Things Aren't Always What You Think They Are

I'm new to the sport, only about 12 finds to date. I live in CT and I was traveling to Florida for a little vacation so I thought it would be neat to find a travel bug to put in a cache down there. A cache not far from where I live said there was a bug in it so one Monday morning I went to retrieve it. My GPS guided me to a nature trail located next to the New Haven, CT harbor and towards a cherry tree along the trail. As I approched I noticed 5 or 6 middle aged men walking back and forth through a patch of tall reeds near the tree. They all looked like they were searching for something. My first thought was they were part of a Geocaching club and it was just my luck that they were here the same time I was. My only other thought was they could be undercover cops looking in the reeds for a tossed murder weapon since New Haven is a high crime area. After about 15 minutes observing these guys one of the fellows came out of the reeds and walked close to where I was standing. My curiosity got the best of me and I said to him "Are you looking for the same thing I'm looking for?" He replies "That depends." So I say,"Does GPS mean anything to you?" I could tell by his blank stare that he had no idea what I was talking about. Ok so these were not Geocachers in the reeds they must be cops looking for something. At this point I decided to walk back to my car and leave the scene, however this fellow began following me and kept pressing me to tell him more. Now I began to think that he might think I have something to do with what they were looking for in the reeds. He asked me again what I was looking for so I told him I was looking for hidden treasure. He said he could provide me a treasure if I wanted it. All of a sudden the light bulb went off in my head, this was no fellow Geocacher, and this was no cop, this was a gay guy trying to pick me up and I was unknowingly leading him on! I quickly got into my car and drove away leaving the travel bug and a dejected fellow behind. I later found out that the area is a well known pick-up spot for gay men.

You would think they could pick some burnt out old building where nobody goes instead of prime geocaching real estate.

Our local rest area is installing Steel plating in it's bathroom to discourage the use as a known Glory hole spot. This is one of the few rest areas that doesnt' have a geocache in Southern Idaho. I might have to fix that and call the cache. "Glory Bound"

You would think they could pick some burnt out old building where nobody goes instead of prime geocaching real estate.

Our local rest area is installing Steel plating in it's bathroom to discourage the use as a known Glory hole spot. This is one of the few rest areas that doesnt' have a geocache in Southern Idaho. I might have to fix that and call the cache. "Glory Bound"

My brother worked in a local county park.

The metal won't work, they'll cut it. No matter how many times they patched it, it got removed. He was thinking of smearing habernero pepper on the edges of the holes!

You would think they  could pick some burnt out old building where nobody goes instead of prime geocaching real estate.

Our local rest area is installing Steel plating in it's bathroom to discourage the use as a known Glory hole spot.  This is one of the few rest areas that doesnt' have a geocache in Southern Idaho. I might have to fix that and call the cache. "Glory Bound"

My brother worked in a local county park.

The metal won't work, they'll cut it. No matter how many times they patched it, it got removed. He was thinking of smearing habernero pepper on the edges of the holes!

Dang, make sure he puts in a video camera to catch the look of agony and shock on their faces!!!! ;););):D

He was thinking of smearing habernero pepper on the edges of the holes!

Dang, make sure he puts in a video camera to catch the look of agony and shock on their faces!!!! ;););):D

I know people who would consider that a turn on...

I know this cache. Mopar and I did it a little while ago . . . we found the . . . er . . . remnants of an . . . uhm . . . encounter while seeking the cache. Ack! :bad:

It particuarly creeps me out because my 7 y/o son was wandering amongst the reeds while we were looking. I shudder to think of some creep-a-zoid approaching my little kid. ;)

No happy caching and stuff there!!!!

It particuarly creeps me out because my 7 y/o son was wandering amongst the reeds while we were looking. I shudder to think of some creep-a-zoid approaching my little kid. :bad:

Ho, just because someone's gay (and indiscriminate about their sexual partners) does not mean they are pedophiles.

I stopped by this cache last summer while we were visiting my wife's aunt.

Plenty of single guys in the parking lot as we all headed onto the trail. Left the wife in kids on the trail while I went after the cache - good thing too based on what I found there.

After we were done and talking about it while having dinner, my wife's cousin decided to warn us about the area.

Another time, we stopped by another cache (further up 95) in a similar roadside side parking area (park and ride actually) - my wife and I both realized right away that it was a 'working lot', but luckily the kids had no idea.

-PD

Man...I'm glad I read this thread. My girlfriend and I tend to focus on the cache we're going for...not even giving a thought to "surroundings" such as those described above. I think we will definitely be a bit more careful...especially me! :D

Sindigo

Edited by sindigo

First time I ever heard about this sort of thing was when I was in college in Springfield, MO. There was this park about a half mile from the campus where the ROTC Department ran our 2 miles. It was downhil to the park one-half mile, then uphill to the next major intersection, then we would turn around. It was a great two-mile course, even though the last half mile was uphill. But, the first time I mentioned maybe going to that park because I noticed it seemed like a nice place, I was quickly informed only gay men actually went there. The rest of us only ran through once a week.

Now, there is a well-known cache very close to my home in the suburbs of chicago where there are always several cars in the parking lot. . . much discussion regarding all the people who seem to be visiting the cache but never actually leave the parking lot. . . I guess everyone needs a hobby.

- Kayakman9760

First time I ever heard about this sort of thing was when I was in college in Springfield, MO. There was this park about a half mile from the campus where the ROTC Department ran our 2 miles. It was downhil to the park one-half mile, then uphill to the next major intersection, then we would turn around. It was a great two-mile course, even though the last half mile was uphill. But, the first time I mentioned maybe going to that park because I noticed it seemed like a nice place, I was quickly informed only gay men actually went there. The rest of us only ran through once a week.

Now, there is a well-known cache very close to my home in the suburbs of chicago where there are always several cars in the parking lot. . . much discussion regarding all the people who seem to be visiting the cache but never actually leave the parking lot. . . I guess everyone needs a hobby.

- Kayakman9760

One of the caches I planted was also in a "gay forest" :) After the first find people were starting to say that they found traces of... um... encounters and some interesting magazines. Later I found out on various gay forums that is really was the favourite place for "gay ecounters".

I'm still wondering if I should maybe remove the cache and put it somewhere else, but there is no such great location in that park. :)

ThE ThReE TrEeS

It particularly creeps me out because my 7 y/o son was wandering amongst the reeds while we were looking.  I shudder to think of some creep-a-zoid approaching my little kid.  :lol:

Ho, just because someone's gay (and indiscriminate about their sexual partners) does not mean they are pedophiles.

I am neither prejudiced nor ignorant . . . I realize that gay men are not necessarily pedophiles looking to molest little boys.

That being said . . . I would prefer that my little kid doesn't romp around in an area that is frequented by people who are looking looking to engage strangers in sexual activities. Like I said in my previous post . . . we saw evidence of such an encounter. This is indicative of the fact that these picker-uppers are publicly performing acts that I would rather not have my child come upon unawares. I DO NOT want to have to explain THAT to him at this early stage in the game. NO thank you, very much. :D

That's all I have to say about that!

Happy caching and stuff! :D

I had this hapen to me too. Late in 2002, but early in my caching days, I was hunting a cache in the Washington Marina. I think it was called "I don't sail, but I do cache."

I noticed that there were a few men standing around by car at one end of the park near the trailhead. I parked a ways away, and kept my eye on them as I got my gear on. As I started toward the trailhead and them, I noticed the peculiar fashionability of their attire, and immediately jumped to conclusions. Considered turning back, but decided it's my park too, and if I catch a few lying in the middle of the trail, I'll just step over them.

As I got a little closer, something seemed amiss with my initial assessment. Having had a run in or two in my younger wilder days, I was able to sniff out what was wrong. These were cops dressed in half-shirts and short-shorts! This was an undercover sting operation, obviously targeting gay men trolling the park. Well now I felt a whole lot better about venturing into the woods.

These were cops dressed in half-shirts and short-shorts! This was an undercover sting operation, obviously targeting gay men trolling the park. Well now I felt a whole lot better about venturing into the woods.

Heh! On the post!

Hehe! On the avatar!

Happy caching and stuff! <_<

Ya know, I am of two minds on this. . . my initial reaction was 'live and let live.'

I spent a year in Jamaica and no one ever offered to sell me pot because I look and act so straightlaced it never occured to them .

Similiarly, I just don' t think a gay man would come on to me.

Even if they did, I'd just explain I am not interested.

I don't think I've ever heard of a gay man raping a straight man.

From the looks of this one place I've been several times (there are several caches there and I have yet to find them all) they have a target-rich environment without molesting straight guys.

But, it does turn my stomauch now that you mention it, that they might just be doing it in the open. Especially if I had my step-son or my daughter with me and stumbled upon something like that. I have enough trouble explaining cats and dogs doing it.

But if we complained about it it woudl not go away. I do not feel threatened by these people; I feel very sorry for them. And I am not goign to concede any particular patch of forest preserve to them.

Especially if there might be a cache there!

- Kayakman9760

My GPS guided me to a nature trail located next to the New Haven, CT harbor and towards a cherry tree along the trail. As I approched I noticed 5 or 6 middle aged men walking back and forth through a patch of tall reeds near the tree.

Ah yes, the infamous Hobo Haven cache. Let me see, what was the first line of my log for that cache? I remember now:

"I would suggest changing one letter in the cache name."

-WR

A fellow geocacher forwarded me this thread. He felt it was important to have my recent story here also.

I was going to check on the status of a geocache at a park that I spend alot of time at. I go there to do some photography and just wander around. It's also the park that contains the cache that I introduce almost everyone to the sport of geocaching with.

On my way down the park's path I notice two guys come out of the bushes besides me. I ignore them and keep walking. I figured they were having a little frolic in the bushes and I startled them. Nothing to be concerned about. I've seen youngsters do it before, but this was the first pair of men in their 60's I've seen do it before. About 200 feet down the pathway, after a few bends, I leave for my secret hiding spot in the bushes too. Except there's no man waiting for me in the bushes, just a friendly tupperware container that only I, and other high tech geeks know about.

While checking out the contents and putting everything in order, I notice one of the guys walk by on the path. I sink a little lower into the bushes hoping he doesn't see me.

After he passes I finish up and go to a field that I normally visit to take my photographs. Unfortunatly though they had been doing alot of clearing in the area and it was a mess so I walked back to the path and decide to explore deeper into the park. As I'm walking I reach the end of the park only to find one of the men from the bushes sitting on the bench at the very end. He looked like he had been crying quite a bit and was very upset.

I walk to the end of the boardwalk and look over, to which he tells me "Hot Isn't It". And I'm thinking, yes it's a very hot day, but when I turn around, I relize his 14" member is hanging out of his shorts and laying on the bench. "I reply that it's a miserably hot day" and tuck my tail between my legs and run away.

My only regret is I never got a picture. No one believes me and all my lady friends wish I had a picture to proove it. But from that day on. I'm a bit more careful walking around parks all alone in the middle of a weekday when they aren't that busy.

How come lesbians never do this in the parks? :lol:

Because they are sensible about it and just get a hotel room. ;)

I know quite a few gay and bi men and women. 85% of the women are perfectly normal. Only about 45% of the guys are well adjusted and normal.

And now for a totally tasteless joke:

25% of gay men are born that way. The rest are sucked into it.

I don't know how many replies it can get, but I will add mine.

There is an area here in San Diego, in Balboa Park, that is referred to by some as the "Fruit Loop"

There is at least one cache at the end of the loop. luckily it is a virtual.

We had gotten the wrong coords for another mulit though, and ended up in the trees on the road that leads to the loop. I had sat down to watch the squirrels for a bit, and I just could have sworn that I smelled fruit loops cereal...I had to catch myself before I shouted "I smell fruit loops" as I am sure all of the men hanging out near their cars and stuff would not have found it funny...

We also thing there were some illegal substances being dealt in there too, so any visitors, be careful at the fringes of the park, on the other side of the Laurel St. bridge. :lol: