Hiking Socks

Team DEMP

My favorite is Smartwool and I just use the lighter weights during the summer. Campmor sells them and they are about $14. I also use Bridgedale and Rhoner hiking socks. The latter two brands I get from www.sierratradingpost.com for about $6. I often use polypropelene, or Thermax sock liners as well, esp. when I'm going for a longer hikes. They keep the feet dry and reduce the possibility of getting blisters. I buy these from Sierra Trading Post for about 2 bucks.

My 3rd choice is army surplus wool/synth blend socks. About 10 years ago I purchased several pairs for a $2 a pair. They have lasted a long time. I'm just starting to toss them now because they are developing holes. Thorlo socks are also pretty popular, but they cost as much as $20 and I wasn't crazy about the pair owned.

Edited by briansnat

Cotton.

I find that changing socks serveral times on a day long hike is best. If you do that it really dosen't matter much what type of sock you use, well other than nylon dress socks or something.

It is good practice to check your feet a couple of times a day for hot spots, I change socks at that time, and add moleskin as required.

. If you do that it really dosen't matter much what type of sock you use, well other than nylon dress socks or something.

Actually nylon dress socks make an decent first layer if you don't have a synthetic undersock. They don't retain moisture, so it is passed to the outer sock and your feet stay dry. The same way a polypro sock liner works.

Cotton retains moisture, which can lead to damp feet and blisters, making it a poor choice for hiking socks.

. If you do that it really dosen't matter much what type of sock you use, well other than nylon dress socks or something.

Actually nylon dress socks make an decent first layer if you don't have a synthetic undersock. They don't retain moisture, so it is passed to the outer sock and your feet stay dry. The same way a polypro sock liner works.

Cotton retains moisture, which can lead to damp feet and blisters, making it a poor choice for hiking socks.

A nylon first layer always gave me blisters. Cotton is okay as long as you change them a few times a day as I stated. Otherwise Brian is correct.