Geocaching in graveyards...

Team Italian Greyhound

Rural, or big city, graveyards are interesting places. The older the better.

Some people are not going to agree with me but I place graveyards in a category similar to parks. They're nice and quiet. There are many nice plants and trees and interesting sculptures to look at. Lot's of history to learn about and overall a really interesting place to visit.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

The scots have long had a tradition of having picnic in graveyards. It is like a park. I have done a couple in active graveyards. I don't see a problem. If there is a funeral in the area then I would stay away. Be respectful and try to act the way you should. I don't see a problem. There is lots of history and it is always a nice setting.

I did my 2nd cache search today. It was 5 micro caches and then the big find. One of the micro caches was in an old cemetary here in Colorado. Some of the headstones were from the 1800s. I thought this was really neat. It was back in the mountains of Colorado. Neat piece of history.

Just be carefull to respect the property and those that reside there.

Cole Ford

I recently did a nice virtual cache which tied together information from an old cemetery to a modern structure that was named after the person in the cemetery. Way cool.

I've also done 2 caches just in the woods past the landscaped part of the cemetery, and another that takes you past an old family cemetery during a hike through the woods in a state park.

And, on the hiding side, one stage of my Harry Potter multicache will utilize information from the grave of "Nearly Headless Nick" (a cemetery resident named Nicholas).

In other words, this is fine, if done tastefully. I wouldn't be comfortable hunting for a cache container within a cemetery, even an old one way out in the country, but taking me through along the way to finding a container outside the cemetery is great.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I plan to make my grave part of a multi cache. The first coordinates will lead to the grave then engraved on the tombstone will be the final coordinates. I’ll make my kids maintain the cache! Imagine the thoughts of non-cachers when they see my tombstone. They’ll wonder what kind of idiot has a waypoint on his headstone. Only cachers and those who knew me will know what kind of idiot I really was.

Oh I’ll have a goose on it too.

Fathergoose

[This message was edited by Fathergoose on January 14, 2003 at 06:49 PM.]

There are alot of old grave yards in my area. I placed one cache site just on the outside of an old grave yard that was started in the early 1800's. I enjoy looking at the old grave stones, designs, sayings etc. I plan on placing another cache soon in our city cemetery.

FatherGoose what a coooooool idea.

BASSETSLAVE

-----------

If you have the nose of a basset there is no cache that you can not find and you are never lost.

anibasset1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Fathergoose:

I plan to make my grave part of a multi cache. The first coordinates will lead to the grave them engraved on the tombstone will be the final coordinates. I’ll make my kids maintain the cache! Imagine the thoughts of non-cachers when they see my tombstone. They’ll wonder what kind of idiot has a waypoint on his headstone. Only cachers and those who knew me will no what kind of idiot I really was.

Oh I’ll have a goose on it too.

Fathergoose

I'm all for that, it would bring a smile to any cacher I would think!! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by POC 1803:

Yea or Nay?

I'm talking about rural ones, old ones, up in the woods kind, not huge town cemetaries.

Patrick

Team Italian Greyhound

N9PRY

I think it's a great idea if done with consideration and discretion. I made this a virtual: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13554

I've gotten lots of good feedback. It's very urban, very old, very famous, and handicaped accessable. Did I mention senic?

Keep on caching,

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

I went to one on Christmas, not a good idea. Alot of mourners, I felt bad having so much fun. I tried to be quiet and respectful, and will try to avoid graveyards on holidays from now on. I also agree with avoiding any current funerals/burials. As far as boondocky graveyard caches, go for it, the people buried there probably haven't had visitors in a long time, make 'em happy!

elifish

And since I didn't want to be Markwell'd, decided to do a search and found this thread.

This morning, I was looking at a county map to try and find some challenging locations for caches. I discovered MORE than 50 rural graveyards in the county! Ironically, I placed my very first cache within about 100 yards of one, and didn't even know it until the first finder approached it from another direction!

I think some of these are really neat. Some of the headstones of the woodsmen and the masons are really elaborate. I've done many virtuals in cemetaries, and multis that had coordinates based on headstones. One took me to Bonnie's (from Bonnie and Clyde) burial spot to get coords. The next location was in an unkept cemetary not too far away. Very sad to see so many yards in disarray. I guess it is to be expected, though. Many are far away from civilization and probably most of the residents don't have heirs to care for them any more.

Funny thing about Bonnie's cache - I came across a photographer who takes digital photos of headstones and makes webpages and maps of cemeteries. Way cool! That may be an interesting theme for a virtual - go to this graveyard, and post a photo of a headstone...

At anyrate, I agree with most of the above that say to stay respectful.

VF

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

We found a micro cache last weekend that was in a cemetery. The listing didn't state it was in a cemetery, not that it would have mattered, we probably would have gone after it anyway because it was one of only two in the immediate area.

It was a progressive of sorts, go to the coords listed, then off on a bearing for a certain number of feet. Then look around and find a grave which explained the name of the cache.

It turned out the micro cache was hidden underneath a rock that was sitting between two headstones. My wife refused to turn over any rocks to look under them. After I found the cache she expressed her fervent hope that the cache owner had some connection to this grave and hadn't just picked a random gravesite!

Seemed a bit weird, but we did enjoy the cache, mainly because I got the magnetic declination ajustment right on the first try!

This virtual cache take you into a cemetary in the middle of Carlilse, PA. I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't feel right placing an ammo can in the middle of an active cemetary, but I don't see a problem with virtuals, or even a cleverly placed micro.

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

I dont see anything wrong with caches in graveyards, if done carefully I think a physical cache is OK. I have just this weekend checked out a redundant church which stands isolated in the countryside not far from my home. It looks kind of spooky from a distance with its windows all broken, but the cemetery is still well kept with fresh flowers on some graves. There are signs warning vandals to keep away, maybe a little more traffic would be a good thing. I was thinking of placing a micro in the eaves of the Lych-gate.

Recently I hunted a virtual cache of Babe Ruth and his wife's grave. It had snowed recently so there I was tracking around in 6 inches of the stuff probably stepping al over everyone else graves as I was having trouble finding the right place. My wife and dog stayed in the car; there was no way she was getting out! When I finally got there, there were all sorts of trinkets people placed including a TB but I had forgotten to take the cache page so I wasn't sure which of the trinkets was the real TB. There were baseball bats, flowers, little baseball figurines, all sorts of crap laying against the granite. So I took my pictures and left.

In retrospect it was all kind of tacky and disrespectful. I think I'll pass on the next graveyard cache.

Alan

i recently wrote to a cemetery superintendent to ask permission to hide a container. his answer was not only yes, but he could get a granite memorial-style container made for me. i think he's just now dashing out the door to buy a GPS.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

Cool.

Nice to see someone say "yes" to something new like geoCaching.

I do like virtual caches in cemeteries. I get to see so much history. I've been in KC for 5 months, and I've seen more different things than some people who have been here for 25 years. All thanks to virtual caches and a few physical caches.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

i recently wrote to a cemetery superintendent to ask permission to hide a container. his answer was not only yes, but he could get a granite memorial-style container made for me. i think he's just now dashing out the door to buy a GPS....

The superintendent is a moron. I can't believe he gave you that answer in writing. No people who have family buried are going to approve of people placing caches under the daisies growing on top of their mother's grave. The superintendent would have his job about 10 minutes after the people find out what he intends to do. He' a superintendent of a cemetary not a forest preserve.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

No people who have family buried are going to approve of people placing caches under the daisies growing on top of their mother's grave.

That's not very open minded Alan!

But you did give me a good idea... Were I closer to making decisions regarding my passing, at this point in time I might choose burial, push up some daisy's, and insist my gravesite were made a geocache! Perhaps a false top on the grave stone w/cache inside? Perhaps something more "Egyptian", press certain letters of the stone and it slides on it's base revealing a hidden cache...

The thought of that plot of land being put to better use than just my decomposing body is stimulating!

Thanks for the suggestion Alan, I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Randy

(Future owner of the "Randy Memorial" cache!)

While I'm waiting for permission for my regular caches I placed a virtual cache in an old cemetery. The subject of the cache was perhaps the tallest woman who ever lived and her vital statistics (height and weight as listed on the grave marker) are the validation answers. But beyond the curiosity factor it's just a really cool spot. It's at a pre-Civil War church up on a hill in an area that most people would never go if they weren't going there for some other reason (like geocaching). I don't know, it seemed cool to me.

I've always been a bit uncomfortable about PHYSICAL caches in graveyards. It somehow seems a bit disrespectful.

Virtual caches seem fine to me, however. I've even created one in a cemetery.

I really prefer multi-caches where the first waypoint is a virtual inside the cemetery, and the actual container is outside.

I think the key is that the cache is done respectfully.

web-lingbutton.gif

calm down, dude. the cemetery super knows what he's doing. i didn't propose using anybody's actual grave, but a section of thr grounds that is no longer in use.

besides. i imagine it'd got to be boring, laying there all the time. respectful geocachers bring their memories out into the world again and again for a short time they can be with the living. warms the cockles of my heart.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

They are some really neat graveyards out there I have ten or so caches in graveyards these are places that are unique and interesting and sometimes bizarre, but not quite up to virtual status quo but are very unusual just the same now you can do them tastefully, I have one virtual , and the nine others are micros …….JOE

I have done two that have been in graveyards and really have enjoyed them....I too like to look at the old markers and marvel at some of the construction on the old masons and wood crafters tombstones! I have learned alot of history from those! I was brought up to be respectful so I would never trapse over anyones grave or such to find a cache! I think most people have some form of common sense so they would too! Like everyone says, there are so many caches out there, don't do the ones you dont like and don't gripe about it to the ones who do!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

I have placed 10 caches in cemeteries near where I live. A couple of those are virtuals because I didn't feel there was an appropriate, respectful place to hide a cache.

Some folks have made comments about cemetery caches being disrespectful (not necessarily comments here but logs on my pages, etc). I think that if the caches are placed correctly, they are not disrespectful at all. I have a few "rules" I always follow when placing a cemetery cache so as to try and preserve the location just as it was found.

My hope when placing cemetery caches is to let people see new and interesting places. My husband and I both enjoy wandering cemeteries and reading headstones, so I figured it would be fun to combine caching with that!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Too bad closed minds didn't come with closed mouths.

Since we all die, graveyards can only grow. Given long enough all the world will be a graveyard and all the geocaches will be in one anyway.

As for respecting the dead, we would be hard pressed to not go about our live and cross paths with where people died. Especially since people die where they live and they like the same scenic areas now that they did a long time ago.

Here the indians buried the dead where they died. All those nice fields, glades, meadows, cool rock formations, rivers, etc. are also gathering spots for indians of old. They are also where we like to place geocaches.

There is no disrespect where no disrespect is intended.

Wherever you go there you are.

Obviously, there are going to be a variety of opinions on this topic. We recently visited a cache located just outside of an old, very historic cemetery. Due to the location of the cache and houses in the area, you have to park at the entrance of the cemetery and walk through to the other end. The cache is located just outside of the cemetery along a river.

Personally, I think that not only is it acceptable, but almost neccesary. The increased traffic in these areas help to keep vandals and partiers away. Also, keeping with the "Cache In, Trash Out" philosophy, I think that it will help to keep these places a little more intact.

Again, being respectful is paramount. And all things being what they are, ultimately the decision, and responsibility, is yours.