Cache One Day Record

Zatoichi

I would be interested in any information anyone can provide in reference to what the one-day cache record might be and who has this record. I'm interested in going nuts one weekend and attempting to break the record... maybe. Any assistance anyne can provide would be appreciated. Feel free to reply to CHays911@aol.com Thanks again...

20 or 30 caches is an average day for CCCooperAgency. Personal best for that account is more than 100 in a day.

I do not recall seeing any posts claiming to top the 24 hour record of 238, as detailed in this post and the discussions which followed it.

Both of the numbers cited above are a direct result of the cache density in Nashville, a/k/a Cacheville. Just for the heck of it, I may try to top 100 there when attending Geo-Woodstock 2 this summer. But by and large, I get more of a kick out of finding 10 terrain 3 caches in a day. Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck beating the record.

For the record, no cache machine that I've participated in broke 100 in a day. Some folks hit 68 at the Yakima Cache Machine, 75 in Victoria, and 83 in Spokane.

The first Cache Machine event, in Bremerton, saw us hit only 37, and the most recent event, in Vancouver, only gave us 39. The snowy conditions in SnOlympia gave some of us an amazing 58.

238 in 24 hours is an amazing accomplishment. That's in a whole different league.

Two geocachers have been chosen to go for the GOLD in an attempt to break the record of 238 caches in a straight 24 hours after the Second Annual Geo-Woodstock event . These two cachers have not been informed of our pick to invite them on to the island, and when they are asked they will be requested to keep it a secrete until after the event. Stay Tuned …………….. JOE

Second Annual Geo-Woodstock

If you would like to come to Nashville we can also fix you up with doing two caches that will take you the whole week, different strokes for different folks we got it all in Cacheville come and give it a gooooooooo

For the record, no cache machine that I've participated in broke 100 in a day. Some folks hit 68 at the Yakima Cache Machine, 75 in Victoria, and 83 in Spokane.

The first Cache Machine event, in Bremerton, saw us hit only 37, and the most recent event, in Vancouver, only gave us 39. The snowy conditions in SnOlympia gave some of us an amazing 58.

238 in 24 hours is an amazing accomplishment. That's in a whole different league.

Aren't we getting a hundred a day in Portland???? :o

Personal best by myself EasterSunday 30 found 5 bypassed because to many muggles 9 Hrs 20 mins. Thats from the time I logged the first one to the time I logged the last. Not to bad for an old man ;) l.

Its a lot easier to log a large amount of caches nowdays then it was in the beginning.

And they were all uphill both ways :D

Then again, you are the king of DNF's :D

Went to Fremont Ca yesterday and got our first cache about 7:00 am. By 9:00pm we had 40 caches and went home tired but probably could have done fifty if we hadn't spent so long at a few of them. This place is packed with caches, we rarely went further than a quarter to half mile between caches. Our previous best was 28.

OK, let's figure this out. 238 cache finds in 24 hours. That's nearly 10 an hour, or one every 6 minutes. This is a hoax, my friends!

Not impossible if you consider that many Nashville caches are 1/1's that often don't require stepping more than 10 feet from the car, and are often spaced very close together (in some places, a single parking lot will have 3 or 4). I was a little skeptical until I went to Nashville myself and found over 40 in about 5 hours, including 9 in a 1 hour period. And I didn't even know the area.

OK, let's figure this out.  238 cache finds in 24 hours.  That's nearly 10 an hour, or one every 6 minutes.  This is a hoax, my friends!

I would be careful before making such accusations without being able to substantiate them with facts, such as personal inspection of the logbooks for the caches claimed.

Two years ago, there were forum topics saying that 30 caches in a day "had to be a hoax." See my post in the "favorite topics from the past" thread where I talked about what I learned from reading that.

Edited by The Leprechauns
Math tells me that you have a find total of 666

Interesting number.  I wonder if that has any significance.

I noticed it after I submitted the log for my 666th find, '5 Mile Hike.' I went back in to edit the log to point out that nothing seemed particularly evil about the find, but it pushed me over the 4icon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gif character limit, so I bailed out.

(When I don't go caching for a long time, my logs tend to veer towards the peculiar. Or maybe they just always do that.)

Edited by travisl

OK, folks, I appreciate the comments. When I started researching this crazy idea, I had no idea what the record was... and now that the gauntlet has been thrown down...

I want to wish the, can I mention your name(s) yet? Well, the teams that are going for the record this coming Saturday, best of luck. If anyone can break the record I know you guys can.

So that others will know what I'm talking about, it's establishing criteria for the 24 hour record. Two schools of thought 1) UNLIMITED... That is no limit on the number of people/teams searching. Including pre-scouting of the caches. As long asd each team member signs the log all should be allowed. And 2) SOLO... One cacher, one car, no pre-scouting, no assistance.

Personally I believe the group of teams going out this weekend in Jacksonville will surpass the record of 254. As for me, I believe that I will try the solo category.

For the record, when FullCt set the 238 bar.

I drove the suburban, Scoot the Frog manned (womanned?) the laptop and navigated, Angelflye and FullCt hunted. We started at Midnight, a driving rainstorm started at 4 AM, at noon we stopped at Outback on West End Avenue to watch the Titans-Colts game with r0b. At 2:45 we started hunting again, at 10:00 PM we decided that everyone was tired and that we had already doubled the current record. FullCt and Angelflye had not prescouted any of the caches. I had been to 117 of them before. Although, I had been to over one hundred of the caches I did not assist in searching or give up the locations. After ten minutes searching a location I would have them turn their backs and I would check to see if the cache was there, if so I let them continue searching, if not we moved on. If I had been there before I drove to the closest parking spot that I was aware of, if not Scoot the Frog navigated us to what should be the closest spot based on our maps. We passed over some caches because of muggles, no caches were compromised because of our run. That said we focused on urban caches through the night to minimize contact with the locals. Our route was planned to put us in parks during the daytime, because many were closed overnight. Thirty one of the caches on our run were virtuals, it was up to FullCt and Angelflye to get the answers. We never separated during the run. We carried food and drinks in the car, bathroom breaks were taken at cache locations or while refueling. We used a tank and a half of gas.

This record is very beatable, but we made a point to do it as legitimately as possible. One driver, one car, two searchers and a navigator all on one calendar day.

Much sleep was enjoyed on Monday.

Hi,

I got 4 on my first day of geocaching, but to be fair, that was in the Adirondacks in winter, with 2+ feet of snow on the ground, and it snowed about 6 inches that day. I liked going for multiples, and have done them since, but find 50+ to be a little like peak-baggers racing up the 46r's, fun if competition is your thing, but it seems to get away from the point (at least for me)...I like walking through the woods, taking my time, chasing down animal tracks, and stopping to smoke a backwoods when I feel like it...I don't think that cache-bagging in a Nashville parking lot would work for me...although to be fair, I've never tried it. :)

ciao

nfa

When reading about how marathoners race from cache to cache, sprint from car to cache, and most of the caches sought are urban micros, I couldn't help but think...

how many of these caches subsequently get muggled???

I can think of no better way of drawing unwanted attention to a cache than by having cachers sprinting to it! :)

how many of these caches subsequently get muggled???

I can think of no better way of drawing unwanted attention to a cache than by having cachers sprinting to it! :)

To answer your question, if by "subsequently" you mean "no intervening finders before mugglage takes place": of the 360 cache machine finds I mentioned above...

Three, if I've counted correctly.

Most of them (with the exception of Spokane) are on my watch list. My gut tells me this isn't out of line with the normal mugglage rate of caches.

My gut also tells me I shouldn't have eaten so much queso cheese tonight.

I would be interested in any information anyone can provide in reference to what the one-day cache record might be and who has this record. I'm interested in going nuts one weekend and attempting to break the record... maybe. Any assistance anyne can provide would be appreciated. Feel free to reply to CHays911@aol.com Thanks again...

Hey Zatoichi, how come you recently logged a lot of found caches in Southeast Georgia but didn't sign the actual cache logs?

Several of the area cachers have deleted your logs because we don't think you actually visited the caches.

Can you explain why you did this?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6e-403172964165

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...89-ca1a81d09230

We are two geocaching people (been caching for five months) pushing 60 with bad joints and aches everywhere. We just found 14 in SW Fayetteville, NC and thought we were really something. One of the caches took us an hour and four ticks, another 2 took 30 minutes each. We only had four of them that were fast finds and walked about four miles total. We had a sit down lunch and tarried at a breadstore cache eating bread samples for a half hour. We drove an hour to Fayetteville, got our first cache at 7:45 and the last at 4:25 (I know that because we were just getting ready to be thrown out of a park that we took a wrong trail) and then drove home. We had a great day. We really like the caches with the long hikes to memorable places better but this was a lot of fun. So fourteen is our best and I don't think I can get Ms horsegeeks to go to Nashville. We are trying (even though numbers don't mean anything) to get our 300th at an event in two weeks. This is the greatest hobby we have ever had and enjoy it very much.

Edited by horsegeeks