Cache Location

Hi,

I have created a historical multi cache in which one part is in a public cemetary. I read the rules for creating a cache and I am curious if this would be consedered a sensitive area and would not qualify. I can modify the cache not to include this location but it has great historical significance and will be a shame to have to eliminate it.

Thank you for your input.

Bob M.

Team Tyler

Theres one in my area thats in a cemetary: Eternal Flame - Forest Lawn.

As far as if this is an okay place to hide it, it is a case by case issue. Is this leg of the multi a virtual or an actual container? If it is a virtual (where you use found information to give coords for the leg) then I dont see a problem. If it is a container, where is it to be placed? Is is somewhere that would be disrespectful for someone to be searching?

We've had this thread just a couple weeks back, so I'll be brief. The only ones who might be offended by your actions in the cemetary are the living. Be careful not to become a public problem. "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord," means - there's no one there, just the shell.

I think many people feel it's OK, as long as it's in an "older" part of a cemetary, or an old cemetary, period. Basically, don't have geocachers hunting in an area where there's going to be new burials. We don't need to be playing our game while family is there grieving.

In Washington State, we have a series called "Cemetery Quest". This was put together by HeadLlama, and is a pretty popular series. As far as I know, there have been no issues with it. The series is located in mostly older, and nearly unused cemeteries here. The containers, with the sole exception of the final, are micro-sized.

One cache in a cemetery, unrelated to the quest was pilfered a month or so ago, but that was most likely kids.

I have a cache in one of the few older cemeteries that HeadLlama managed to miss around here. My container is also a micro.

For a cache in a cemetery, I think that a micro is the best. There is less possibility of being spotted by those that might be offended, and there is less disruption of the grounds.

Regardless of your personal beliefs on death, religion, or anything that might be related to a cemetery, I have always believed that one should be respectful.

I see nothing wrong with a cemetary as a location, if done respectfully. We have a series called R.I.P. that was places to draw attention to some unusual history. Some of the locations have graves dating back to the Revolutionary War. We have had one negative comment about one placement (moved to eliminate the perception) and numerous thanks about bringing them to the interesting history, stones, etc., that the site contains. After all, isn't that pretty much what draws most of to this anyway? :laughing: