Geocaching In Canada

kcotsenhaf

Hello! I need some help. Planning a business trip to Toronto, Canada the first of June. Would like to do some Geocaching. Problem is how is a good way to do a search? When I search it will only give me results of Ontario. Is there a specific way to narrow the search down to a town or a zip code like here in the states. Any help would be great.... Or if you know any caches on the western side of Toronto.... Thanks

Sorry, folks, but this Yank is still having trouble! We will be in Ontario in July, driving from Sault Ste. Marie north to Hawk Junction, and then via train up to Oba Lake (at train milepost 212).

We'll have time for some GeoCaching. I've tried searches as suggested, and the GC webpage does not recognize any of the Postal Codes I am finding. I am sure there are some caches up in this region to be hunted and found, but I sure can't come up with them!

Any specific detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Grandpa from central Wisconsin, USA

Edited by Gram&Gramps
Sorry, folks, but this Yank is still having trouble! We will be in Ontario in July, driving from Sault Ste. Marie north to Hawk Junction, and then via train up to Oba Lake (at train milepost 212).

We'll have time for some GeoCaching. I've tried searches as suggested, and the GC webpage does not recognize any of the Postal Codes I am finding. I am sure there are some caches up in this region to be hunted and found, but I sure can't come up with them!

Any specific detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Grandpa from central Wisconsin, USA

Grandpa there are lots of caches around the Sault area up to Hawk Junction but none between or near Hawk and Oba. Caches on your route to Hawk would be:

GC:

93F7

4FDF

5F38

B491

71F5

93F5

JDXX

961F

G971

2C37

GVR8

9A6A

88F8

G97R

381E

5f133290-7ab2-441c-a432-a5f060d071b3.jpgSault to Hawk Junction

b71030dd-eaa0-4a3e-b283-a3520af42f19.jpgHawk to Oba Lake

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun, Olar

I've been using Buxley's waypoints webpage to click on caches in the neighbourhood I want to go to and once the cache page pops up, click on "show all nearby caches" for a more detailed list with headings and distances.

Click on the little map on the cache page to enable Mapquest and check if your in the right 'hood.

dutchmaster

Wow Olar!!! How did you create the map with caches already set up?

I need something like that for my trip from Victoria BC to Chicoutimi Quebec! How do I do it?

The map is from Microsoft Streets & Trips 2004. S&T will import waypoints and some basic info if the list is in .csv file format. There are a few programs out there that will take a list of geocaches downloaded as .loc file format or .gpx (must be premium member) and convert it to the necessary format required by S&T. I use GSAK to do this conversion.

The cache info that imports is the cache waypoint number (GCxxxx), coordinates, cache name and hyperlink to cache page.

Once you have all the caches imported and represented by pushpins then you can use a feature that will allow you to create a route from point A to point B and ask it to give you a list of all caches along that route within a distance specified by the user. Keep in mind that these programs have a mind of their own as to route. S&T will take you through the U.S. from Victoria to Chicoutimi so you may have to do yours in sections (multiple waypoints) in order to force it through Canada.

Good luck and have a great trip, Olar

I am sorta new around here, so correct me if I am wrong, but I catch myself doing this all the time. when your at the main page and you do a search for caches by postal code (ex: K4A3N2) it will come up with nothing but an error saying it doesn't recognize the information, and you can search by postal code, zip code etc... the trick is to add the space between the first and second halves, (ex: K4A 3N2) hope that helps..

- graciious