Time Zone

BalkanSabranje

The disk check and other diagnostics took longer than expected. But as of 9:45 pm (Pacific time) the servers are up and running normally.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Elias

Dear GC admins,

please consider that not all of your customers (paying or not) are leaving on the west coast. Getting information as the above ("9:45 pm PST") is quite frustrating if you don't know (or at least constantly have to) recalculate this into "normal" time standards (e.g. when does DST start over there?).

Therefore, please think about using UTC time format/zone at least additionally.

Thanks,

BalkanSabranje

(@ 2007 UTC)

Dear GC admins,

please consider that not all of your customers (paying or not) are leaving on the west coast. Getting information as the above ("9:45 pm PST") is quite frustrating if you don't know (or at least constantly have to) recalculate this into "normal" time standards (e.g. when does DST start over there?).

Therefore, please think about using UTC time format/zone at least additionally.

Thanks,

BalkanSabranje

(@ 2007 UTC)

Unless it was just used additionally, I think it would cause confusion for more people than it would help.

Agreed. I have no idea what's the time difference between my time and PST. Only that I'm in the future. :P But I know my difference to UTC, and I think it's all-round education.

Edit: 'Agreed' pointing to the original post in the thread.

Edited by Divine
and I think it's all-round education.

Sorry - don't have a clue how to use UTC - Universal Time C???

I don't particularly like having to calculate the PST but their machine is in that zone so that's what they use. If in doubt - look at the time on your forum post - it's PST. You can use that to calculate the difference.

southdeltan

I don't particularly like having to calculate the PST but their machine is in that zone so that's what they use. If in doubt - look at the time on your forum post - it's PST. You can use that to calculate the difference.

southdeltan

UTC = Universal Time Coordinated, formerly known as GMT or Greenwich Time (if in doubt: look it up on your GPSr). :D

Besides that, I don't want to post something just to be able to calculate the difference... :P

BS

Looking at the time of the post may help.

I can't figure it out, but the posting time seems to be an hour behind the time indicated by the dozen or so clocks I have in my house.

EDIT: it was 3:28 when I typed the above, not 2:28. Have I set something wrong?

Edited by tlg
Click "My Controls" in the menu, then "Board Settings" - Make sure Daylight Savings Time is turned on.

Thanks Jeremy! Here I was thinking I was trapped in some weird time warpy thingy and all it was, was an unchecked box.

southdeltan

UTC = Universal Time Coordinated, formerly known as GMT or Greenwich Time (if in doubt: look it up on your GPSr). :(

Besides that, I don't want to post something just to be able to calculate the difference... :huh:

BS

I thought UTC stood for Universal Time CODE

Why would I care what time it is in Greenwich? Ideally, each user could have the time displayed in the own location. Oh wait, that's how it is done now... :huh:

The original poster in the thread wishes that the time zone in notifications given by the administration would be at least additionally UTC time. It doesn't have to have anything to do with the time displayed in the forum posts. You wouldn't have to care at all what time it is in Greenwich, even if someone else might. :(

Well sure, if I lived there I would probably care too. However, everyone knows this site is based on the west coast of the US. Just do the math.

Well, as Divine tried to point out already, it's not easily understandable why dozens of thousands of users outside the US should do mathematical calculations just because the admins are not willing to give the standard time at least as additional info (that the can easily read off their GPSrs).

Got me now?

BS

Well sure, if I lived there I would probably care too. However, everyone knows this site is based on the west coast of the US. Just do the math.

Well, as Divine tried to point out already, it's not easily understandable why dozens of thousands of users outside the US should do mathematical calculations just because the admins are not willing to give the standard time at least as additional info (that the can easily read off their GPSrs).

Got me now?

BS

How about TV...All times are listed on the east and west coast. The MILLIONS of viewers living in the mountain states have to add or subtract an hour or so from the channel guide.

How about TV...All times are listed on the east and west coast.

Try again: no west or east coast time zones (US of America, I suppose??) are listed here. :D

Ever considered there could be more to Geocaching than the States?

BS

Of course there is, but without the US there would be no Geocaching. Remember what country launched all those satellites you're using?

How about TV...All times are listed on the east and west coast. The MILLIONS of viewers living in the mountain states have to add or subtract an hour or so from the channel guide.

Bad analogy. I doubt hardly any US tv channel has even close to 25 % of their viewers abroad. And most of the the viewers of those ones that might have, have their times listed on their channel guides with their time. I get my CNN, BBC, (French) TV5 and Deutsche Welle listed with my time. Not with the time of their broadcasting centers, although everyone knows where their antennas are based. :D

just because the admins are not willing to give the standard time at least as additional info (that the can easily read off their GPSrs).

Got me now?

BS

Until an admin comes and says they are "unwilling" to do this, I think that's an overstatement.

More likely, near midnight, after a frustrating recovery, they post the time they see on the clock and don't think about doing the math to get UTC. (They probably don't have their GPS on anyway, do they?)

But I understand why people far away from the Pacific Time Zone would like to know UTC.

Maybe someone could buy Jeremy a clock that he could put in the server room that would stay on UTC? :D

...just because the admins are not willing to give the standard time at least as additional info (that the can easily read off their GPSrs).

Got me now?

You assume far too much.

We're not unwilling, but it isn't exactly a huge priority either. At least we don't give some arbitary time like 4:30, and provide PST so, if you really want to know the reference, you can do the basic math.

Accordingly, the post had its own timestamp. As a logged in user you can choose your own timezone and the time will be for your location. Assuming I posted a message around the same time as the problem, you could sort out what I'm saying. The posted time is the most accurate, since the system auto-entered a timestamp.

This is a west coast site, and 94% of the users who use it are in the United States. Most are well aware of the time difference so it would make far less sense to convert to UTC for the majority of the users.

In the future, I'll try to add an additional UTC time so you don't have to do the math. However, if I'm submitting a rush post I may not remember to do so. If this is the case, please forgive my stupid human flaws.

. At least we don't give some arbitary time like 4:30, and provide PST so, if you really want to know the reference, you can do the basic math.

Hoping I'm not picking a nit, but is the time really PST? Aren't you on PDT now?

(And same question for the time the PQ's are listed as running.)

without the US there would be no Geocaching. Remember what country launched all those satellites you're using?

Yup, I too enjoy the idea that I just might be using your tax money right when I switch my GPSr on. :D But seriously, there would be no geocaching without Taiwan. That's where my real respects goes. :D

Apropos, AFAIK geocaching as an activity wasn't originally even invented in the US. :D

it would make far less sense to convert to UTC for the majority of the users

To be precise, no one asked for that. It was about:

In the future, I'll try to add an additional UTC time so you don't have to do the math.

Thank you! ;)