Geocacher's Vest

I'm curious to know if most Geocacher's share this situation. At the time I leave my truck to hit the woods, I look like a kid that just robbed the candy store. Every pocket I have is filled. GPS, radio, something for the cache, extra batteries, knife, etc. I have no more pockets! I'm considering something like a mesh fly fishing vest that has oodles of pockets. Anyone have a better solution?

The topic that came up was mine, just give me a second and I'll get you a link.

Ok, here we go. This is the topic I started about the need for an official/semi-official geocacher's vest. There's a lot of interest in it. And I think Jeremy's looking at price quotes...

Okay, I now see my thread isn't really what you were looking for...

Edited by TeamK-9

Down here in Florida a vest would get warm very fast so I have used Military web gear that I can change around for long and short hunts I have a lrrp butt pack a medical pack I carry a regular compass a back up electronic compass a machette when needed a 3 L Camelbak a camera extra batteries bug spray Mre's for those all day hikes, you can't beat Military gear,

bnolan, Good Luck on the birthday. I, too, am in Florida and the nylon venture vest or a fly fishing vest may still be the best bet. I'll bet Jeremy could get a company to design exactly what we need. Many of the vests I've seen will not accept a GPS in the upper pocket. I believe that would be the best place rather than losing it in one of the larger pockets.

If you're budget minded, then check out the cheap fishing vests that you can find in the sporting goods section of department stores. Keep in mind what you intend to carry so that you can decide if the pockets will work for you.

Fishing vests are typically not used for long hikes, although the crowd that I fish with have been know to hike in a couple of miles (in waders even!) before we start fishing. It can be more tiring to have all of that stuff moving around in the pockets than to have it in a single backpack.

Recently, I've started wearing the photog vest when fast caching, getting in and out of the car every 10 or 15 minutes. It's quicker to work with than the fanny pack or day pack. The GPS, cell phone, flashlight, pens, trade goods, travel bugs, food bar, multi-tool, cache notes, and camera are always there.

Have to remember to zip the camera, though. Last week while bending down to look through roots overhanging a creek, the camera slipped out and went glub glub glub.

As a bonus, in a vest stuffed with equipment, you kinda look like a surveyor, or arborist, or bird watcher, or something.

This is the vest I use. It carries everything you could possibly need on long hikes/caching trips in the woods. I guess its not the typical vest everyone else uses. Its better than a backpack because it fits snug and does shift or sway when climbing or running.link