Newbie About To Purchase

Brewza

OK - I've been lurking awhile and have gathered a lot of info. This sport really gets me excited and is soon to be my new hobby. I am an amatuer photographer and growing up in Maine has made me what most would describe as an avid outdoorsman (although I have always thought it was normal to spend most vacations and days off in the north woods). I think this hobby will provide the motivation to get out more and see new sites that I can photograph.

Primarily I will be using the unit for geocashing and on hunting/fishing/hiking trips to the Maine woods. I usually go exploring or hiking from a friends camp on the paper company roads in north eastern Maine or from truck/tent camping spots also on the paper roads in north western Maine. I will be using 95% Topo/woods roads applications and don't anticipate needing any road map applications. I am very good at traditional orienteering with compass and map and have bushwacked up numerous mountains this way. I have always seen the value of GPS but have felt that I didn't need it to get by and the primary reason I'm making the jump is this sport and the motivation I beleive it will provide to get back out taking pictures.

I am willing to pay somewhere in the $200 range and maybe more if I am convinced the extra dough will be worth it in features. I have looked at Magellon and Garmin units and I like the looks of the Magellon better - they just look a little more rugged and I like the larger screen and button layout. I want mapping capabilities and as I stated above would primarily be interested in Topo and woods roads applications.

Based on this I am considering the Sportrak series and the Sportrak Pro seems to be in first place right now, however after reading about the crack problems here yeaterday I am wondering if I should reconsider.

My questions:

Given the above uses would the Sportrak Map fit my needs or am I correct in moving up to the pro, I read soemwhere that 8MB of memory is a good benchmark if planning treks into the woods - is 6 enough?

I guess a lot of my questions revolve around just how much memory is enough, I know more is always better but if I'm not going to be using the roadmaps and will be in Maine 98% of the time how much do I need? Can I clear up memory by getting rid of South American base maps or anything else to free up space?

The Sportrak crack issue bothers me, if I am going to spend this kind of money I want the thing to last. Sportrak users - is this an issue?

This has led me to look at the Meridian series and I understand that the major feature upgrade is the memory cards, is this correct?

Am I giving anything up by going to the lowest Meridian over the higher in it's own line Sportrak pro? (I think compass and altimeter) is this correct and are these features I would use?

Are there any other features on the Meridian that set it apart?

If I am going to be geocashing locally with my wife, ATVing, snowmobiling and planning trips with my buddies to ... say... an old fire tower or plane crash site that involves an extensive trip off the pavement on paper company roads and then hiking then bushwaking to the final destination and probably three days in the woods camping at the truck what unit/software/accessories would you say are nec.?

Do you need to use company specific software or are there area maps available cheaper or free?

I think I will be buying off ebay, possibly used - are there any software versions or equipment recalls etc. with these lines I should be aware of?

Also any initial setup or system clearing issues etc I should be aware of if buying used?

Best prices on new units I have found are actually Wal-mart or Cabelas (which I may be able to discount even further if Dad will let me purchase cabela bucks from his credit card at a discount) Can anyone beat these prices?

Anything else that may be helpful or I have missed?

- I know newbies like myself can beat questions like this to death so I have really tried to do my search and research and form the questions very specifically and any answers or suggestions will be appreciated very much, I know I am long winded and I hope I didn't waste anyones time I'm just very excited about this new hobby and I don't know if I can postpone this purchase much longer with research - I am ready to hit the trail! Will probably be making my decision in the next couple of days and I just wanted to get the expert opinion before making the leap.

Have you considered the Sportrack ATV? It comes with a Topo Map CD and has a North American Highway basemap.

http://www.pboutdoor.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=133

The amount of memory you need is solely dependant on how large of an area you want to load on your unit. You could probably fit all of Maine in topo maps on the ST ATV.

While I am more of a fan of the Garmin units, the Magellan sounds like it will fit your needs. I have a friend who swears by his.

Walmart/Target all have good prices on GPS units. I can usually match or beat their prices, though, should you consider buying online.

These are just my opinions

On the “stress crack” issue with the SporTrack units: The only thing that bothers me about this is it is not right, it is not supposed to happen; yet it does. Magellan will take care of the cracked units but the consumer is out the shipping cost and down time while they are without their unit.

Hearing you say you are into Orienteering, I do not think you will be happy with the compass on any GPSr. The barometer might be fun to play with though.

I totally suggest the meridian series because of the expandable memory. The use of SD cards will make life much easier that fixed memory. Using a SD card reader/writer allows for much faster downloads of map regions, allows you to save multiple regions, and the meridian user group on yahoo is very active, knowledgeable, and the FAQ is full of great information that you will not find in the Magellan book or by calling tech support.

You cannot create more memory for downloads by deleting portions of the base maps, it is my understanding that detailed maps and base maps are kept in different RAM.

I also suggest joining the yahoo user group (it is free) and looking at the FAQ for the Meridians, just to see what kind of support is available from other users. This was a key part in my decision to return my SporTrack Pro and get the Meridian Gold.

Yahoo user group for

the Meridians

PS

What part of Maine are you in? I spent 4 years in Readfield.

As a fellow Mainiac I have the Garmin Vista that I bought on Ebay for less than 250.which normnally retails for 350 or less. Try Ebay, I have bought lots of things on there with no problems whatsoever.Whatever unit you decide to buy am sure you won't be disappointed,its a cool sport or activity that the whole family can enjoy yearround. Nice to see another Maynah in here...... good luck Haffy6 Oh yeah did I mention that I too am an amateur photographer and purchased an Olympus 5050 on Ebay last summer and am enjoying it tremendously.

Thanks for the info. So if I'm reading that correctly it's the Sportrack Map with the Topo software, and you think that the Map has enough memory based on my situation? I'll include your site in the running.

Anyone else?

Well, it's impossible to say if you'll be happy or not. I think, given your price point, that it is a good unit - but it is a starter GPS.

If you're concerned about memory, the Meridian's are the way to go, as was said above. It will at least let you expand as you see fit.

When I was using my Garmin GPSV I found that the 19mb of memory was a huge limitation. However, I only had street maps loaded on it. My iQue has a 256mb SD card in it, and the best thing is that I can always buy another SD card and have more storage.

If you want to get your feet wet, the ST ATV is the way to go. Not only is it a decent GPS, but it comes with the topo maps. It's a really good deal.

Given your uses I'd go with a Pro over a Vista. The 8mb isn't much memory but Main isn't that large of a state and odds are you can fit a lot of the state into 8mb of memory.

All in all it sounds like you have done your reasearch. 8mg should be enough. If in doubt go with the pro with it's larger RAM. I'd stay with the smaller GPS. The sport track is rugged, smaller, and is up to the job you have in mind for it. All that and I'm a Garmin fan but in this case the cards fall the other way.

My first GPSr is a Magellan Sportrak Map. I am VERY pleased with it, it has done all I have wanted to do and loads way more wp's and street level map than I could ever use. The Garmin/Magellan issue will continue for ever (until Garmin gives up.ehehe) Put your list of wants next to the list of features on each unit and pick from there. They all do the same thing with calculating. Saying my Garmin or Magellan put me spot on is only because the coordinates were spot on (THAT DAY).

Never the same will the coordinates be two days in a row. The sats are never the same........I've placed way to many caches to know that for a fact....

Some thoughts to add to your calculus:

1. If you want maps on your GPSr, don't forget the cost of software. Somebody mentioned in the last day or two that they saw MapSend Topo for $45; Amazon has it for [the more usual] $79.

2. A MapSend Topo detail map will take about 6.5 MB for the entire state of Maine.

3. The referenced Meridian FAQs are available without having to sign up for Yahoo membership here.

4. I have a Meridian and *love* the expandable memory, but for what you described for use I think some SporTrack might work just fine (if you can live with the stress crack risk). It appears to me that you did your homework pretty well.

5. If the stress cracks are a deal breaker, then a base Meridian may serve very well if you can get a good price. However, consider the Gold as well...www.shopharmony.com (a generally good source) is currently listing them for $209. Also check compuplus. I'm a little cautious about the base Meridians (the greens and yellow) because they are being phased out and I'm not sure if firmware upgrades will continue to be offered for them.

Edited by embra
1.  If you want maps on your GPSr, don't forget the cost of software.  Somebody mentioned in the last day or two that they saw MapSend Topo for $45; Amazon has it for [the more usual] $79.

This is the link for the $45.95 Topo and a free 16mb memory card

5.  If the stress cracks are a deal breaker, then a base Meridian may serve very well if you can get a good price.  However, consider the Gold as well...www.shopharmony.com (a generally good source) is currently listing them for $209.  Also check compuplus.  I'm a little cautious about the base Meridians (the greens and yellow) because they are being phased out and I'm not sure if firmware upgrades will continue to be offered for them.

Fry's had the Gold in their last add for $179.99, and it did not say refurbished. This is the best price I have seen. You should be able to find it for $199.99 pretty easily if the Fry's add is out of date.

I have a Meridian Gold and I like it a lot. I have not suffered from the all to common "GPS Envy" of the other new (and very cool) Garmin models. My Gold has always worked great, and has never had a problem. My friend has a platinum, and never uses the compass, or other features. The Gold has everything you would need.

I just recently sold my SporTrak Map. I really liked it, but after sending it in to Magellan to get the cracks fixed, I bought the Meridian, and stopped using the SporTrak. I really liked it though. If it didnt develop the cracks, I wouldnt ever have got the Meridian. Overall, either one is great. I would definitely recommend the Gold over the SporTrak though.

You can email me if you have any specific questions also.

Edited by SBPhishy

I started out with a Sportrak Map - I loved it! It held a lot of data - I have the Streets & Destinations software, but not quite as much as I wanted. I live in Southern California & there is a lot more streets, street names, and points of interest than you might think. My unit developed the stress fractures and after having the case replaced once under warranty by Magellan (they threw in a car mount and a fresh set of manuals for free) it developed them again - although I don't understand how - the plastic was supposed to be different. Magellan was awesome about the whole thing - they truly have the best customer service I have ever encountered - and I've encountered a lot! They replaced my unit with the Sportrak Pro for free! I really love the extra memory - it makes it capable of using the new DirectRoute maps and it will hold about half the state of California, which is great for me.

I have two friends who have GPSr - one has the Etrex Legend and a Geko 101(?) and the other has a Lowrance I-Finder - all the units are very nice - I would be happy to have either the Lowrance or the Garmin. The Lowrance might be a unit you should consider, because of it's relatively low price, and it's larger than normal screen, coupled with the fact that it has the memory card feature. Of course, that memory card needs maps, and then you are back up to the $200.00+ range, but with multiple memory cards, you could definitely hold the info for all of Maine and anywhere else you wanted to go. Lowrance maps have a really cool mapping feature that allows you to download map info for corridors of travel - whereas the Streets and Destinations software for Magellan only allows you to choose up to four rectangles of map info to put on your unit. The Lowrance unit is not waterproof, but comes with a waterproof "bag", and is still useable in the bag, so that shouldn't be too big of an issue - it also has replaceable faceplates - of different colors - kind of neat, but truly unneccesary. Ultimately, beside being jealous of a few features of each unit, I am extremely happy with what I ended up with - it's a unit that should last me quite a long time & has great reception and features and is extremely easy to use. If you will be doing any GPSing under tree cover - and knowing Maine, you will, that should be an important thing to look at - I read reviews and articles from the most recent issue of Backpacker magazine just two days ago that said the Sportrack Pro was the best basic model for the money, because of it's reception and memory size, and that the Garmins and the Lowrance had reception problems in heavy tree cover because of a different antenna design.

Check out this review of several different units from PC Magazine:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,758358,00.asp

They seem to be very fair in their reviews.

Sorry if this post is too long - I love geocaching and I get excited about stuff like this! :-)

Edited by TimasaurusRex

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I think I have swung towards the Meridian Gold, the sportrack crack issues kind of bothers me and I like the idea of the memory cards the more that I think about it, I think I would be tempted set up memory cards for different locations that I visit regularly; camp, hunting spot, Dad's house etc. Also the Yahoo group that Cherokeecasher mentioned may have helped push me over, the Sportrack group simply had the user manual posted while the Meridian group had a lot of discussion and facts on numerous features upgrades etc. I work with Nextel phones at my place of work and strongly beleive that they are the best mostly due to a forum like this where folks walk you through serious upgrades, modifications and dare I say... hacks. From what the folks here and others have said I don't think I will be using the compass and other features and therefore the memory and ruggedness are my main considerations. The Sportrack Pro is still in the running but now slightly behind the Meridian Gold and price is going to be the tie breaker.

Oh, the guy at Wal-mart and the Yahoo site mentioned SD cards made by manufacturers other than Magellon, what brands and where do I get them?

Any major brand should work ok; there have been some problems with SanDisk in the past but recent firmware upgrades appear to have taken care of them. Magellan accessories tend to be overpriced.

With a card of at least 64MB, you should be able to have mutiple files on the single card to cover many areas of interest. I would recommend 128MB or higher just because it costs so little more. I lived comfortably with a 64MB card for a long while, but went to a 128 when DirectRoute came out (DR map files run a little larger than Topo, and I ended up wanting maps from each program to be available as desired).

I have both a ST Map and Merigreen.....I use the Merigreen most....Only because of the SD card.

The units are so close to being identical in function and use, its not funny.

No one has mentioned it, (although you yourself stumbled on it in your last post), I really like the SD card NOT because you can store bigger, or more map regions on it. I generally travel within 120mi radius, and the internal memory of EITHER unit can handle that no problem.

I like the card because you can store MANY, MANY seperate files of waypoints, tracks, and routes....

The internal waypoint/track memory of the units can get filled pretty quickly.

I'm not in a real dense cache area, but there are about 1200 caches in a 100 mi radius of me. the internal waypoint memory only holds 500 points, and of those 500, will only hold text descriptions for 200.... So to have ALL those caches waypointed and named, I have to have 6 files of 200 caches, and I am able to do that with the SD card. Granted, it is cumbersome, but it works.

Add to those files, any tracks I wish to save, and waypoint files for locations I also photograph, local trail heads, etc, etc....

Well, I guess my point is, "I love my Merigreen, and SD card....."

So the ST Map just kinda stays in the background as backup, or for a partner to use...

Edited by SB69

I'm going to throw a vote in here for the ST Pro. I like it's size compared to the Meridian series, and the 23 MB of memory is great. I use the Mapsend Topo and have fully 1/3 of California (SoCal) in it, which includes all streets, topo, and POIs, and still have a little memory left. More than enough memory for your neck of the woods. I would definitely recommend the Pro over the Map based on the difference in memory and the fact that the Pro is compatible with DirectRoute software while the Map isn't.

As for the cracks, they are tiny if they occur (many people didn't even realize they had cracks untill very close inspection), Magellan is standing behind them, and I don't believe, based on the way the case and seal is designed and the way the cracks appear, that the waterproofing is compromised. So I think ruling it out on that issue alone would be a mistake.

Although it only holds 500 waypoints, 20 routes, and 2000 trackpoints, you can always save waypoints, tracks, and routes to your PC using Mapsend and transfer them back and forth anyway, so you are in essence unlimited in the overall amount of memory available. Sure, you can't have it all loaded at once in the GPS, but how much do you really need for one camping trip, even an extended one? Too much info sometimes just clutters up menus and makes it more time consuming to find the particulars you want.

Sounds like you've done alot of good research and have a good handle on things. I suggest going down and actually holding the units you are considering in your hand. How do they feel? What's your gut reaction to each? Do that, and then get the best you can afford that "feels" right. All are good, so you really can't make a major blunder.

Edited by 4x4van

Yeah, I forgot to mention when I said earlier that my Sportrak Map had the cracks - I haven't found anyone yet who has the cracks with the Sportrak Pro - I truly believe they used a different plastic for their Pro cases & also, the cracks that I had with the ST Map were so small to almost be unnoticeable. I almost didn't even send it in, they were so small, but I did it, just because it was still under warranty - not for any true concern over the unit being waterprooof or not. For the price, feel and reliability, not to mention all the great features - go with the Pro - you really won't be sorry.

Another petty thing to comment about the MeriGold vs SporTrak Map. The buttons on the MeriGold have a much better, umm... TACTILE SENSITIVITY? <_<

The buttons feel more solid and "clickier" rather than the squooshy SporTrak buttons. While both are just fine, I find myself wishing for the MeriGold buttons, when I use a SporTrak. Also, the button layout on the MeriGold is, in my opinion, more logically laid out. None of this really matters though, as you would get used to anything (even an eTrex button layout, which I personally cant stand! :P)

The SD cards are definitely awesome. Not just because you can switch from auto routing to Topo on the fly, but as was mentioned before, about saving you tracks in segments, etc. etc.

Also, while the size of the SporTrak is definitely a little more comfortable and manageable, the Meridian isn't bad by any means. I wear it in a case on my belt, and it doesn't get in the way. I often forget it's there.

Edited by SBPhishy
Yeah, I forgot to mention when I said earlier that my Sportrak Map had the cracks - I haven't found anyone yet who has the cracks with the Sportrak Pro - I truly believe they used a different plastic for their Pro cases & also, the cracks that I had with the ST Map were so small to almost be unnoticeable.  I almost didn't even send it in, they were so small, but I did it, just because it was still under warranty - not for any true concern over the unit being waterprooof or not.  For the price, feel and reliability, not to mention all the great features - go with the Pro - you really won't be sorry.

There are plenty of STMP's with the cracks. My first GPSR was a pro-marine; it arrived new in the box with the cracks. The case is the same design on all the SporTracks with the exception of the color.

Just FYI