Topo And (s&d Or Dr) = Truly Cool

For the benefit of those who don't frequent the Meridian users group, let me relay a nifty discovery (credit: Mikhail). If you have a full install of either Streets& Destinations or Direct Route, *and* Topo, there is a way to bring the topo information into the other program so you can not only display it on your computer screen, but also create a single detail map for GPSr combining the data.

Copy the following items in the Topo MAP folder into the S&D or DR MAP folder:

1. \MAP\BLX folder

2. \MAP\topo3d.ini

3. \MAP\topo3d.cfg

Add the following to the [PATH] section of the mapsend.ini file in the root directory of S&D/DR:

Topo3DInit=topo3d.ini,BLX0

After I did this, the topo lines displayed in DirectRoute, and on creating a region there was an option to check the topo box to include the contour lines in the detail map file--just like in Topo.

This doesn't seem to increase the size of the files too much (although I've only tried a small region so far). I don't think I'll be ditching my Topo detail files, as the POIs don't appear to carry over. But I am hopeful I'll be switching maps less often.

I'd best amend the foregoing. Further reports indicate that both DirectRoute and Streets&Destinations will display the contour lines on the computer if the steps above are taken. However, only DR will compile the contour lines into the detail map files for display on the GPSr; S&D won't.