"idiots Guide To Downloading Waypoints"

Ok, I don't get it .. Not yet anyway,...What is the deal with downloading caches to the 60cs? EASY GPS asks for the serial com port.. I have USB on the puter and GPS. I know this topic was covered before, but now that I've gotten used to typing in the coords, I want to be able to download them with all the extras.. What thread was this covered in before and is there an explanation on how to do it that is idiot proof? (*Im an ex Mac user and all these file extentions confuse the !@$! out of me.) Why the differant formats, and why can't I just download them and then load them onto my GPS? :D

With what you have (USB cable):

1) become a Groundspeak member (if you aren't yet)

2) set up pocket queries to email you the waypoints

3) download GSAK (look for the thread around here for details)

4) load the waypoints into GSAK, export to MapSource

5) open file in mapsource, send to 60cs

Note: This is not the Idiot's Guide - that would take more time than I have right now! :D

P.S. EasyMPS works too and with one less step but I have no experience with it though so I dunno.

Edited by ahimsa

Yes...EasyMPS works GREAT! Take the .loc or .gpx file and load it into EasyMPS. This will quickly convert it to Mapsend format and open Mapsend for you. The waypoints will be loaded into Mapsend. Then, simply choose USB connection and send them to the 60CS. The waypoints will be on their way to your 60CS.

Sindigo

For those that equate "steps" with "number of pictures to click on" that might be easier. For the specific case of getting geocaches into Mapsend, EasyMPS is pretty slick and it does have a command line option to let you at least automate that step.

Those of us that prefer even more automation (at the means of, gasp, using a keyboard one time to set it up) GPSBabel can go straight from PQ's or .locs to your unit without pitstopping in Mapsend. It means you have to use serial and not USB, but since we're talking about such a small amount of data, it's not a big deal.

Thanks gang.. I had already downloaded EasyGPS and GSAK. But wasn't sure how to equate downloading waypoints, then transfering them to my unit. Sounds like EasyMPS might be the ticket. I've been entering everything by hand, and that has been ok, but you know how it goes. You always want more...

Ddogxxx

Just another option...

I'm using GSAK for most stuff these days, but without USB support (and my laptop lacking a serial port by default, and GSAK doesn't seem to like my USB<->Serial adapter)... I do it like this:

1) Open Pocket Query (GPX file), or even .LOC file downloaded from geocaching.com, in ExpertGPSExpertGPS (yes, this is a registered program - but I really like the feature set, automatic aerial photo and topo map retrieval, etc, etc). The most recent beta version includes USB support for the 60CS.

2) Click the "Send to GPS" button

Done. The downside to this very simple process is that you wind up with standard waypoint names like GCJ3DY. In just a few days of using the 60CS, I've already grown quite fond of the more meaningful "smart" concatanated names as exported by GSAK (but then I gotta go hook my laptop up to a port replicator and connect via serial port - a big hassle).

If you want to compile a bunch of different GPX and/or LOC files together before sending, you can do this in GSAK (and save the result as a GPX file), directly within ExpertGPS, or even Utopia - depends on which other programs you're using (if any).

That's how I'm doing it today - although I considered the options outlined above, as well (export from GSAK to MapSource, load from there - since that's where you'll load maps from, anyway) - I just went with the programs I was most familiar with, and found a combination that worked. I'm always looking for a better mousetrap though - so keep those suggestions coming. Come on, GSAK - let's get USB support!! :o

Just my .02 cents - YMMV,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

Edited by SnoWake

:P Doesn't it bug you guys that you have to download a bunch of programs to download geocaches into your gps.

Seems to me that the 60cs and the supplied mapsource trip and waypoint manager should be enough.

Especially when Garmin promotes this site. You'd think their techs would have worked out this bug before they released the 60cs.

I've downloaded and deleted so many programs because I get frustrated that I even have to convert files to fit into my new state of the art, super, duper, gps.

Wow was that a rant, I think i feel better. <_<

Well, until Mapsource starts being able to open/import GPX/LOC files, or GSAK adds USB functionality - I think we're stuck with at least a two-step process.

As it turns out - I've already got SEVERAL steps, involving all of the various software components, in order to create CacheMate and HTML indexes of caching data (paperless), visualize caches within M$ Streets and Trips and/or ExpertGPS, etc.

I've actually revised my process outlined above (see - I told you it was a moving target!), based on how much I prefer the friendlier, more meaningful "smart" waypoint names generated by GSAK.

So - from within GSAK (where I've pulled in all the desired GPX files), I simply export (all, or a filtered set) of the waypoints to a Mapsource (.MPS) file. Then open this file in mapsource, and push to the 60CS. Pretty simple two-step process, and no extra software to buy. Yes, this is simply a repeat ahisma's early reply to this thread - sometimes I'm just a little slow catching on. :lol:

Hope this helps,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

I asked for help in another thread, but think my query got lost in the shuffle :lol:

I have a yellow etrex, pc data cable, USB converter, GSAK, and a NON-premium membership at geocaching (can only d/l the .LOC files. ) I also don't have the funds to upgrade anything at this time.

My questions : Is there some way for me to get waypoints out of GSAK into my etrex without having to do it manually? What steps do I take?

I know I can get info from my gps into gsak, did it a few hours ago. But there is no clear explaination anywhere that i can find that will tell me if I have to convert the info before I transfer it into the gps or if I can simply use the 'send waypoints to GPS' feature. If I do have to convert it..what do I convert it to? etc..

I would appreciate any help you can give.

thanks

I have a yellow etrex, pc data cable, USB converter, GSAK, and a NON-premium membership at geocaching (can only d/l the .LOC files. ) I also don't have the funds to upgrade anything at this time.

My questions : Is there some way for me to get waypoints out of GSAK into my etrex without having to do it manually? What steps do I take?

First, thanks for searching the forum before posting.

Second, In GSAK, click on GPS, go to Setup, and make sure that you have selected Garmin, and that the USB box is not checked. (IIRC, the yellow uses only a serial connection). Even if you are using a USB converter, you have to uncheck USB, so that GSAK knows to send the data in a serial format.

Set your user flags, by pressing F7 (to clear all old flags) and then using Search. Set flags by going to User Flags, Set for Filter Only. Then go back to GPS, Send Waypoints.

Hope this helps.