New Uk Record - Most In A Day!!

Just days after Volvo Man zoomed to the dizzy heights of 33 (+1 locationless) in a day on 10th April 2004.....

SPARTICUS

fights his way to

35 !!!

on 23rd April 2004 in a 20 hour marathon of madness around the Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire area.

Many congratulations!! :D:D:D:D

Looks like it will be a very interesting summer for the stats fans! :D

Cheers!

Seasider

P.S. I am not a numbers man! :D

Well done Sparticus, and I see you have not done the new one in your backyard yet. Are you resting after your spree?

Thanks Adrian. Had the cache nearby been placed on the 23rd and not the 24th may then perhaps it would have been 36 and not 35. I'm waiting till my sister comes to visit so we can do one nearby that I haven't completed. Thanks to Lest 44 for placing another one. Time for me to place some more I think!!

And NO, I'm not a numbers man usually. Just wanted to see if it could be done. And it can, 'just'.

Ah well, It was fun while it lasted

Congratulations. I noticed your stats the other day, but I'm guessing you hadn't finished entering all your logs at that time, it only showed 29.

ok, so I'm going to try to keep hold of my pride, My spree took 14 hours, 05:45 to 19:45 (2.35/hour) I also had 2 DNFs on caches I really should have bypassed and gone for several easier ones I have since found.

Watch out for me in the cambridge area soon!

And By the way, can anybody tell me what are and who holds the following UK records:

Most In Central London In 24hrs

Most In A Week (Including London)

Most In a Week (Not Including London)

Most In a Month

I'm guessing My spree took the most in 12 hours outside London.

Hey Hey, if I can't keep hold of the records, I'm going to make up new ones :D

So who's up for attempting the "Most in a day whilst hopping on one leg, waving a union jack and hollering "I'm a teapot""? (video evidence & psychiatric report required)

In terms of 24-hour non-London records I am sure that someone will eventually blow 35 away! (No disrespect meant to Sparticus!) Neil and I cached from 7:40am until 9:07pm (13 hours 27 minutes), which included at least an hour of downtime with The Hornet and Lost in Space, and we found 25 plus 3 DNFs. Had we wanted to mush on I am sure we could have found another 15-20 over the next 10.5 hours. A reasonably cache-dense area plus good pre-planning plus finding the caches quickly should lead to high numbers.

I believe the current London 24-hour record is 43, and that the record is ripe for the taking! I think 80-90 are possible in 24 hours. Good luck Sparticus!!

OzGuff

The trouble with this sport, is that once you break a record, or attempt to, you can never do it again in that area. I think this is the only sport where this is the case.

For instance, with the knowledge I now have, (even if I was able to "forget" the cache hiding places), I could easily set the bar at 50 in a day outside London. I wasted a lot of time on my Record day. Had I known it was even a record I was breaking, I would have kept going into the night.

If I could go back and do it again, I would start out about an hour away from where I originally did, with a 10 cache series that can be done in 90 minutes if done in the early morning on a Sunday, Then I would blast down the motorway for a quick cluster of 5 that can be done in an hour, about 30 minutes drive away, Then on to the two chain caches that I did on my spree, but this time armed with a mountain bike, this would have my finds at 33 by about 1pm at the latest. That leaves me the afternoon to zip round the rest of the caches I did that day, but missing out Doom Slayer's difficult to find cache near his home.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm almost tempted to create a sockpuppet to go for it again, but it would be an empty victory. Perhaps I could advise a protege, but that would only set the bar higher for me to have another go.

Here's to the only sport in the world where you only have one shot at the record in a particular area! Perhaps Sparticus would like to take up the challenge of doing my route in a day (daylight hours only)

I believe the current London 24-hour record is 43, and that the record is ripe for the taking! I think 80-90 are possible in 24 hours. Good luck Sparticus!!

I meant to say, "Good luck Sparticus and/or Volvo Man!" Of course, my luck goes out to all non-numbers cachers who may attempt any sort of non-official record!!!

If we can sort the list of records out I will do a "Record web page" and who holds it if thats what people want i.e

Most In Central London In 24hrs (i belive its OzGuff 43)

Most in 24 hrs outside london (sparticus 35)

Most In A Week ( ?? is it seasider)

Most In a Month ( ?? is it seasider)

The trouble with this sport, is that once you break a record, or attempt to, you can never do it again in that area. I think this is the only sport where this is the case.

This is indeed the case. I once held the record before (unintentionally) when I cached in and around hampshire for a couple of days. I said I wouldn't do it again, but then along came Seasider and laid down the gauntlet.

Now, I really am not a numbers man, i just wanted johns record back and didn't realise volvo man already had it from him.

You're welcome to it back sometime as I have to travel some distance now to bag a selection of caches. As you say, the more caches you do, the more difficult it becomes to get a most finds in a day. B)

Good luck to the next person to hold the record. I won't be snatching it back again. B):(:D

If we can sort the list of records out I will do a "Record web page" and who holds it if thats what people want i.e

Most In Central London In 24hrs (i belive its OzGuff 43)

Most in 24 hrs outside london (sparticus 35)

Most In A Week ( ?? is it seasider)

Most In a Month ( ?? is it seasider)

Currently...

Most in London in a day- 43 Ozguff

Most outside London in a day- 35 Sparticus

Most in a Week - 102 Seasider

Most in a Month - 216 Volvo Man

Quickest Hundred - 5 days Seasider

Any others?!

Cheers!

Seasider

I would like to add the most in 12 hours to that (Outside London), which I believe stands with me at 29 + 1 locationless

Oh, and by the way, for those who aren't keen on locationless, fair enough, each to his own, but you try finding a Mermaid in Berkshire!

Edited by Volvo Man

And of course, no one is ever playing on a level playing field.

35 caches in London isn't that much of a big deal these days when there are so many cache'n'grabs available.

We had it hard in my day. :mad:

I can remember doing 19 in London in a day a couple of years ago. Not that impressive by "modern" standards but having already done the Sherlock series, that was all the caches there were in London at that time. And there wasn't a congestion charge so the streets were chocked. And it was the middle of summer when the place was hooching with tourists. And it was hot as hell. And when we were finished, we had to lick road clean wi'tongue.

You young 'uns don't know you're born. :(:mad:

OK,

I would like to put it to you all, what constitutes a London Cache?

Are we going to say Greater London County, Central London or, Within the M25?

I personally propose we set it at an 8 Mile Radius from "Eye On London" Webcam cache GCC448

What say you all?

By my reckoning, and subject to additions/removals, that give 119 potential caches for the London Record Seekers (which I believe means that Seasider would still have a chance at taking OzGuffs record.)

And of course, no one is ever playing on a level playing field.

35 caches in London isn't that much of a big deal these days when there are so many cache'n'grabs available.

We had it hard in my day. :mad:

This is why the most in a day is Split Inside/Outside of London, Oz Guff's shot also takes the most in 12 hours in London, and the most in the dark in London, Quite impressive is that as far as I know, he did it all on foot. After Midnight, he wouldn't have been able to use the underground either.

A distance radius around any point is a little to arbitory and if you were to do it, then measure from Charing Cross Station which is (if my memory serves me correctly) where london distances are measured from/to.

Much better to say if the cache falls within the boundaries of a London borough, then it counts. As borough boundaries don't have a habit of moving i should be consistant for quite some time. It then also takes into account the not circular nature of London's sprawl.

- Neil.

Well, we were using Greater London as defined by GUK - which currently lists 138 caches. :(

Caches in Greater London

Not sure about keeping records for less than 24 hours as where do you stop?! :mad:

My 25 in a day back in December was done dawn to dusk - 7.00am to 4.30pm - 9.5 hours. So I claim the record for the most in 9.5 hours and the quickest 25 outside London!! :mad:

Cheers!

Seasider

[EDIT:- to insert weblink]

Edited by Seasider
Well, we were using Greater London as defined by GUK - which currently lists 138 caches. :o

Caches in Greater London

Not sure about keeping records for less than 24 hours as where do you stop?! :P

My 25 in a day back in December was done dawn to dusk - 7.00am to 4.30pm - 9.5 hours. So I claim the record for the most in 9.5 hours and the quickest 25 outside London!! :P

Cheers!

Seasider

there are several caches on that list thast are officially in Essex. Romford is definately in Essex, along with several other small towns in the surrounding area.

I propose that the boundary should be the old North and south circular roads, this is a nice fixed boundary. anything outside that but inside the M25 can be considered as an Extra challenge above normal caches, due to heavy traffic.

Well, we were using Greater London as defined by GUK - which currently lists 138 caches.  :P

Caches in Greater London

Not sure about keeping records for less than 24 hours as where do you stop?!  :o

My 25 in a day back in December was done dawn to dusk - 7.00am to 4.30pm - 9.5 hours.  So I claim the record for the most in 9.5 hours and the quickest 25 outside London!!  :D

Cheers!

Seasider

there are several caches on that list thast are officially in Essex. Romford is definately in Essex, along with several other small towns in the surrounding area.

I propose that the boundary should be the old North and south circular roads, this is a nice fixed boundary. anything outside that but inside the M25 can be considered as an Extra challenge above normal caches, due to heavy traffic.

What about caches on the central reservation? :P

Sue & Bernie claim the inverse prize!

We cycled 50 miles to visit 2 caches in Norfolk (Abbie Cache GCFE45 and Wellington Boot GCDBC7) on 27 May 04.

We all do this geo-geeking thing in different ways and enjoy doing so. I do find myself getting a little lathered up when one section of the community hogs all the forum time and space banging on about just one small area of interest - the numbers game!

Guys! Moderate your burbelling please, there are others parameters in the world, please contain yourself and use the forums to say something of value or interest to the community as a whole. We are not all interested in hearing how many caches you can each spot while remaining firmly seated in a comfy armchair.

Sorry! been on the beer this pm, therefore cannot resist a sitting target...

Please excuse spelling and ranting... I just had to speak out for the silent majority...

congratrulations, you have set the most miles cycled in a day caching record :o

I don't think it's fair to say that those of us interested in numbers are taking up an inordinate ammount of forum space, of the first page of the forums, only three topics are concerned with the numbers game, one of which is congratulating a fellow cacher on reaching their first 100, which I beleive is a very nice thing to do to acknowledge someones achievement, whether or not they're in it for the numbers. Another is about the cacher of the month table, which is entered by over 40 cachers each month, who all enjoy a bit of friendly competition.

Me, I'm in it for the fitness improvement, The numbers give me a goal to push for. The first time I broke the 24 hr record, I had trouble climbing hills and had to stop regularly on the climb. When I re-broke it this week, I had no trouble with hills at all, and still had enough energy left to do another 7 caches afterwards, all in Epping forrest, which involves quite a bit of climbing. This just shows me how much fitter I am now than I was 4 months ago when a walk to the post box was daunting.

You're quite right, everybody is entitled to cache in their own way, but they are likewise entitled to discuss that with other like minded cachers.

Some have said that doing the numbers I do, that I'm not enjoying the countryside, well I have to answer that that is up to me to decide. I was never one for sitting on a bench watching a view that doesn't change, and I get to see plenty of wildlife out and about too, just in the last few days, I have seen 4 foxes up close, a deer and uncountable squirrels, rabbits & ducks.

Another way to see the numbers game is that since I started caching, I have visited over 400 places that I would have never thought to go.

If there was a Numbers game forum heading, I would be happy to post in it, but there isn't, so I will continue to discuss it with those that wish to do so here.

I'm quite happy to do 2 or 3 caches in a day. Having said that, I don't mind at all that others want to do record-breaking numbers, and talk about it as well! It won't stop me taking my time, and the title of this thread warns off those who don't want to know about frantic super-caching.

So I don't know why there should be a problem.

One thing that surprises me about the numbers game, though, is that a cache find is regarded as the same (i.e. 1 find) whether it was an easy drive-by or an all-day multi. I would have thought that you'd have to count stars rather than cache numbers, otherwise the figures are not comparable.

"Cacher of the month" should be reserved for the person who picked up the largest number of points, with 1 point for a difficulty star and 1 point for a terrain star. There would then be an extra level of tactics, as you'd have to judge whether (for instance) an isolated 4/4 cache is worth going for. No decision if it's just a "find" - it will be ignored if it appears time-consuming.

HH

I would have thought that you'd have to count stars rather than cache numbers, otherwise the figures are not comparable.

"Cacher of the month" should be reserved for the person who picked up the largest number of points, with 1 point for a difficulty star and 1 point for a terrain star.

The only problem with this is the amount of time it would take to tot up your own score, or for Deego to verify anyone's score. People who are not really competing, but just do it for fun, may be put off entering.

Tigger

You're not wrong humphrey, but we all agreed the rules of COTM a while ago, to keep it simple. Deego who kindly runs the competition doesn't have a vast ammount of time on his hands, so to keep it simple, it was agreed to go 10 points per find, Travel Bugs included, and 20 points for a placing, or TB released (your own not someone else's)

If it was difficulty/terrain dependant, we'd all be getting lathered up about inconsistencies in ratings and incorrectly listed multi's etc. Besides, there aren't that many Drive bys, beleive me. Also to get to the top of that leader board with any kind of consistency, you have to hit every cache regardless, although all day multi's do get skipped, but that's a whole other thread.