Misunderstanding Explained

I just found this thread in which I was accused of a personal attack on the Canadian caching community, and called a hypocrit also.

I would first of all like to apologize to any member of the Canadian forums, and any other members of the Groundspeak forums if my comments were taken in offense. They were meant as a continuation of the good-natured ribbing that GPSaxophone was giving. I personally have nothing against any Canadians, nor the beautiful country of Canada. I have visited there twice, and greatly enjoyed it. My comments were meant to be in jest, and unfortunately must not have appeared that way to at least one community member. If I offended one person, I am sorry.

As has been said so many times in so many internet forums, it is often hard to find actual meaning in the plain written word, without context to back it up, due to the inability to read inflection and emphasis on written word structure, as can be done in personal communication.

If the OP of the thread I am referencing here could point out the other areas where he feels I have done this before, I am sure I can shed some light on those instances, as well. I'll admit, I have expressed an insulting opinion of certain individuals and their ideas, but have always tried to do so while operating within the forum guidelines. I'll also admit, on occasion, I have fallen outside the guidelines while doing so, and have been adequately punished for it by the moderating team.

Once again, I apologize to any member of the Canadian caching community that may have taken offense at my comments, and assure you they were only in jest. As Saxman said, just ask Halden about our constant international joking and jabbing....it's meant to be all in fun.

I have gotten ribbed and returned in kind with Saxman and Sparky. Having read the the threads in question I feel that Sparky's jokes were simply misunderstood and blown out of porportion.

Canadians love to bash Americans but we sometimes have to have thicker skin when it comes back at us.

Actually, Sparky and Sax can come here to the Outside forum and take all the shots they like. The posting rules are a little relaxed there...

Oh, my.....that's an EVIL place! :D Nobody seems to like me there, wonder why? :D:D:D:D

Well, I did read it, and even responded, to give you guys more fuel for your fire....I know it gets cold up north, so I did you a favor! :D:D:)

It's funny, though, because even before signing in, I knew which suspects I'd encounter there. Not real hard to figure out, even in the short time I've been here at Groundspeak.

It was interesting, though, so thanks for pointing me there. I'll go back from time to time, to see how far my disapproval rating has fallen! :D;):)

Sparky don't appologize for being sparky. If I'm ever on the recieving end of one of your diatribes I'll check for my handy grain of salt and wait for the winds to change. They always do. You don't seem to hold forum grudges.

Oh, I never apologize for being myself. I only apologize for being misunderstood, or for things that I truly should apologize for. If someone misunderstands what I say, I appreciate the opportunity to explain it and apologize for it, if necessary. Such as drowning out someone's TV at night with all the slurping sounds from my pro-gc.com posts! ;):D:):D

I gotta admit, J5, that was funny! :D

Anybody else find it interesting that you have to register to visit that part of the gocaching.com forums. The room of doom where personal grievances are settled, if you know the password. Maybe it should be called the room of doom where our personal grievances are stated far from the prying eyes of those they are about, and safe from their nonsensical responses.

Anybody else find it interesting that you have to register to visit that part of the gocaching.com forums.  The room of doom where personal grievances are settled, if you know the password.  Maybe it should be called the room of doom where our personal grievances are stated far from the prying eyes of those they are about, and safe from their nonsensical responses.

Not actualy part of geocaching.com but yeah I wondered about that.

Let me see, it is suggested that this place may not be friendly to all, so let me give them my e-mail address. I think not.

I hope they care enough about me to talk about me. I don't care enough to register. :D

Anybody else find it interesting that you have to register to visit that part of the gocaching.com forums.  The room of doom where personal grievances are settled, if you know the password.  Maybe it should be called the room of doom where our personal grievances are stated far from the prying eyes of those they are about, and safe from their nonsensical responses.

Not actualy part of geocaching.com but yeah I wondered about that.

Let me see, it is suggested that this place may not be friendly to all, so let me give them my e-mail address. I think not.

I hope they care enough about me to talk about me. I don't care enough to register. :D

Well, I take pride in being talked about behind my back by someone who can't say it to my face. It just means I'm famous....or infamous......whichever! :D

Actually, Sparky and Sax can come here to the Outside forum and take all the shots they like.  The posting rules are a little relaxed there...

A fascinating place in an often articulate, angsty sort of way.

edited because deciding how to add "but not always" and not have it misinterpreted was causing me angst.

Edited by carleenp

edited because deciding how to add "but not always" and not have it misinterpreted was causing me angst.

It serves a purpose and keeps the other forums relatively civil. Instead of deleting posts or locking entire threads, any fights or attacks that break out are simply split from the original topic and moved Outside. Likewise, if people start to stray off topic or get too agitated, they are told by a moderator to take it Outside. So far it has worked really well and made moderating the forums a piece of cake. Since the BCGA adopted a forum moderation policy similar to, if not more stringent than, the GC forums we've noticed a big decrease in forum traffic on the BCGA and an increase in traffic at The Sandbox. I guess that shows that, despite what they say, people do like to mix it up a bit. :D

Edited by Gorak

It serves a purpose and keeps the other forums relatively civil. Instead of deleting posts or locking entire threads, any fights or attacks that break out are simply split from the original topic and moved Outside. Likewise, if people start to stray off topic or get too agitated, they are told by a moderator to take it Outside. So far it has worked really well and made moderating the forums a piece of cake. Since the BCGA adopted a forum moderation policy similar to, if not more stringent than, the GC forums we've noticed a big decrease in forum traffic on the BCGA and an increase in traffic at The Sandbox. I guess that shows that, despite what they say, people do like to mix it up a bit. :)

It's really a pretty good idea. I read quite a few of the threads in "The Sandbox", and they were pretty entertaining....and reminded me of how much I still don't miss J5! ;):D:D:D:D

EDIT: Ok, well, I'm just as guilty, but let's get any comments here back on the original topic, please. If you want to discuss the "Sandbox", please take it "Outside", so to speak! :D

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Well, I think this thread has served it's purpose, and I thank each of you who have given your opinions to the topic. Now, it's time to move on and insult yet another country, so I'm closing this thread.

....hmmmm...who's next? Let's see, I've done Canada, the UK, Mexico, Sweden......ahhh, I've got it! Why insult a country, when you can insult an entire continent? Wonder if anyone's awake in Australia at this hour? :D