I`ve Started, So I`ll Fin...

:huh: Ok, I`ve found two.

I`ve become a premier member, got a palm Vx from Ebay, have cachmate and GSAK loaded have a PQ of 500 cache but how do I download the rest of the caches without downloading the same ones I already have.

Also how do I get caches in a partituclar area i.e I going to the Isle of Wight soon and only want the caches that are placed on the Isle how do I make a Pq for these only.

Thanks

Geo

The one definite way to prevent getting any overlap in PQ's is to do them by date created. At the moment, you can get all 3000+ UK caches in 7 queries (or maybe it is 8 now?). The trouble with this is that you have to download them all each time you want an update to all the logs (there may be other ways, but this does work). This may not matter if you are on Broadband, but for dial-up it will be a bit slow.

As far as the Isle of Wight goes, with a pocket query you can do area caches by distance from postcode or co-ords, but you'd need to move your centre point around and change the "distance from" until you get the right results. You may get a few extras on the mainland, but you'd have to ignore those.

EDIT: I've just done this for you using Memory-Map Navigator. If you choose N50°34.308, W1°19.196 as the centre point, and get caches within 14 miles, this should give you all of them, just about. Increase it to 15 miles to be sure, buy you may get some mainland ones along the Solent perhaps.

Edited by Stuey

Here's a bright idea. Centre your search on Dan & Pid's cache at the very southern tip of the island; The Pepperpot to minimise hits on the mainland. You might pick up some mid channel though... :huh:

Actually, here's a question for the group. Which is the smallest island off the British coast to be home to a cache? (and I'll accept a Channel Island) Lundy? St. Michaels Mount? I'd love to know :P

SP

P.S. The Isle of Dogs doesn't count! Anyway, Harold has already done my virtual there :P

Edited by Simply Paul
At the moment, you can get all 3000+ UK caches in 7 queries (or maybe it is 8 now?).

It's 8... The dates I use are:

01/12/2000 - 28/06/2002 (494 caches)

29/06/2002 - 25/01/2003 (498 caches)

26/01/2003 - 22/05/2003 (494 caches)

23/03/2003 - 19/09/2003 (497 caches)

20/09/2003 - 25/01/2004 (498 caches)

26/01/2004 - 11/04/2004 (485 caches)

12/04/2004 - 04/06/2004 (489 caches)

05/06/2004 - 13/06/2004 (70 caches)

I'll change the final date each week until it reaches 500 and then create #9

As for caches in a particular area.... don't bother about a PQ... do it in GSAK. Once you have all the UK caches loaded, use the GSAK filter to give you the caches you need, export them as a GPX files and load that into a new database.

I run the above dates as PQs once a week on Monday and Tuesday and 'merge' them into my existing 'ALL UK' database to update any caches that have changed and to bring in the latest finders logs. On Friday I run two more PQs... one for caches placed in the last 7 days, one for caches updated in the last 7 days and merge them also. Then I export the whole lot to my iQue. This makes sure I have the latest information for the weekend.

It really doesn't take to long, honest :lol:

Here's a bright idea. Centre your search on Dan & Pid's cache at the very southern tip of the island

Actually, here's a question for the group. Which is the smallest island off the British coast to be home to a cache?

The coords that I used where from the southern tip of the island.

As fasr as Island caches go, there is one in the approval queue off the coast of South Devon at Burgh Island which is a pretty small island.

EDIT: I've just done this for you using Memory-Map Navigator. If you choose N50°34.308, W1°19.196 as the centre point, and get caches within 14 miles, this should give you all of them, just about. Increase it to 15 miles to be sure, buy you may get some mainland ones along the Solent perhaps.

Thanks for that, I`ll give that a try.

Geo

It's 8... The dates I use are:

01/12/2000 - 28/06/2002 (494 caches)

29/06/2002 - 25/01/2003 (498 caches)

26/01/2003 - 22/05/2003 (494 caches)

23/03/2003 - 19/09/2003 (497 caches)

20/09/2003 - 25/01/2004 (498 caches)

26/01/2004 - 11/04/2004 (485 caches)

12/04/2004 - 04/06/2004 (489 caches)

05/06/2004 - 13/06/2004 (70 caches)

I'll change the final date each week until it reaches 500 and then create #9

As for caches in a particular area.... don't bother about a PQ... do it in GSAK. Once you have all the UK caches loaded, use the GSAK filter to give you the caches you need, export them as a GPX files and load that into a new database.

I run the above dates as PQs once a week on Monday and Tuesday and 'merge' them into my existing 'ALL UK' database to update any caches that have changed and to bring in the latest finders logs. On Friday I run two more PQs... one for caches placed in the last 7 days, one for caches updated in the last 7 days and merge them also. Then I export the whole lot to my iQue. This makes sure I have the latest information for the weekend.

It really doesn't take to long, honest :lol:

Thanks it does seem like a lot of work but I`ll give it a try. Once I have them all downloaded I think Gsak will give me the details I need.

Geo

The coords that I used where from the southern tip of the island.

As fasr as Island caches go, there is one in the approval queue off the coast of South Devon at Burgh Island which is a pretty small island.

Sorry Stuey, I miss-read you original log as being from the centre of the island. Apologies.

Thanks for the nod towards Burgh Island. I've also found a tiny island off Guernsey which can be reached by causeway at low tide :D

SP