs with hinges etc. So much for less work! :bad: Let's hear some techniques!

My uncle hollows out some of his logs with a chisle and a hammer. I know a few people that hollow them out with lateths or drills. You could always try to find one that is already hollow or part of the way there. I remember making a hollowed out sleeve for a pen in girlscouts, The guy who was helping us used a nail, if I remember correctly. Granted it has been something like 15years since I was in girlscouts, so my memory might be faulty. :bad:

Edited by The Gowen Family

On smaller logs - you can use a cordless drill, and a cut out / holesaw

Like this 6 Inch

SmallD180012.jpg

(Like the kind you use to drill a dead bolt hole in a front door-but bigger)

You can get those in several sizes-not sure how big they come, but 3-4' should be enough for a micro?

It will cut you about a 2-3 inche deep hole in the end of log - if you measure it out right, drill from both ends to make a tube about 4 inches long, maybe more.

making ends for it, camo, etc- I will leave up to you - that is the easy part-

Edited by Pto

I have done two caches in hollowed out logs. I prepared them in my shop though. Do you mean pre-prepared like that or do you need t0 hollow out a log that is 'fixed' in the forest?

If you mean the former I will be happy to e-mail the details of how I did he job.

Check out the log entries I got for mine..... (The earlier ones in particular)

LOG This One

Don't let it stump you.

In both cases the cache container was the actual log. This does give a shorter life than a metal or plastic box but the finders thought it was worth it I would say and I was pleased with the results I got.

Edited by bug&snake

I try to stay away from big power tools that can take limbs off! Bob Vila or Paul Bunyan, I am not.

Likewise! Thats why I went towards the cordless drill- they are easier to handle.

Make a micro first using the drill, then get bigger from there as you feel comfortable-

THAT IS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

I try to stay away from big power tools that can take limbs off! Bob Vila or Paul Bunyan, I am not.

Heck, I just checked your profile and didn't know you were so close.

I have the chainsaw if you have the log.. :bad:

I did one using my drill press and a forstner bit.

It was a heck of a lot of work and very time consuming since I could only work the drill press for a few minutes every hour to keep it from burning up.

The next time I do one I will drill the first 1-2 inches with the forstner bit to make a good seal surface, then use a flat spade or "speed bore" bit to take out most of the material.

I used a plumbers test plug to seal the end. It looks like it made it through the winter nut I plan to check the cache in person over the next week or two..

I hollowed out a log to hold a 50 cal ammo can in about 15 minutes. It was very easy. All I used was a 1" spade bit that I had laying around and a corded drill. Once I removed the bulk of the wood I used an old wood chisel that I borrowed. The total process took under an hour, and that was with a few "beer breaks"

You can always slab the sides, then cut out the cache hollow from the heart section, then nail the heart end caps and slabs back together. A wood preservative might be a good idea also.

Yeah, that's basically how I did the ones I mentioned above. A preservative is essential I would say if you want it to last. I made the top a 'lift off' with dowels as locating pins so it went back correctly.