Which Gps Unit To Buy?

Hello all,

I've been looking for a gps handheld unit to use for hiking and mountain biking. I also want to be able to connect it to a computer I have in my car. I will be using MS Mappoint to do real time tracking of my route which will be displayed on a vga screen mounted to my dash. While doing research I came across this site which sounds like it could be alot of fun. My question is what would be the best unit to get for under $200 which would meet my needs. I was thinking the etrex legend or the Magellan Meridian Gold. Has anyone hooked either of these up to a laptop or something in their car to track their progress with similar software? How did it work?

I vote for the Meridian Gold.

I have Meridian Platinum, which is almost the same as a gold. I have hooked it to my laptop and have done realtime tracking in Delorme TopoUSA and in USA Photomaps. I haven't tried it in Mapsend Topo yet, but I'm sure it can be done. Make sure you get the cig/data cable if you are using it in your car, it will save you a bundle in batteries, just buy it from Best Buy or somewhere that isn't going to charge you the full on 40 something dollars for it.

my 2¢

Oh, I dind't answer how well it worked hooking it to a laptop.

In Delorme, it was great. Spot on.

In USA Photomaps, the sofware will put a dot accoring to a grid. When you go down a road that is running, say, NE/SW, it will plot zig-zag dots down the road. Nothing to do with the GPS, just limitations in the software.