Gravestones, Geocachers And Genealogy

Someone else posted a topic about gravestones and it got me to thinking... I've been doing some genealogical work, and was wondering if I could enlist the help of a couple cachers in getting pictures of some tombstones (and even better, GPS coordinates!). Here's the three I'm most interested in:

* John Norton, buried in the old cemetery in Durham, CT. Apparently the tombstone reads: "NORTON, John d Dec 24 1764 79 yrs."

* Charles Eliot Norton, buried in Mount Auburn cemetery, Cambridge, MA. He died October 21, 1908 and would probably be listed in any guidebook of the cemetery.

* This one's a bit of a stretch, but I'm looking for any marker for William Norton in Cornhill, London, Middlesex, England. This one goes a bit further back, to October 19, 1622 (!). A long shot, but I thought I'd mention it.

$20 to the first person who can get me both the coordinates and a photo of each of these.

Have you tried googling them? Searching by county or cemetery name or the individual's name? I have 27 cemetery caches placed and some counties here(Indiana) have comlplete stone transcriptions on their website. One even has a photo ink, so there is a photo available of every one of the hundreds of stones in the cemetery! Just a thought.

I have traced my family back to 1672 so far and have found MANY interesting sites online while doing this research.

Let me look in my links and see if I can find a site for you. There was a site I had found in the past where people offer to go take pictures of graves. People all over the country have volunteered to do it. All you need to do is email the person in the area with the info. And maybe slip them 5 bucks via paypal for their time.

I had a woman take a picture from a cemetery in Virginia for me this way.

Let me look around some more and see if I can find the link!

Thanks for the great info, guys! I'll have to check out some of those sites... in the first two listed I'm confident of the location of the grave, I'm mostly interested in the photo and coordinates. No idea if there's any sort of marker for the one in England.

I've actually managed to trace my family tree back fairly confidently to 1346, and not quite so confidently back to 1045. The internet is an amazing resource... I've even found a will from one of my ancestors dating to 1565!

[Edit:] Son of a gun! I just checked FindAGrave.com and found a number of graves of people I believe to be ancestors that were missing holes in my chart, not to mention some definites! And a couple even had photos, although I wish they were bigger/more legible. This is a GREAT resource! Thanks so much!

Here's the tombtone for John Norton in CT:

8180295_1071409812.jpg

Edited by Indiana Cojones