Waypoints Checked Download In Loc & Gpx?

BuzzKill

I offer the suggestion that premium members also have the ability to download waypoints in GPX format in addition to LOC format from the seek results page. Premium members already have the ability to download in GPX format from cache pages and via pocket queries, but cannot do it via the check boxes from a seek result (but they can download in LOC).

I don't know if this requires too much processing power to manage, but I was thinking that it might help lessen the pocket query load if people were able to run small-area queries like this on their own. I could be totally wrong on this, though. :D

Are we talking about the same thing? Let me explain in more detail what I mean.

What I mean is when somebody types in a zip code and a distance from the Seek page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/) and are given results, everyone (regular & premium members) can check a box next to the waypoints they're interested in and then click a link at the bottom to download those waypoints as an LOC file. Would it be possible to have the option added for premium members to also download the selected waypoints as a GPX file instead?

Does that require processing by the Pocket Query server(s)? If so, then I totally understand. If not, is it something that could be added?

I hope I'm not driving you around in circles. :)

I understood what you said. GPX files contains the description, logs, whether there are travel bugs in them, etc. It creates a strain on the database and the file size is rather large, which is why they are run in batch processes instead of "on demand."

I think this will work for you though. In the future we do plan to add the ability for people to create lists. When surfing the site and you see a cache, you will be able to add it to your current list. After you're done you can run a pocket query to generate that list and email it to you as a GPX, eBook, etc.

That would work PERFECTLY! I like the idea of being able to pick and choose caches that look interesting from multiple search result pages and then downloading all of them in GPX format at once (or have them emailed to me). Talk about search flexibility!

I'd assume that this would count as one of the 5 daily pocket queries that premium members are allowed. At least I'd expect it to be.

Edited by BuzzKill