Any Feedback On Garmin Foretrex 101

Can't comment on the foretrex, I have a Forerunner, which is pretty similar. I've found 20+ caches with it so far.

If you are primarily interested in it for fitness, I'd consider the forerunner over the foretrex. There are a few users here who use the forerunner for caching, and it works fairly well. I've also used it for training, as well as when I ran my first marathon in the spring. Course measured out at 26.19 - so pretty accurate. Nice toy to keep your mind occupied on a long run.

Might also want to check out Yahoo group for Foretrex & Forerunner

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/etrexforerunner/

BTW, I transfer waypoints directly to the Forerunner using GSAK, and get the directional arrow / distance to loacate them. You don't have to manually enter waypoints into either unit

Edited by NSMB

I bought both a Foretrex 201 and Forerunner 201 last week. The customization is quite different: the Forerunner is really a running watch with basic waypoint and track information. The Foretrex is a standard non-mapping GPS, pretty similar to the Geko 201. With the Foretrex, I miss the map from my old Meridian GPS, but I do love the form factor of the Foretrex. I am new to Geocaching, but I have already used the Foretrex to locate three caches.

If I were buying only one, I'd get the Foretrex. But if you do a lot of running or cycling and can spare the money, I'd also get the Forerunner. And if Garmin introduces a Foretrex with mapping, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Edited by gglockner

I have been using the Foretrex 101 for a little over a week now. I had been using the Garmin G-12, but wanted something smaller and lighter. I generally do not prefer mapping GPS units because I always carry a paper map anyway. I am relatively new to geocaching, but I have found 4 urban caches with my Foretrex in the past week or so.

The basic gps functions are great, the only thing I have missed so far from my G-12 is the ability to add a comment to the waypoint. With the 101 you need to buy the pc interface cable separatelyl; it comes with the 201.

I prefer the 101 because I did not want to have to worry about recharging the 201 while on any backpacking trips. AAA batteries are so light, I will always take at least one spare set. Battery life is good. I have not kept any detailed logs, but I have been using it a lot (at home with the backlight and not in batter save mode) and not been disappointed in the battery life.

I would like to see some sort of carry case for the Foretrex. I realize it is intended to be worn on the wrist, and in some instances I can see myself doing that. But, I would also like a case so I can hang it from my pack or something. I just bought a small case intended for a digital camera. That seems to work well.

Bottom line: I am happy with my Foretrex 101 thus far. Your mileage may vary.

I have been using the Foretrex 101 for a little over a week now. I had been using the Garmin G-12, but wanted something smaller and lighter. I generally do not prefer mapping GPS units because I always carry a paper map anyway. I am relatively new to geocaching, but I have found 4 urban caches with my Foretrex in the past week or so.

The basic gps functions are great, the only thing I have missed so far from my G-12 is the ability to add a comment to the waypoint. With the 101 you need to buy the pc interface cable separatelyl; it comes with the 201.

I prefer the 101 because I did not want to have to worry about recharging the 201 while on any backpacking trips. AAA batteries are so light, I will always take at least one spare set. Battery life is good. I have not kept any detailed logs, but I have been using it a lot (at home with the backlight and not in batter save mode) and not been disappointed in the battery life.

I would like to see some sort of carry case for the Foretrex. I realize it is intended to be worn on the wrist, and in some instances I can see myself doing that. But, I would also like a case so I can hang it from my pack or something. I just bought a small case intended for a digital camera. That seems to work well.

Bottom line: I am happy with my Foretrex 101 thus far. Your mileage may vary.

How did you manage to get hold of a foretrex 101?! I thought they weren't even out yet? :)

any issues with keeping satellite reception with your arms at your sides?  If I have my rhino at my side, it loses satellites in heavy cover.  This is my main concern that i will constantly lose reception as I'm walking with my arms down.

Actually, I've not worn the Foretrex as intended (on the wrist). I hate anything on my wrist, even a wristwatch. So' I'm afraid I cannot answer this question. I have kept the unit in my shirt pocket without losing satellites. I have also kept it in a fabric carrying case mounted on my bike and not lost coverage (in that instance, however, the unit was facing up).