Feature Request For E-mail On Cache Logs

Team Lawrence

I really enjoy when people upload images to their cache logs for my caches and like to look at them. Currently, there is no way to know when that is the case from the e-mail we get listing the log. Attaching the picture would add a lot of bandwidth to the email, so I guess that would be out. Perhaps a notice could appear on the bottom of the log that says "images uploaded" or some such. That would alert me that I have to go visit the page to check it out.

I'm not sure how soon the cache note log is sent, perhaps the email system gets the request before the images could be uploaded, but if it was possible to let me know of the images I think it would cool info to have.

Yep- whenever a photo is uploaded an email is sent (perhaps to those on a watchlist too?) would be brilliant.

I say this as I was planning a big photo uploading session to my old logs, some of which date back to 2003. I was in two minds whether to do this as I was worried that nobody would notice that they were there!

MarcB

How about having something on the watchlist that allows people to choose whether they get notified? Three settings: not watching; watch list to only include new logs; watch list for new logs and new photos attached to logs.

As a cache owner, I'd also want to be able to "opt out" of receiving notification of photo uploads to my own cache pages - maybe even on a cache by cache basis (some I may want them, others, not).

Edited by Markwell

I can see this being a useful feature, although an opt-out would be necessary.

In the past when I shot film and had to wait for pics to be developed, I often didn't upload my pictures until long after I'd posted my log. Oftentimes, my log by that point had been pushed off the 5-log page.

Now I upload my pics immediately most of the time, but as pointed out by Hemlock and Jeremy, this fact is not communicated to those watching the cache.

I know when I attend an event, I've gone back to check to see if anyone posted new pictures. I have to view all the logs and scan down to check if any are new. A notification would be useful in this instance.

Jamie

I’d give this photo notification thing some careful consideration. Event caches have dozens of photos uploaded after the event – we certainly wouldn’t want a notification for each photo. :bad:

Perhaps, similar to the weekly New Caches email, it might make sense to have an opt-in, emailed Cache Owners Report that would list last found date, logs, notes, and photo activity for the week (or month?) for all caches owned by an individual.

maybe exclude event caches :-)

I've also added photos for caches after the logging and also for Travel bugs - again often days (ok I admit it weeks) after the initial logging. Logging a bunch of caches is the priority and then uploading images tends to be secondary. I usually then just drop a note to either the cache or travel owner to say I've uploaded images, maybe a box to tick to say and notify owner would be another option and maybe at the point when you have finished uploading multiple images ?

here's another variation - when photos are of a travel bug being picked up from a cache - can the 2 photos be linked rather than uploading twice. Never sure where the best place is to log these - I usually associate these with the travel rather than the cache but then the cache owner may miss out on a piece of history. May need an associate with cache, or associate with travel option on upload ? Then do you mail the travel or cahce owner or both.

Sorry :-)

Sue

(currently "having fun" with our own cache/travel tracking database MS Access and MySQL ) with xml imports from the geocaching gpx files (php) then exporting to memory map, gps export and cachemate (VBA) . Oh yes and then publishing viewing our own progress on the web page - http://www.skampsweb.net/skamp/geocache/geocache.php )

I always thnk it would be cool to have an option to choose what you want to see, but if that made it too painful to implement, I'd still love to get the second email message that told me pictures had been uploaded. If it was for a cache I didn't want to see them on, I could easily enough delete the email or set up a rule to delete it. So my vote would be for the additional notice.

Event caches have dozens of photos uploaded after the event ? we certainly wouldn?t want a notification for each photo.

How about an option similar to the reply notification of the forums? That is, opt-in and when a photo is added, the user gets one email. The user would get no further notification when pictures are added until they visit the site.

Dan