Own Up ! Who Knicked Them?

GeocacheUK covers caches in the UK, the Republic of Ireland and the Isle of Man, so the difference isn't due to Irish ones.

Gcuk includes at least some archived caches in that total, as you can see if you search for all caches. Use the advanced search page, and leave all boxes clear. Note the total above the results. Then check the 'include archived/unavailable' box and search again.

I imagine gcuk includes archived (show) but not archived (hide) caches, but I wouldn't have thought there were enough of the latter to make up the difference.

Buxley's also includes listings from other caching sites...

Yup, there are quite a few listings that do not show here, including 46 or so from a certain Mr Lovelock, that show up on other sites. Most of them have been listed here in the past, but for some reason or another, whilst they still exist, they have been archived. If you look hard enough here, they can be found, they just don't show on the UK totals.

Could the 172 be Southern Ireland?

Although it's a minor technicality it still bugs me slightly...

There is no such place as Southern Ireland. Although there is an entity known as Northern Ireland, this does not mean that there is a paradoxical 'southern' state.

There is, of course, the Republic of Ireland.

Bear also in mind that Northern Ireland is also referred to as 'Ulster' sometimes, although this is not entirely true, as the area termed Northern Ireland contains six counties - and not nine - as the ancient province of Ulster does (the difference being Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal).

So, folks, I point to an opinion I still hold since I started caching - that more attention should be paid to the word 'geo' and hence geographical, not political boundaries.

Brillig shows the island of Ireland, the GeocacheUK database uses the two islands, unfortunatly the Geocaching Association of Great Britain only sees fit to extend it's representation to the six counties.

Anyway - enough about numbers and borders - get out into the open!