Cache Reinstatemant

If you are prepared to adopt the cache and maintain it, I can't see why it wouldn't get reactivated.

First thing to do is probably check out the location and make sure it's still suitable for a cache. If it is, then talk to the reviewers about bringing it back.

Wishing you every success in your endeavour.

- Neil.

Fayrewood Foresters wrote:

i may be being a complete muppet here - but how can you tell it's age from the log number?

The waypoint numbers (GC****) were originally hexadecimal numbers, and now use (I think) a 31 base system (or something similar), with some letters omitted to avoid accidental offensive "words" being formed. They're issued in numerical order as caches are approved. You can't tell the age as such, but the smaller the number the older the cache.

The oldest one in the system, approved on 7th May 2000, is GC004. It's long since archived. I don't know what happened to 001, 002 and 003, if they ever existed.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC4E

I know it's archived but could this still be there?

MarcB

Nope, it never was, this was a test page to test out the GC.com system by faking a cache in each country. Check out the details for "Steve", the owner, who is actually Jeremy.

I'd also like to see some of our older caches being reactivated if someone is willing to maintain them.

Edited by The Wombles

MarcB

Nope, it never was, this was a test page to test out the GC.com system by faking a cache in each country. Check out the details for "Steve", the owner, who is actually Jeremy.

I'd also like to see some of our older caches being reactivated if someone is willing to maintain them.

Never knew that!

Someone should let Learned Gerbil know not to go and look for it now! :mad:

MarcB

MarcB

I am not so sure . I was doing some research and belive a Mr Steve Tuba placed the first UK cache on the 6th of June 2000 . Think it defaults to Jeremys profile. But I have been wrong before :mad:

MarcB wrote:

Never knew that!

Someone should let Learned Gerbil know not to go and look for it now!

No - someone go and put one there quickly! :mad:

How about making it a virtual cache? Cachers would have to get to the place, and supply a photo of themselves with their gps, and a close up photo of their gps showing the co-ords on the screen.

Edited by Fangsy
How about making it a virtual cache? Cachers would have to get to the place, and supply a photo of themselves with their gps, and a close up photo of their gps showing the co-ords on the screen.

I'm afraid a Virtual is unlikely to be listed for this location :mad: I've had a look at the map and aerial photo of the area and it seems to be an open space with trees etc. and really ought to be able to support at least a micro if not a standard cache.

If anybody living (or working) nearby wants to check it out and submit a real cache I'd be happy to consider it for listing. :mad:

Having now visited the site I can say I would also be surprised to find a cache there!

The area around the coordinates were as I remembered them, a managed area of meadow between suburban houses (Berrylands being very much what The Good Life was based on) and The Hogsmill.

The area has been allowed to grow pretty wild, with a small number of trees, but mainly grass, nettle and thistle with wide walkways mowed across it. You can tell it is suburban by the "No Golf" signs! They obviously expect people to think the

mowed regions are fairways!

The problem with placing a regular or micro here is that even this early in the year the nettles and thistles are thigh high, and there is nowhere else to hide things. When the cover dies back in winter any cache would be exposed. There were plenty of people walking their dogs here at 6.30 this evening, and any area that had tree cover showed signs of children from the nearby houses using it as a den or similar. There were a few park benches on the mowed areas and all had been vandalised or were covered in graffitti. An additonal problem is that any cache laid near the listed position would be overlooked by a large number of houses.

However, about 300 yards southwest of the coordinates there is a more wooded area where a very small stream cuts across. I will try and go back and explore this for suitable locations when I am wearing thicker trousers as the thistles and nettles made leaving the fairways no fun at all!

Edited by Learned Gerbil
Learned Gerbil wrote:

However, about 300 yards north of the coordinates there is a more wooded area where a small stream cuts across. I will try and go back and explore this for suitable locations when I am wearing thicker trousers as the thistles and nettles made leaving the fairways no fun at all!

If you place a container in the wooded area, you might want to consider trying to find something near the original spot which you could use for an offset stage, thus keeping the top-of-the-page co-ordinates near to the original ones.