Moved Caches

A few micros in the area where moved by the owner to new locations (0.5 to 3 miles). If they've been moved to new areas, are they considered to be 'new' caches and become 'fair game' again?

Wulf

If the caches are moved that far, they should have been re-submitted as a new cache. Since they somehow got thru the system, I'd say it's fair game to relog them.

We've got one around here that was not moved, but was archived and then listed as a different cache. [No longer a multi.] We were FTF the second cache but that's just silly. I didn't want to log it as a find since we had already really found it earlier. But it kept bugging me... sitting on my list of nearby caches... claiming to be unfound... so I went back and changed my find on the first cache listing to a note and then logged the new one as a find.

Sure, why not? If they're hidden in a different spot, wouldn't it be a different find?

I'm biased towards the double logs. I'll be moving my caches in a couple of weeks and anyone who logged them before can log them again. Of course, the caches are going to be replaced 4500 miles away!

I just recently had to move the final for a multi of mine (due to construction destroying the original site). All the waypoints were the same, just a new calculation and final hide site. I debated whether to archive and re-post, but decided that I wanted to keep the 'history' of the cache. On the updated page I stated that a re-find was OK with me.

You can always e-mail the hider and ask if they mind a re-find.

A few micros in the area where moved by the owner to new locations (0.5 to 3 miles).  If they've been moved to new areas, are they considered to be 'new' caches and become 'fair game' again?

Wulf

If the caches are moved that far, they should have been re-submitted as a new cache. Since they somehow got thru the system, I'd say it's fair game to relog them.

I agree. Move it 50 feet, thats one thing, but a move of 1/2 to 3 miles is a totally different hunt and should be a new page. I would hope the local approver wouldn't allow someone to move a cache 3 miles :huh: . It's not the same cache, so I don't even see the point of doing it.

As far as re logging, ask the owner, but if he moved it a significant distance, I can't see him saying no.

Edited by briansnat
Sure, why not? If they're hidden in a different spot, wouldn't it be a different find?

I'm biased towards the double logs. I'll be moving my caches in a couple of weeks and anyone who logged them before can log them again. Of course, the caches are going to be replaced 4500 miles away!

I'm biased towards an accurate record of the caches I found.

If I found your caches in Germany, and I'd never found any caches outside of Europe, I'd be pretty hosed if all of a sudden my statistics reflected that I had found some caches in the United States. Similarly, since I live in the US, I keep close track of how many states I've found caches in, and it would be odd to suddenly see Texas pop up on my finds list, even though I've never cached there.

Please, just archive your caches in Germany and set up new ones at your destination. You'll discover anyways that you are unable to edit the coordinates to move them that far.

Good luck with your move!

We've had to move two caches and they were not near the original locations. I let people know on the cache page that since it had been moved, they were welcome to come log them again.

If a cache has simply been replaced, I wouldn't log it again.

If it has been moved to a completely different location, I would log it again if the owner thought it was okay.

Your best bet might be to email the cache owner and see what they have to say about it. :)

Edited by Imajika
If it has been moved to a completely different location, I would log it again if the owner thought it was okay.

If its moved to a completely different location, then the old one should be archived and a new one created. That should eliminate any question about whether or not you can re-log.

A few micros in the area where moved by the owner to new locations (0.5 to 3 miles).  If they've been moved to new areas, are they considered to be 'new' caches and become 'fair game' again?

Wulf

Owner intent rules. If they say it's ok, it's ok. If they say it's not, it's not.

Yes, but:

Recently a multiple near us was archived, and a new traditional popped up, with a new listing, at the same point as the final coordinates of the archived multi. The owner asked on the cache page that it not be logged by people who found the oringal multi. I protested, not because I wanted an easy find, but because otherwise it would keep showing up as the nearest unfound cache from home. the owner wouldn't change her mind, though. She agreed to make an exception for me, but I would feel silly if my Find would violate anexplicit rule on the cache page. She didn't want to delete the rule.

The end of the story was that she rehid her cache a few hundred feet away from the original location, and removed her objection. However, if she hadn't, the rule is that a new listing is a new cache, and that a cache owner cannot prohibt someone who found another cache at the same location from finding your cache. In this case, owner preferences would need to be overruled.

Edited by Shunra